PDA

View Full Version : New Shop

John Branam
12-29-2005, 3:58 PM
My wife closed on our new house this morning, nice rach style house that has a shop set up in the basement already. I am moving from my 150 sqft basement shop to the new 800 sqft shop. We do not get to move for another 30 days but I can not wait to start getting everything set up and making some saw dust again.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2005, 4:04 PM
John Congratulations! That' a nice sized shop and I'm sure you'll enjoy having that much more space!

Jim Dunn
12-29-2005, 4:05 PM
Did you get permission to do wwing before hanging curtains??? Better take care of those honey doooos' first:) Congrats on the new house

Jim

John Branam
12-29-2005, 4:12 PM
I took 2 days off work the week after we move in to work on setting up the shop.

Bruce Page
12-29-2005, 5:17 PM
Congrats John, I can't wait to see the pic's. I'd love to have 800 sqft!

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 5:34 PM
Congratulations, John. Stepping up in space is going to be wonderful for you!

lou sansone
12-29-2005, 6:49 PM
congratulations on the new space for your shop. how is the access to the basement ? walk out type or bulkhead door ?

lou

Kent Cori
12-29-2005, 7:15 PM
With an 800 sf shop, who needs a house anyway? :D

Excuse me while I drool all over my keyboard.

Congratulations John!

John Bailey
12-29-2005, 7:27 PM
Good deal, and of course we'll see pictures - right!!

John

Jim O'Dell
12-29-2005, 7:29 PM
That's great, John. If you've got a program to do layouts, start working on them now. If not, go get a tablet of graph paper and draw out the shape of the shop. Use construction paper to cut out the tools, close to scale if possible, and start playing with locations. I went through probably 50 possibilities after we moved in to our new to us house a year and a half ago. It was 6 months before I actually started on the shop, and it has changed several times since then, and I've only got half the space you do!!
Good luck and enjoy. These are the exciting times! Jim.

Frank Pellow
12-29-2005, 7:35 PM
Now that's what I call progress -from 150 squae feet to 800 square feet. Do you anticipate having any problems filling all that space?

Sparky Paessler
12-29-2005, 7:52 PM
Sounds great! I only have about 600sf. another 200 would be wonderful. I know you will love it.

Corey Hallagan
12-29-2005, 7:59 PM
Wow, congrats! That will be a great shop!

Corey

Frank Hagan
12-29-2005, 9:02 PM
Congratulations ... I would get lost in a shop that size! I think you have to go out and buy more tools now!

Jim DeLaney
12-29-2005, 9:42 PM
I took 2 days off work the week after we move in to work on setting up the shop.

Two Days? <B>TWO DAYS!?</B>

I've lived in this new house for almost sixteen months now, and still haven't got my shop totally set up. I've changed layouts at least four times - the most recent one just last week - and will probably make a few more changes before I'm satisfied.

Also, I still don't know exactly where everything is yet. It's all here - somewhere - but I still have to spend some time looking for things occasionally. I'd been in my old shop for about ten years, and had everything pretty much memorized...

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Congrats John. Nice step up in shop size.

John Branam
12-30-2005, 8:24 AM
That's great, John. If you've got a program to do layouts, start working on them now. If not, go get a tablet of graph paper and draw out the shape of the shop. Use construction paper to cut out the tools, close to scale if possible, and start playing with locations. I went through probably 50 possibilities after we moved in to our new to us house a year and a half ago. It was 6 months before I actually started on the shop, and it has changed several times since then, and I've only got half the space you do!!
Good luck and enjoy. These are the exciting times! Jim.

I saw in a recent issue of American Woodworker that Bob Vila's web site has a downloadable program for shop layout, I believe it is a 3-d layout. I am going to start working on the layout over the next few weeks. Someone else asked about access to the basement right off the shop space is a 3foot wide door and stairs leading to the backyard, so the gargage will be used to assemble and finish any real large projects.