PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Sharpening Router Bits?

Dennis McDonaugh
07-14-2020, 12:00 AM
Is it really a viable option, especially for bits with a specific diameter such as 3/4 or 1/2 inch? How can they be sharpened without affecting their diameter?

Robert Engel
07-14-2020, 9:32 AM
I send them to a sharpening service. I’ve never had much luck other than maybe flush trim bits.

Profile bits are particularly difficult. Specific diameter straight bits can be affected if you remove enough material.

roger wiegand
07-14-2020, 9:38 AM
Diamond paddle on the flat side. Takes a long time to measurably reduce the diameter.

Tom M King
07-14-2020, 11:29 AM
I've had plenty of straight bits sharpened. They do lose a little diameter.

glenn bradley
07-14-2020, 12:11 PM
I have a collection of 'undersize' straight bits that have been sharpened and still find good use. Certainly any profile will return altered if only slightly so identical re-use will not be an option. At $5 to $15 for a new bit versus $20 to $100 for a new one? I send mine in by the flat-rate box full to maximize the benefit. Most of mine are Whiteside and their prices for their own bits are very reasonable. Everything else goes to Snook's Saw in Oregon. Great service from great folks.

Mel Fulks
07-14-2020, 2:01 PM
It's good to have some single flute bits ,they are much faster cutters. I've worked in commercial shops that had never tried them.

mike stenson
07-14-2020, 3:17 PM
The wonderful thing about using relative sizes is.. that router bit is just sharp.. not undersized.

Dennis McDonaugh
07-16-2020, 8:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll give it a try with some of my 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 bit. Most of the time I'm planing stock to fit so a few thousandths won't make a difference. I bought a new 3/4 bit the other day and it was $23. Getting more use out of one for $6 sounds good.

glenn bradley
07-16-2020, 8:43 PM
I failed to mention that I touch mine up with small diamond paddles many times before they finally go to be sharpened. You have to touch up when performance falloff first get noticeable. If you wait for full-on dull, it's off to the pros.

Equal strokes on each face.