PDA

View Full Version : What’s your woodworking pocketknife?

Tony Wilkins
07-16-2020, 6:34 PM
One thing I notice in reading older woodworking resources (the twentieth century ones especially) is that a pocket knife is assumed kit. It’s used as a marking knife and many operations. I bought a sloyd knife that I hesitate to use sometimes because it’s such a nice piece of tool art. I also have the spear pointed marking knife that has been the darling of the magazines, books, and videos these last few years. I find myself using an awl more now. I still haven’t started using a traditional pocketknife in the shop, though I tossed a cheap one in my Toolchest.

Do you use a pocket knife in the shop? What for? What do you look for from a good shop pocketknife?

ken hatch
07-16-2020, 7:01 PM
BenchCrafted sells the best pocket knife I've found. https://www.benchcrafted.com/mercator-knife

ken
(https://www.benchcrafted.com/mercator-knife)

Jim Koepke
07-16-2020, 7:17 PM
This isn't necessarily a 'shop knife' but one is always in my pocket:

When ever these are seen by the original makers in a second hand store or antique store for ~$5 it comes home with me.

With the blade kept sharp it is great as a letter opener.

The scissors are easy to use with the free lever against a table for cutting paper or articles from a newspaper or magazine. The tweezers have removed many a splinter.

It is also good for cutting string or twine in the shop.

Beware, most of the ones made in China are best left where they are found.

jtk

Derek Cohen
07-16-2020, 7:37 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/MK0Rw06S/81488D1F-AA13-4B75-A9D4-7A4366050964.png

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thomas Wilson
07-16-2020, 8:07 PM
Case Medium Stockman in amber bone. Uses: Sharpening pencils, opening packages, trimming anything that needs it.

Eric Rathhaus
07-16-2020, 8:13 PM
I always have an Opinel knife with me in the shop.

steven c newman
07-16-2020, 8:29 PM
When I was a kid, EVERYBODY carried a pocket knife....
What I carry around now a days....( "shop knife" is a Kobalt Folder)

mike stenson
07-16-2020, 8:33 PM
A kershaw scallion. If I'm going to carry a knife, it's going to be one hand opening. That's my pocket knife. If we're talking marking, or other use knives.. I have a ton.

Michael J Evans
07-16-2020, 9:03 PM
I always carry a pocket knife. Usually a Benchmade , ZT or USA made Kershaw. I generally dont use it as a marking knife. If you want to get a good value pocket knife get a USA made Kershaw. (I work a couple blocks from Kershaw factory so I might be slightly biased.) For my marking knife I use a Stanley folder Paul sellers recommended, Works excellent.

Michael J Evans
07-16-2020, 9:09 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/MK0Rw06S/81488D1F-AA13-4B75-A9D4-7A4366050964.png

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
Do they allow locking knives there? I thought I read somewhere Australia had strict policies

Bill Carey
07-16-2020, 10:29 PM
A Boker Kalishnakov, the smaller one. Always seems when I need to cut something I'm already holding it so 1 hand opening is a must. Great little knife that goes everywhere with me.

Derek Cohen
07-16-2020, 10:48 PM
Derek,
Do they allow locking knives there? I thought I read somewhere Australia had strict policies

Locking knives are permitted. Spring activated knives are not.

Here is a link to this knife. Luckily I purchased from this store when it was on a special some years ago!

https://i.postimg.cc/fTTjp2fq/snakewood-damascus-0003-snakewood-damascus53-1200x.png

https://www.japanesetools.com.au/products/traditional-japanese-folding-pocket-knife-damascus

https://i.postimg.cc/8cwdsMNb/snakewood-damascus-0001-snakewood-damascus51-1200x.png

It is Damascus steel, stainless steel core, and Snake Wood. Makes a great marking knife.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Wilkins
07-16-2020, 10:49 PM
I always have an Opinel knife with me in the shop.

that reminds me, I did carry my carbon steel #6 opined out there a while back. Need to find it lol.

mike stenson
07-16-2020, 10:58 PM
Locking knives are permitted. Spring activated knives are not.

Here is a link to this knife. Luckily I purchased from this store when it was on a special some years ago!
It is Damascus steel, stainless steel core, and Snake Wood. Makes a great marking knife.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a beautiful knife Derek.

Rob Luter
07-17-2020, 6:08 AM
My everyday carry for the last 25 years. In the shop I used a combination of marking knives and utility knives.

https://assets.victorinox.com/mediahub/32624/560Wx490H/SAK_0_6203__S1.jpg

Clifford McGuire
07-17-2020, 6:28 AM
I don't carry one. And I don't use one in the shop.

But my dad gave me my first pocket knife when I was 9 or 10. It's a Barlow and I keep it in my tool chest where I can see it.

Lee Schierer
07-17-2020, 8:05 AM
I carry a Buck Cadet 303 pocket knife. You never know when you need to cut something.436981

Derek Cohen
07-17-2020, 8:15 AM
I don't carry one. And I don't use one in the shop.

But my dad gave me my first pocket knife when I was 9 or 10. It's a Barlow and I keep it in my tool chest where I can see it.

Clifford, earlier I posted a absolutely wonderful Japanese folding knife. But I do not carry it around. I do not carry knives around. It would go with me to a wood show, otherwise is in my workshop for use when needed. It hangs on the wall behind my bench.

I have a couple of other folding/pocket knives which are for use, which I will mention here as they are terrific woodworking tools. These also hang on the wall for specific purposes.

The first is one most people know of, a Stanley .. made popular by Paul Sellers. It is a go-to knife ...

https://i.postimg.cc/9fRd6mJV/DSC_0502.jpg

The next one is extremely useful when you need a knife for scribing lines and riving small pieces for pegs. Mine is highly modified from the original, but it is not difficult to do .. just grinding and polishing. The original is the Lee Valley Woodworker's Knife (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/knives/58313-woodworkers-knife). The blade is very stout and its back is thick and may be hit with a mallet for riving. This is mine now ...

https://i.postimg.cc/zvZqh6v5/Knife-mod1-zpsus4tntbr.jpg

The knife I carry - in a briefcase - is a simple, two-bladed, Swiss Army knife. It was my father's.

https://i.postimg.cc/VL48QQ7C/SAN.jpg
Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Matthews
07-17-2020, 8:41 AM
Murphy "layout" shop knife with replaceable blade.

The broad brass "barrel" makes manipulating it easy when my creaky hands tire.

The blade is flat, so it hones reliably.

It stays in the shop.

https://i.imgur.com/NPXF0in.jpg

http://imgur.com/gallery/OBpDYGz

Jack Frederick
07-17-2020, 11:16 AM
I see a number of the small Swiss Army knives favored. In that category I would suggest the Rambler model. The bottle opener and small Phillips head has been invaluable to get those tiny screws off the battery covers on test instruments, grandkids toys, etc. I’ve carried one for years and have left many at airports around N America.

chris carter
07-17-2020, 11:30 AM
I have a decent collection of traditional (ie. slipjoint and friction folder) pocket knives and I always have one in my pocket. They all get carried and choice depends upon my mood and which pants I’m wearing, and if I’m doing yard work and whatnot.

I went through a phase where I TRIED to make a pocket knife my woodworking knife. They are lousy and inconvenient compared to the ever present marking knife that sits easily accessible on my bench at all times. I tried, I really did, but it was more annoyance than anything, so I gave up on the idea. The only time a pocket knife gets used in the woodshop is for opening a Lee Valley box (and even then I usually use the marking knife!).

I peruse traditional knife forums from time to time and the subject of pocket knives and woodworking crop up from time to time. Prior to the days of utility razor knives, the most common knives used by carpenters were stockman and congress patterns. The sheepsfoot blade being the obvious reason. A sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade can work perfectly adequately for marking lines as they have no belly. I have yet to need to do any carpentry work on my house so…..

Actually, I’m going to contradict myself slightly. I have a Schrade 44OT which is my primary whittling knife. The 44OT is basically a medium stockman with a fourth blade that is a tiny (1-1/4” ??) wharncliffe blade. I keep the wharni and the sheepsfoot at 9 or 10* per side and leave the clip and spey at the standard 25* per side as those two blades don’t really serve a purpose for whittling. Whittling isn’t exactly the same as woodworking, but…… When I turn on my pole lathe and cut off the end of my piece I DO actually use this pocket knife to trim the sawn end. So THAT would qualify as legitimate non-carpentry woodworking.

So that would be my woodworking pocketknife: Schrade 44OT. But it’s really a specialty tool that only comes out once in a while for a very specific task.

lowell holmes
07-17-2020, 11:38 AM
I carry a Buck Cadet pocket knife. You never know when you need to cut something.436981

I carry a Buck 373. When I was a boy, Buck knives were the ultimate. I ran across mine in in a store and it came home with me.

Thomas Wilson
07-17-2020, 12:24 PM

So that would be my woodworking pocketknife: Schrade 44OT. But it’s really a specialty tool that only comes out once in a while for a very specific task.

Love it. It is woodworking.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-17-2020, 12:27 PM
When I was a boy, Buck knives were the ultimate.

I also have a fondness for Buck knives. I have at least half dozen of them that are over 40 years old..... There are "better" knives now, but I still love them. Probably the rosewood handles.

Tony Zaffuto
07-17-2020, 12:30 PM
I have favorite patterns: Stockman, Barlow, to name two, in my extensive collection. I will be 68 in two months, and I've had a pocketknife with me going on six decades, until last year. Why? Several groups I'm involved with require going in places where knives are not permitted, and I had to break the habit.

(Favorite brands: Case, Boker, Tree, Queen, to name a few!)

David Bassett
07-17-2020, 1:10 PM
I see a number of the small Swiss Army knives favored. In that category I would suggest the Rambler model. The bottle opener and small Phillips head has been invaluable to get those tiny screws off the battery covers on test instruments, grandkids toys, etc. I’ve carried one for years and have left many at airports around N America.

+1. Harder to find, but so much more useful than the Classic without being much bigger. (3 places thick, instead of 2.)

(I've got to add, it was better back when it was the Rogue. I guess they wanted to improve it's image and renamed it Rambler for broader appeal. :) )

bill epstein
07-17-2020, 5:19 PM
I have the Opinel I bought 40 years ago when Garrett Wade was still a wood working tool catalog. That get's used for light prying and scraping.

For cutting veneer, wire stripping, and opening packages, the blue folding Kobalt razor knife has no equal. Especially for veneer.

My actual family heirloom pocket knife is maybe 80 years old, has carbon blades, and whatever marking that was on the shield totally worn off.

Axel de Pugey
07-17-2020, 5:44 PM
Since I was a Boy Scout, my favourite knife is an Opinel.
As I grew up I had several versions, from 6 to 10 I believe. They are dirt cheap, strong, versatile and you find them in every corner shop.

For the workshop I like a number 8, I use the point to mark things and carve and the edge to cut all sort of things.

In my region by the Alps some people shorten the blade drastically and use them for whittling.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-17-2020, 5:47 PM
I carry a Buck 373. When I was a boy, Buck knives were the ultimate. I ran across mine in in a store and it came home with me.

The 303 / 373 is a very nice size. The 303 is made in the USA and has a special heat treatment so the same steel from Buck made in the USA generally holds an edge better than the same steel from another company. They did not share that heat treatment for their Chinese facilities I am told.

The almost equivalent and a bit smaller is the Case small Stockman. I am partial to the 2333 pattern, which has a synthetic handle (black) and is a small stockman. 2 indicates the handle material and 333 is the patterns. 8327 is another small stockman from case; Mother of Pearl for the handle and the body is just slightly different. I don't care for the Case small stockman with stag handles, it is for some crazy reason very wide.

If you want something just a bit smaller and only two blades, get a Buck Lancer (305/375 for USA/China). The clip point blade is actually pretty long and can really get in there for marking, but I still prefer my marking knife so I can put one flat edge against the side of the wood more easily.

Josh Robinson
07-17-2020, 6:14 PM
Rarely use it as a marking knife but have always carried an old timer, uncle Henry, or currently this case, which my wife got me and I have come to like although I though it was too big and pretty when she first got it. Marking knife is a cheap kitchen paring knife that I’ve sharpened...

Mel Fulks
07-17-2020, 6:34 PM
RANGER. Bought it new for $7 years ago. Sadly, because I see they are now $28, I will have to be more careful with it.

Jeff Ranck
07-17-2020, 7:46 PM
I don't tend to use a woodworking pocket knife. For things that I'd use one for around the shop and general marking, I use a straight blade chip carving knife. For by edc knife, I like benchmade knives and carry the mini griptilian.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-17-2020, 9:47 PM
have always carried an old timer, uncle Henry

Both are Schrade cutlery. Schrade merged with Imperial Knife Company and they are now known as Imperial Schrade (or just Imperial). The Schrade name and intellectual property (but no equipment) was purchased by Taylor Brands and used for marketing purposes. And everything is made in China. I purchased a couple of small Stockton knives because I really liked my Schrade LB-5 and LB-7 which were even warranted against loss. Great knives. The knew knives I was not overly impressed with. I did purchase a Schrade Old Timer Woodworking Carving Knife to test it, and it is not nearly as sharp out of the box as the Flexcut Carvin' Jack. I own both because I intend to attempt to carve and all I have done is test the edges. The Flexcut is ready to go out of the box, the Schrade is not nearly as sharp. They do carry a "life of the owner" limited warranty. Buck and Case have a better warranty.

currently this case, which my wife got me and I have come to like although I though it was too big and pretty when she first got it.

My Dad had a Barlow, oddly, I do not. It is one of the oldest styles of knife (before 1800) and usually really durable. Case stopped making them and only recently brought them back. I don't remember if they intend to continue or if it is just for the year thing. Case does that. Yours looks nice.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-17-2020, 9:56 PM
RANGER. Bought it new for $7 years ago. Sadly, because I see they are now $28, I will have to be more careful with it.

Is their a Ranger knife company? Is it part of the Ontario Knife Company?

I know that Victorinox makes a Ranger, and the Buck Ranger is very popular (I even own one that has BOS heat treatment S35VN steel, a very very nice knife)

Mel Fulks
07-17-2020, 11:37 PM
Andrew, its Colonial Knife Company.

bill epstein
07-18-2020, 8:18 AM
BenchCrafted sells the best pocket knife I've found. https://www.benchcrafted.com/mercator-knife

ken

Normally I wouldn't consider a knife without a bone or wood handle but this one looks good and most important, has full carbon blades. How does it feel in the hand?

And when you use it do you find yourself humming, "When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way"? (From the Benchcrafted website, "The black version is identical to the famous K55 Black Cat version made popular by 50's Bronx street gangs, we opted for the non-Katze embossed version."

ken hatch
07-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Normally I wouldn't consider a knife without a bone or wood handle but this one looks good and most important, has full carbon blades. How does it feel in the hand?

And when you use it do you find yourself humming, "When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way"? (From the Benchcrafted website, "The black version is identical to the famous K55 Black Cat version made popular by 50's Bronx street gangs, we opted for the non-Katze embossed version."

Bill,

LOL

My hands are not big, I'm not big, but I do normally use "large" sized gloves. The knife is a perfect fit for my hands with a easy and good locking system. The blade and handle are well balanced. the steel is good and can be made very sharp. It is one of the nicest folding knifes I've found.

I don't want to over sell but they are a great knife for a really good price.

BTW, over the years I bought a lot of pocket knifes thanks to TSA, seems I never could remember to stick my knife into checked bags before going to the airport.

ken

Mike Null
07-18-2020, 10:55 AM
I've carried a pocket knife since I was a kid. My current pocket knife for more than 40 years is a Swiss Army knife. I use mine daily for a multitude of things. The scissors are especially handy.

Mark Godlesky
07-18-2020, 10:30 PM
Gerber 300. I always carry this one with me so it gets a lot of use in my shop. It's small, lightweight, and fits well in my pocket. I don't think they make this one any more but the Ultralight LST is the successor. Because they're small I've lost a couple (none to TSA, so far) but I have multiples. I'm kind of afraid they'll stop making them. Made in the USA too.

I don't feel quite right if I don't have my pocket knife with me.

Osvaldo Cristo
07-19-2020, 2:42 PM
I have a Japanese kiridashi I use as marking knife and general purpose one. Absolutely great.

I am considering to purchase a second one as a backup as I am an intensive user for mine.

Jeff Ranck
07-20-2020, 10:40 AM
I have a Japanese kiridashi I use as marking knife and general purpose one. Absolutely great.

I am considering to purchase a second one as a backup as I am an intensive user for mine.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't kiridashis sharpened only on one side so you need a pair?

Derek Cohen
07-20-2020, 10:55 AM
I don't tend to use a woodworking pocket knife. For things that I'd use one for around the shop and general marking, I use a straight blade chip carving knife. For by edc knife, I like benchmade knives and carry the mini griptilian.

Jeff, I would like to know how you carry this in your pocket? :eek:

Diito Osvaldo's Kiridashi!!

Seems to me to be waiting for the unkindest cut of all!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Cohen
07-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but aren't kiridashis sharpened only on one side so you need a pair?

The bevel face is very wide, and you can use the back and the face inter-changeably. I do.

https://i.postimg.cc/d07v4HSw/Kiridashi2_zpsva1v73vb.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff Ranck
07-20-2020, 6:46 PM
Jeff, I would like to know how you carry this in your pocket? :eek:

Diito Osvaldo's Kiridashi!!

Seems to me to be waiting for the unkindest cut of all!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yah, it sits in the toolbox until I need it. Only the mini griptilian goes in the pocket. :)

Jeff Ranck
07-20-2020, 6:48 PM
The bevel face is very wide, and you can use the back and the face inter-changeably. I do.

https://i.postimg.cc/d07v4HSw/Kiridashi2_zpsva1v73vb.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ah, now that makes sense!

Mel Fulks
07-20-2020, 7:03 PM
I knew it from Australia when I saw the ocean, surf ,and sand ,painted on it. Beautifully done!
I'm talk in' about Derek's knife.

Jim Koepke
07-20-2020, 7:21 PM
Here is an image of my most used knives:

The two on the left are the oldest. The shape of the end of the nail file gives this away. The one at the lower left is about 35 years old. This model is no longer available. It sits on my coffee table since often my robe is my attire while sitting there in the morning. The one on the top left is my most recent find at ~$5 and is kept as a spare. The top right is of the most recent manufacture. The clue to that is the scissors uses a rivet instead of a screw. It sits by my computer. Out of habit it sometimes gets put in my pocket with the other knife there. The one on the lower right has been in my pocket for about 20 years. It was purchased when the oldest one was misplaced and thought lost. The two oldest ones have both lost their insignias years ago.

The one on the far left is a Boker and is carried often when heavier work is to be done. One time it really impressed a friend by how well it could cut rope with a single swipe. It is the only knife that has cut me in a long time. It was handled a little carelessly after sharping a few years ago. It was the first time it had been sharpened well in years.

A few of the Swiss Army knives have been purchased and given to my grandchildren.

jtk

Andrew Hughes
07-20-2020, 8:24 PM
My favorite knife but not my shop knife. Low angle bench plane in in box wood.

mike stenson
07-23-2020, 8:09 PM

ken

I picked one of these up for tickles and grins. Despite not being a single hand opening knife (which is really my preference), it's a really nice knife for the money. If I were still working carpentry, it'd live in my workbags.

The Kershaw is a lot more convenient to carry, as it's smaller, and it's spring assisted (I need to clean the tape off of it and sharpen it though)

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8Ggz8bH/0/7f92652d/L/i-8Ggz8bH-L.jpg

ken hatch
07-23-2020, 8:52 PM
I picked one of these up for tickles and grins. Despite not being a single hand opening knife (which is really my preference), it's a really nice knife for the money. If I were still working carpentry, it'd live in my workbags.

The Kershaw is a lot more convenient to carry, as it's smaller, and it's spring assisted (I need to clean the tape off of it and sharpen it though)

Mike,

Glad you like it.

BTW, did you get rain today?

ken

mike stenson
07-23-2020, 8:58 PM
Mike,

Glad you like it.

BTW, did you get rain today?

ken

Ken,

We sure did, we're either in the lee or we get hit relatively hard. How about you guys? (and yes, this is a major topic of conversation, not just pleasantries for those not in the desert)

It's a good thing I fixed the crack in the stucco last weekend, as it was on the window sill.. and water would roll through and over the adobes.. and created a leak, just to the right of a receptacle. With that said, I'm happy we're back into monsoon finally. Especially after the fire, that was a pretty miserable month here.

ken hatch
07-23-2020, 9:17 PM
Ken,

We sure did, we're either in the lee or we get hit relatively hard. How about you guys? (and yes, this is a major topic of conversation, not just pleasantries for those not in the desert)

It's a good thing I fixed the crack in the stucco last weekend, as it was on the window sill.. and water would roll through and over the adobes.. and created a leak, just to the right of a receptacle. With that said, I'm happy we're back into monsoon finally. Especially after the fire, that was a pretty miserable month here.

Mike,

Yeah, we did, hard but soaking and was just in time. All my big Agave's were in trouble. I was gone to Oregon through the time of the fire, glad I missed it

ken