PDA

View Full Version : S45 v MM16

Joe Mioux
12-29-2005, 7:51 PM
I would like to hear a few comparisons between these two bandsaws.

Pro and Con

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 8:07 PM
S45 is actually manufactered by SCM (Mini Max's Italian parent) and has been around for a long time. However, it's not anything like the MM16/MM20 in construction relative to weight, stiffness, power, resaw capacity, etc. They are manufactuered by Centauro (also Italy) and are part of the Mini Max USA lineup. If you can swing a few hundred more, the MM16 (http://www.minimax-usa.com/bandsaws/mm16.html) is a much better machine, but the S45 (http://www.minimax-usa.com/bandsaws/s45.html) is quite nice if it will meet your needs.

Cecil Arnold
12-29-2005, 8:17 PM
The only thing I can add to what Jim said is that the MM16 just seems to get better over time. They have added HP, Weight (stiffness) and resaw height over the past year or so.

Richard Wolf
12-29-2005, 9:38 PM
The foot brake, larger motor and larger resaw capacity of the MM16 make it a much better investment.

Richard

tod evans
12-30-2005, 8:43 AM
mm16 worth the few extra bucks...02

Tom Pritchard
12-30-2005, 8:47 AM
The foot brake, larger motor and larger resaw capacity of the MM16 make it a much better investment.

Richard

Richard states the reasons that I went with the MM16 over the S45 when I purchased my saw. When you divide out the difference in cost over the years that you will be using the saw, the price difference seems to small to justify going with the S45. I have nothing but good to say about MiniMax and their saws, I think you will be pleased either way! Let us know what you decide, OK? Good luck!

Dennis McDonaugh
12-30-2005, 1:54 PM
Joe, there is no comparison between the two saws, the mm16 is industrial quality and the s45 is not. That's not to say the s45 isn't a good machine because it is, its just not as powerful, capable, or built as robustly as the mm16.

joseph j shields
12-30-2005, 4:52 PM
Joe,

I bought the S45 and 1 day later the rep @ MM called and had a MM16 demo unit for a $150 more.

I ended up with the MM16 and love it.

-jj

Dave Loebach
12-30-2005, 5:18 PM
I own a S45 and love it. It is one of those tools that works just like I expect it to work every time. It's aboslutely a great machine. You couldn't go wrong buying one. However, I did examine a MM16 at a show about a year ago. I didn't use it, but I checked it out very carefully. I was impressed. It is sloid and very well built. SCM thought of everything. The only two reasons I'd buy a would be if I needed the extra distance from the blade to the support. Other than that I'd spend the extra bucks and get the MM16. Go for it. You won't regret it.

Dave Loebach

Joe Mioux
12-30-2005, 7:44 PM
Wow. Everything I hear, is that S45 is really good, but the MM16 is great! There is no consideration of the price difference. The concensus is, MM16 irregardless of price.

So, let me re-phrase my inquiry. Why would one buy a S45? In the >$1500 price range, what else is out there? What would be comparable to the S45?

One other question: Most would say that the MM16 is an industrial grade bandsaw, why does a hobbyist need an industrial grade BS?

Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to get a accurate comparison of these two saws for a hobbyist woodworker.

In addition: if you were MM and had a flagship product such as the MM16, why would you bother with the S45?

Joe

FWIW: MM16 has pulled away from the pack, but I am playing a bit of a devil's advocate here.

Gary Herrmann
12-30-2005, 7:49 PM
I think General makes a 15" bs for 1200 - 1500 (and it has a cast iron frame)? I seem to remember seeing it in a catalog recently. I bought an MM16 because I liked the resaw height without having to use a riser block. And considering what you may ask of a bs, the additional hp of the MM16 is worth the cost, IMHO. I've been very happy with mine.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-30-2005, 8:23 PM
Wow. Everything I hear, is that S45 is really good, but the MM16 is great! There is no consideration of the price difference. The concensus is, MM16 irregardless of price.

So, let me re-phrase my inquiry. Why would one buy a S45? In the >$1500 price range, what else is out there? What would be comparable to the S45?

One other question: Most would say that the MM16 is an industrial grade bandsaw, why does a hobbyist need an industrial grade BS?

Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to get a accurate comparison of these two saws for a hobbyist woodworker.

In addition: if you were MM and had a flagship product such as the MM16, why would you bother with the S45?

Joe

FWIW: MM16 has pulled away from the pack, but I am playing a bit of a devil's advocate here.

I guess the short answer is you don't really need an industrial grade bandsaw, but the mm16 is really sweet. I don't think there is much difference between using a contractor table saw and a cabinet saw. The cabinet saw cuts a little faster, but since the capacity is really only 3 and 1/2 inches its not really a whole lot faster. The top is very similar in size and the fences are usually pretty comparable too.

A bandsaw is a whole different ball game. There are big differences in resaw capacity and HP which really makes a big difference in the way they perform. I had a 14" bs with 1 hp motor and resawing anything near the 12" capacity was slow and it was difficult to consistently saw wide, thin veneer. The mm16 has a lot more hp and a much stronger frame which means you can tension wider blades and utilize different tooth configurations. The end result is a saw which saws much faster and straighter. You can't appreciate the difference until you try both.

The s45 is a nice saw, its price point and performance are targeted to a different consumer.

Joe Mioux
01-03-2006, 8:51 PM
O.K.

Here is what the new S45 has over its previous version and some comparions between the MM16.

Bigger motor 2.5hp than prev version
S45 has bigger table than mm16
mobile base built in, saw does not rest on the wheels as it does on others.
18 inch wheels v mm16 inch wheels --translation 2 ins more in the throat.
Improve fence v old version...new high low feature
Resaw capacity changed from 10 inch to 12 inches
Improved guides.
Fit and finish (from what I heard) better than mm16.

This is just a fyi post. I am still on the fence between the two, but I thought this post might be of some interest to all of you.

Joe

Clint Malone
01-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Whatever happened to the Minimax E16 that they were selling for about 1K early in 2005? I never heard anything else about it.

Cecil Arnold
01-04-2006, 11:47 PM
I wondered the same thing. I mentioned it in a posting, then when I went to the MM web I didn't see it and had to do an edit and admit to being stupid. Of course I already knew I could be stupid but really hate to admit it to the world.

Jim Becker
01-05-2006, 9:40 AM
I asked Dain about the E16 at a show recently. At that time, it was still in the line, but not being advertised. Perhaps refinements are being made.

Yance Kudzu
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I placed an order for a e16 in december, they are no longer going for $1,000. I paid $1400 including shipping - I didn't ask why they are not advertising them but there is one heck of a waiting list ... carl from MM told me that there are a bunch of folks waiting for them and I should expect to see mine in about 3 months. He also said the $1000 models were pre-production saws, and they did make some refinements and that is part of the reason for the higher $.

John Callahan
01-05-2006, 7:53 PM
Got some pics of the S45N a week or so ago- it looks good and considerably improved over the previous S45. Seen the MM16 at a ww show- impressive but the extra $500 it cost isn't exactly chump change.

Joe Mioux
01-05-2006, 7:57 PM
Hmmm. an E16 costs $1400 v compared to S45 (yr end sale) at $1595.
I emailed Dain, just before I saw this post, so hopefully he will fill me in on the refinements to the E16. I also have a query in on the S16.

Clint Malone
01-06-2006, 12:08 AM
I ended up getting the Grizzly G0566 over the S45 or E16. It is worth taking a look at. I set mine up with a Lenox carbide blade and a power feeder for less than a stock MM16. No problems resawing boards (I have done up to 11.5 inches), max is 14.25" I think. I get a glue line cut with this setup.