PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 124-21400 vs. Rikon 10-305 parts?

Donald G. Burns
07-17-2020, 9:30 AM
The 10" Craftsman 124-21400 and Rikon 10-305 were both the same basic saw. Other than paint color almost the exact same saws. So I purchased the Craftsman 124-21400 10" band saw vs. the Rikon 10-305 way back when both were in production because the Sears saw was less money. Much less money because not only was the retail price less, but because Sears gave me an extra 10% off because I'm a veteran.

So time has passed and I'm thinking it might be time to pick up some spare parts while they are still available. Not major stuff, simple things like a new drive belt and some replacement plastic table insets. So I look on the Rikon replacement parts website and the 10-305 parts are listed as out of stock. I then notice that they also list parts for the Craftsman 21400 saw and have both parts listed for it as in stock. Also that the table insert is priced each vs a four pack and I order "Craftsman" parts and they came in just a few days.

So if there's any 10-305 owners out there and need parts PDQ that appear to be out of stock do take a look at the Craftsman 21400 parts list before giving up. Rikon has moved on with improved versions of these two machines and I'm not sure if many if not all parts swap with the newer models! Some are surely not the same for dual speed versions.

Tom M King
07-17-2020, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I bought one from Sears too, when it was on sale for $165, and later picked up another one off CL for much less. I looked at them closely, when I was first looking, and the only thing different was the color of the doors, and badge. I keep a Carter stabilizer on one. They're very decent little bandsaws.

Donald G. Burns
07-17-2020, 3:37 PM
Love mine too. I don't miss a bigger 14" table size, but could wish maybe an inch more cut height for resawing, otherwise nearly exactly the size I can use for 99.99% of my needs. I added the Rikon base for their version of these saws since Sears doesn't seem to offered it. Or hasn't in some time, I guess. My local Sears had some Sears or Craftsman branded 70.5" blades in a single package (1/8", 1/4" & 3/8") for under $15 as a close out three or four years ago and I grabbed them and got 10% off on them too.

Do you have the model of the Carter you added? I looked at the 1-RIK1 some time back and didn't see the 10" Craftsman listed and never followed up to see if it works for them.