PDA

View Full Version : Inlay Question

Jacob Mac
07-18-2020, 10:25 PM
I'm working on an inlay, and am running in to an issue. The inlay is of a nesturtium flower and I want the stems and leaves to be green. I'm having a hard time finding something that works. Should I just paint the stem/leaves? Dye it? I saw one person say they used Eastern Maple infused with acrylic, but I'm unsure exactly what that process entails. Use some type of crushed stone? Or just scrap the idea?

Pretty new to inlay so I'm sure this is a basic question, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Matt Day
07-18-2020, 10:34 PM
Poplar usually has some vivid greens in it.

Michelle Rich
07-19-2020, 4:43 AM
there are dyed green veneers on the market.

Max Neu
07-19-2020, 6:22 AM
I wouldn't use poplar,the green will turn brown after a short period of time. B&B veneers sells dyed veneers.They are dyed all the way through,so no worries about sanding through the color.

Matt Day
07-19-2020, 7:47 AM
I wouldn't use poplar,the green will turn brown after a short period of time.
Good call.

Phil Mueller
07-19-2020, 8:24 AM
As others mentioned, you can buy dyed veneer. Sauers offers a pack with various green tones (can be ordered direct, from Woodcraft, and many others). The nice thing about dyed veneer is that it still has wood grain vs painting.

Lee Schierer
07-19-2020, 8:50 AM
Poplar usually has some vivid greens in it.

Poplar does at times have green in it but the green will turn brown upon prolonged exposure to light....

When my dad was alive he did a lot of Marquetry and purchased at least some of his materials from Constantines (https://www.constantines.com/dyedveneer.aspx). He made several pieces with green leaves from dyed wood that still hold their color after many years.

Jacob Mac
07-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.