PDA

View Full Version : Shop Talk w/Pics

Bob Yarbrough
12-29-2005, 5:19 PM
Photo tour (I hope) of the shop, misc tools, and misc projects.

Just got into woodworking Nov. 04 when I took a class and made a coat rack (since given to niece). Attended a 2nd class and made a tool chest. the wife WILL NOT ALOW any tools in the chest, much less take it to the shop.

Have made a corner shelf unit for the living room, a hope chest for my daughter, a bookcase for my step-daughter, a bench for my SCMS, a rough bench for my tool box, a temp outfeed table for the table saw, turned 60 pens/pencils for & 5 kaldiscopes for X-Mas this year.

Just finished putting together MY X-Mas present from me today, a new router top with an INCRA LS fence system.

Have aqquired several misc tools over the past year, Bosch sander & Jigsaw, Porter Cable Magsaw & dual base router, Kreg pocket joint kit, Rikon mini(midi?) lathe and 10 inch drill press, Delta grinder and contractor saw, DeWalt SCMS, a couple Lee Valley planes and scrapers, and THERE IS NO END IN SIGHT!!!!!

I will post 2 follow up messages with the additional pics. I think I am hooked. This is a good thing.

Bob Yarbrough
12-29-2005, 5:21 PM
Additional pics.

Bob Yarbrough
12-29-2005, 5:22 PM
And more pics

Frank Pellow
12-29-2005, 5:26 PM
Nice work Bob!

Yes woodworking is a good thing, and you seem to be particularly good at this good thing. :)

Bob Noles
12-29-2005, 5:34 PM
From one Bob to another....

I am impressed and appreciate the shop tour. You have a really cool set up and the projects you have turned out are excellent. I started my WW interest about the same time as you, but you have exceeded me by a mile. I got all caught up in shop building, tool collecting and a few other distractions along the way, but I am very close to turning out some projects other than shop needs very soon.

Thanks for sharing your pictorial with us.

tod evans
12-29-2005, 5:36 PM
thanks for the tour bob! you build nice stuff.

Lloyd Frisbee
12-29-2005, 5:45 PM
Bob, what are those ghostly apparitions that appear in your photos especially near the table saw? Do you have a shop ghost that likes the saw or is it really smoky in there? :p

Jay Knoll
12-29-2005, 6:12 PM
Bob, wow you are off to a roaring start. Your pieces look great, the
"workshop ghost" must be giving you lots of inspiration and energy.

I can understand why you wife doesn't want any tools in the "tool chest"

Thanks for posting

Jay

John Bailey
12-29-2005, 7:35 PM
Good looking work Bob. I'll be looking forward to your next posts.

John

Anthony Anderson
12-29-2005, 7:59 PM
WOW Bob, You are off to an amazing start. I had to sacrifice a bunch of wood to the woodworking gods and I still don't think that I do work that good! As Frank said, you appear to be very good at this good thing. It is addictive, but a very practical addiction. It is an addiction that gives back. And the great thing is you are not limited to what is sold at the furniture stores. You can create whatever you dream. Keep it up. Looking forward to the other posts. Later, Bill

John Bailey
12-29-2005, 8:00 PM
Looks like a pretty nice set-up Bob - too clean, but a nice set-up.

John

Tyler Howell
12-29-2005, 9:47 PM
Nice looking Bob,
Lot's of space to fill with toyls
We'll have to hook up and talk wood chips some time;)

Robert McGowen
12-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Please, please tell me that you are retired and didn't do all this in your spare time! I'm getting jealous...........

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Great work Bob. Nice projects.

Bob Yarbrough
12-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Work 50+ hours a week as a Professional Land Surveyor for a small engineering/surveying firm. In a good week I will spend 14-16 hours in the shop, if it's warm enough. Built a lot of stuff when it was 20 in the shop.

Bob Yarbrough
12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
I think the ghost is it was 15 degrees in the shop and I'm full of hot air breathing on the camera!

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Very nice work Bob.....Pat yourself on the back for those nice projects you have completed. You're doing just great!!

Toddy Woddy
12-30-2005, 5:52 AM
Way to go Bob. Your work looks great. Keep enjoying it.
I tell y wife, "some men go to the tavern and chase women. I go to the shop and chase sawdust."
Toddy Woddy

John Buzzurro
12-30-2005, 8:08 AM
Bob,

That is really impressive work. I started this hobby about 9 months ago, and am nowhere near your skill level. Keep up the good work!

Jeremy Gibson
12-30-2005, 9:25 AM
Bob,

Great pics! I love to see shop tours. Is that the new Rikon midi lathe? If so, how do you like it? I have had the jet mini on my Amazon list waiting for more cash and then saw a good review of this new Rikon. At just about the same price or even a little less it has a longer bed. What's your impression?

Anthony Anderson
12-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Nice space Bob. Is it a dedicated space or shared with the cars? What are the dimensions? Congratulations on your new hobby. Bill

Bob Yarbrough
12-30-2005, 11:41 AM
The space is the back half of a garage that is 24 wide by 54 deep. I put up a dividing wall between the front and back half, cars up front, fun & games in the back.