PDA

View Full Version : Coffin smoother collectable?

Michael J Evans
07-13-2020, 1:27 AM
I picked up this little beauty today for $20. It isn't functional as both cheeks are cracked. But I thought it was really interesting and would like nice in the shop. Can anyone tell me anything about this type of coffin smoother? I tried googling metal coffin smoother, infill coffin smoother, etc, etc and haven't been able to find anything exactly like it. I believe it is made of rosewood possibly?

Anything info anyone has on this would be great, name of it, value, etc.
Thank you

Mike Henderson
07-13-2020, 10:26 AM
I have a couple like that. I haven't shopped for them in a while but a few years ago they were readily available and not too expensive. The one you have has a good iron. If you can't use the body you can make a Krenov plane and use that iron for it.

Mike

David Bassett
07-13-2020, 12:48 PM
I'll admit my first thought was, "it can't be that old, Robert Sorby is a current company". It seems a second thought was appropriate. Robert Sorby started operating in 1828. This may be interesting:

Robert Sorby History (https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/robert_sorby_history_of_booklet.pdf)

though it doesn't really answer your question.

Rick Whitehead
07-13-2020, 3:46 PM
It looks to me like a user-made plane, with a user-made repair.Are there any markings on the front? I can't tell from the photos whether it's rosewood. How heavy is it? If it's significantly heavier than a similar-sized beech plane, then it may be rosewood.

Michael J Evans
07-13-2020, 3:59 PM
It looks to me like a user-made plane, with a user-made repair.Are there any markings on the front? I can't tell from the photos whether it's rosewood. How heavy is it? If it's significantly heavier than a similar-sized beech plane, then it may be rosewood.

Thanks Rick,
Unless that user was a blacksmith or machinist I doubt it was user made, but then again my guess is as good as yours. The bottom half is is all steel / iron. It is approx 2" high all the way around. When you remove the wedge you can see that the bottom steel sole thickness is approx 3/8" or so just guessing. So yes is i significantly heavier than a beech plane.

I couldn't find a single marking on it.

Mike Allen1010
07-14-2020, 7:59 PM
Like David said, Robert Sorby is a classic English toolmaker with a reputation for quality blades. As to whether the combination wooden body with steel infill base is original or shop made I couldn't say. Based on the pictures you posted, and particularly the wedge, I'd say a knowledgeable plane maker built it. I would be curious to know how wide the mouth is? Either way, I'd say it's an excellent candidate for restoration. I know there's lots of opinions regarding infill planes, IMHO is definitely worth the effort to try and make it work.

If you decide to give it a shot, I'd love to see pictures of your progress.

Best, Mike

Michael J Evans
07-14-2020, 11:03 PM
I'll admit my first thought was, "it can't be that old, Robert Sorby is a current company". It seems a second thought was appropriate. Robert Sorby started operating in 1828. This may be interesting:

Robert Sorby History (https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/robert_sorby_history_of_booklet.pdf)

though it doesn't really answer your question.

Thanks David.