PDA

View Full Version : Curious...

Bill Webber
12-29-2005, 8:43 PM
Hi All,

A while baack someone posted about a deal on Amazon for a level, a tape measure, and a knife for $20. I put in the order, with the coupon provided, and sure enough I got all three products for the advertised $20.

What is really curious is that all three tools came in separate deliveries. On the second delivery, the tape measure, the UPS guy got stuck on the ice in my driveway. Took him about 45 minutes to get the chains on and dig on out.

The last delivery was this 12 x 12 x 4 inch box with the little knife and lots of those air filled packing pillows. So, how can a company sell and deliver these products for $20 when the UPS guy comes to my house three times? Simple rhetorical question... any opinions considered. :) Principles of the 'loss leader' come to mind.

The knife is marked 'Sheffield Mfg' as a brand name. Pretty shameful piggyback of some old and nice steel products. It's kinda cool with lots of gizmocity factors. Lots of screws, a belt clip (useful on airlines), lots of slide and fold stuff, and a big pin that seems to have no purpose whatsoever! And it's prominently marked 'US Patent Pending' . It came with a pack of 15 - 20 blades, too.

Thanks to whomever posted the note to go get it. Nice $20 deal!

Just ramblin',

Bill W.
Woodworkers visit me at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/wWebber/

Paul Prescott
12-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Many times different parts of an order come from different Amazon distribution centers. And I've received a single pack of Bosch detail sandpaper in the same 12x12x4 size box stuffed with air pillows. A padded envelope would have worked better. I keep wondering how Amazon makes any profit at all!

Dave Richards
12-30-2005, 6:15 AM
Sure, they might lose money by shipping like that but they make it up in volume. :D :D

I've gotten things from them that way, too. I expect that due to their volume, UPS and the rest give them a big break as do the carton and bubble manufacturers.

It is probably also easier and faster to limit the number of package sizes available. I suppose that helps reduce costs as well. Instead of ordering 50,000 padded envelopes and 50,000 12x12 boxes, they just order 100,000 boxes.

Glenn Clabo
12-30-2005, 7:08 AM
I ordered 7 Besseys before Christmas...4 24" and 3 50". Six of them came in separate boxes from differant places. One other box came labeled 24" Clamp but it was a silver plate. I emailed them and told them...they told me to return it and they'd send me 4 clamps. I told them they misunderstand, clearly this is handled in India, and all I wanted was my clamp. They sent 4 24" clamps from 4 different places! Now I'm not a crook so I told them and they said...it's a pleasure doing buisness with you. Enjoy your clamps!

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-30-2005, 7:21 AM
A few years back we ordered 36 or so Jorgensen I-Bar clamps from Amazon...24 of the 48" and 12 of the 72". As I recall, they came in individual boxes, each with a separate shipping and tracking number, and a handful at a time over a couple week period. Total shipping was $5.00...and that covered the return and RESHIPMENT of 8 or 10 that were the wrong size.

KC