PDA

View Full Version : Which plane do I need?

Dave Carson
12-29-2005, 4:04 PM
I am mostly a power tool user however, my favorite tool is my LN low angle adj. mouth block plane. My second is my LN dovetail saw.

I want a plane to smooth figured wood such as curly maple and to smooth down the joint where to boards meet after a panel glue-up. What LN do I need?

I want to head off to Woodcraft for my 25% discount.

Thanks
Dave

Tom Saurer
12-29-2005, 4:19 PM
Anything with a high angled frog, which is also called York Pitch. I think a #4 would do well.

Tyler Howell
12-29-2005, 4:54 PM
What Tom said. Mine is the brass with cherry tote Way cool!:cool:

James Owen
12-31-2005, 6:35 PM
You might want to take a look at the #4 1/2 or the #5 1/2, with the high angle frog as an additional purchase. That will give you the option of using a York pitch plane or not, as the wood requires, and will effectively give you two planes for not much more than the price of one. (And, the high angle frog for the #4 1/2 will also fit on the LN #5 1/2, #6, and #7 planes, if/when you acquire them.)

Both of these sizes are my favorites for smoothing almost everything; they are a little bit wider and heavier than their non-fractional counterparts. The 4 1/2 is a superb smoother; the 5 1/2 is just as good and can be used as a panel plane; the extra weight literally plows through just about anything -- perfect for cleaning up those glue joints on longer panels.