PDA

View Full Version : Robust Liberty Lathe not working.

Joe Bradshaw
07-15-2020, 8:07 PM
I need some help. My girlfriends Robust Liberty has stopped working. It did this one time before, and I was able to blow out everything and it worked again. Tuesday, the lathe stopped working again. I was able to get it running again, but, it has stopped again. I plan on working on. it again tomorrow. I don't want to remove the headstock, but, I may have to.Help.
Joe

Jake Hillestad
07-15-2020, 8:44 PM
This seems like something to take up with Brent English at Robust. He'd be about the best resource and you paid Robust prices, part of that is for support after the fact. JMO

Jeffrey J Smith
07-15-2020, 9:35 PM
and Brent is great at support. I think he enjoys a call now and then.

Jim Barkelew
07-15-2020, 10:50 PM
Sounds like it could be an overheating problem with the VFD. I'm not familiar with the Liberty , but on my Sweet 16 there is a panel that can be removed to see if there is any error code displayed. The Robust VFD is a good one and I have never had a problem with mine. The retro-fit VFD on my other lathe did trip out a few times (before AC in the shop) when it got over 100.

As said above, contact Brent.

Jim

Don Frank
07-16-2020, 8:30 AM
Unplug the machine and blow out the dust in the remote on off switch box particularly the red button.

Jason Edwards
07-16-2020, 8:38 AM
Can't imagine taking the time to remove the headstock when I don't know even know what's wrong. Strongly suggest you call Robust and do some diagnosis with them first. Their phone number is at the top of their website pages. I have a Sweet 16 and the one time I had a minor issue they walked me through the corrective action in short order. Good luck with it.

Joe Bradshaw
07-16-2020, 4:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I took the control box apart and blew it out, plus the switches. Very little dust inside. I worked the spindle lock lever a few times and unlocked the headstock several times. I really tightened the headstock locking lever and it runs like new. The Liberty is very sensitive when locking the headstock, if not tightened enough, the lathe will not start up. You guys made me look like a hero to my girlfriend. Thanks.
Joe

Reed Gray
07-17-2020, 5:14 PM
I discovered that with my Beauty. The locking feature on the headstock spindle is wired in so you can't start the lathe with the spindle locked. Didn't think of that one for you. It does have to be pushed ALL the way down...

robo hippy

Dave Fritz
07-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Thanks for asking, I have a Liberty and I'm sure to run into the same problem.