PDA

View Full Version : Work bench finish

Shawn Siegrist
07-13-2020, 11:02 PM
I’m building work benches along the back wall of my shop. I plan on using BLO as a finish, should I top coat them with wax as well?

Frank Pratt
07-13-2020, 11:24 PM
Depends on what the benches will be used for. A woodworking bench shouldn't be slick because you want stock to stay put when working it.

Andrew Seemann
07-14-2020, 12:23 AM
Most benches that get used get beat to h#ll pretty quick. I wouldn't bother keeping it too pretty. Lineseed oil is probably fine. I'm not a fan of it because it stinks and takes a long time to dry, but others like it. A light coat of shellac would probably work as well, as would whatever leftover finish you want to get rid of. I still haven't gotten around to putting finish on my Scandi bench. I really need to do that one of these years.

Jim Becker
07-14-2020, 9:45 AM
In the shop, I only use the BLO for surfaces like this as it's easily renewable. The wax doesn't add much benefit and makes recoating more difficult.

Jamie Buxton
07-14-2020, 9:55 AM
I use varnish on mine. The varnish film rejects glue a little better than BLO. It does get beat up -- the thing is a work bench -- so it gets another coat every few years.

ChrisA Edwards
07-14-2020, 10:29 AM
So is Poly not recommended? I've been using water based General Finishes poly.

About once a year, I sand it and give it a fresh coat.

mike stenson
07-14-2020, 10:43 AM
I just do a BLO/turpentine mix. It soaks in/dries faster.. I'm lazy, and impatient. The bench top's been finished this way for over a decade.. I should probably plane it down and refinish it someday.

Frank Pratt
07-14-2020, 11:08 AM
My woodworking bench got sanded to 80 grit & then 1 coat of Danish oil, or maybe Tung oil, whatever it was that I had on hand. That leaves a nice grippy surface & glue come off easily. That was a couple of years ago & it's due for another refresh, which will take all of about 1/2 hour.

Shawn Siegrist
07-14-2020, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone, I’ll skip the wax.

David Sochar
07-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Blood, sweat, and tears. In that order.

My bench has been in daily use since 1980, and has produced over $10M in work over the years. It is by far the most valued tool in the shop.

I give it loving care in between beatings: At the end of a day, usually every 2 weeks or so. First, a good clean scrape with the Red Devil scraper to remove the high spots - glue, mostly. Next a coat of Danish oil, let it soak in for 1/2hour or so, then wipe it off. The next morning a coat of Johnson Paste wax, liberally applied. Then a clean cotton rag and the Festool with no paper for a buffing.

A bench should show both the wear and the respect.

Jim Becker
07-14-2020, 2:11 PM
So is Poly not recommended? I've been using water based General Finishes poly.

About once a year, I sand it and give it a fresh coat.

You can use whatever you want on a bench surface...oil, oil/wax, leftover varnish, waterborne whatever...it doesn't really matter. "Nothing" is a valid surface treatment, too!

John K Jordan
07-14-2020, 2:26 PM
You can use whatever you want on a bench surface...oil, oil/wax, leftover varnish, waterborne whatever...it doesn't really matter. "Nothing" is a valid surface treatment, too!

I finished my laminated maple workbench with Tennessee air.

JKJ

Jim Becker
07-14-2020, 5:03 PM
I finished my laminated maple workbench with Tennessee air.

JKJ
So your bench has a Tennessee accent? :) :D

Andrew Seemann
07-14-2020, 6:24 PM
A bench should show both the wear and the respect.

You got to wonder about those people who have perfect looking benches. No street cred:)

Some of the pictures of Klausz and Frid (and probably most other instructors) show a bench that is nice and pretty and pristine, especially those "build a bench articles", but if you look at the benches they actually use in their "how to" videos/articles, they look as beat up, chiseled into, and glue & finish slopped as my bench.

Actually raw wood isn't a bad finish for a work bench. It is what I have had on my current bench since I made it.

The assembly bench has a Formica top. I clean that with a beater scraper and a specific beater chisel.

mike stenson
07-14-2020, 6:25 PM
Yea, the finish I put on my shop furniture is the same (same 50/50 mix too) as on my hammer handles. It's really just serviceable, nothing more.

John K Jordan
07-14-2020, 9:29 PM
So your bench has a Tennessee accent? :) :D

Well I was raised a Pensylvania yankee and tried to train it properly but there's was no hope - even the maple had south'rn roots.

Alan Lightstone
07-15-2020, 11:00 AM
I'd say that mine is finished with West Virginia air, but I'd be lying through my tooth. :D

Roger Feeley
07-20-2020, 3:03 PM
I like to be able to get the glue spills off easily. I use Vermont Natural Coatings PolyWhey varnish. The stuff dries hard a a rock and not much sticks to it.

Clifford McGuire
07-26-2020, 6:33 PM
I refinish my bench every eight years or so. In the past I've used GF's Arm-R-Seal. This time I used GF's water based Enduro-Var. It's a maple top and I wanted to keep the color as natural as possible. Since it's a satin finish, it doesn't seem slippery.

I know it's a workbench, but I look at it most days and it takes a beating. I like to give it some protection.