PDA

View Full Version : Leather Table Top Repair

Jack Stehr
07-19-2020, 12:10 AM
A large amount of water was spilled on the corner of this table and left for 1-2 days. The table is estimated to be about 100 years old. The leather has lifted off of the wood is multiple areas, is darkened and the wood underneath has buckled. The damaged area has been drying for several days and is still slightly damp. The owner would like to not replace the leather. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew Hughes
07-19-2020, 12:41 AM
I suggest you wish him/her well good luck shake hands walk away.

Mel Fulks
07-19-2020, 1:18 AM
The husband of an aunt ,worked for years at the Lane Furniture Co. In the '60s they were making a lot of tables with
leather tops. They are (or were) located about 30 or 40 miles west of Lynchburg Va. He always made a big deal of the tables and the gold leaf. I'm betting they used hide glue on the leather. I would test a corner with a thin probe, if it lifts easily , I would remove it. Then smooth the surface of the
top, and re glue the leather.

Derek Cohen
07-19-2020, 4:35 AM
I agree with Mel. Do a little research on removing leather tops fixed with hide glue. I imagine it would come off with (gentle) heat and moisture, perhaps steam. Protect the leather if you use a hairdryer/heat gun. Work from under the leather rather than the top. (Don't assume I know anything here - just my thoughts).

Clean up the wooden surface. Let it dry. Then re-attach.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bradley Gray
07-19-2020, 6:29 AM
I agree with Andrew-
I suggest you wish him/her well good luck shake hands walk away

David Utterback
07-19-2020, 8:30 AM
You may need to consider how to prevent distortion of the leather dimensions if treated with water for removal. Just a thought since I have no experience in this regard. Good luck.

Phil Mueller
07-19-2020, 9:36 AM
Just for the challenge, I think I would take the project. But only with a signed agreement that there is no guarantee whatsoever that the leather will survive the process. I would also add a lot of hours. Removing that leather in one piece (if even possible) is going to be a colossal exercise in patience.

You might want to send an email to Thomas Johnson (furniture restorer in Maine...many YouTube videos) and see if he would be willing to offer any advice).

Jim Matthews
07-19-2020, 7:22 PM
The question that cannot be answered until the leather is lifted: what was damaged in the substrate?

If this is a paid job, get paid first.

Make the owner sign an acknowledgement that results can't be guaranteed.

Mel Fulks
07-19-2020, 10:41 PM
I wish I could remember more of what the uncle said about those tables. It was just one or two workmen who did those leather tops, no part was asigned to helpers. They did gold perimeter, everything. I think the glue is probably hide ,or
rabbit and of the right strength to be reversible .