PDA

View Full Version : Delta DC-380 Planer Part

Vince Shriver
07-09-2020, 6:00 PM
My Delta DC-380 Planer has been leaking oil profusely. I found the problem is an o-ring on the shaft of the feed rate shifter that needs to be replaced. Problem: the part has been discontinued, I've tried McMaster Carr with no luck, and I don't know where else to go. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance, Vince

Richard Verwoest
07-09-2020, 6:02 PM
Trial and error?

John Lanciani
07-09-2020, 7:15 PM
O-rings are basically generic, try an auto parts or farm & fleet type store.

Tom Bussey
07-09-2020, 8:11 PM
Ace Hardware or True Value Hardware

Bruce Wrenn
07-09-2020, 9:25 PM
McMaster will have it, but you need to know what size it is, or the actual number of the O ring. Probably an O ring from a Grizzly, Jet, PM or other planner will work. With a pair of HF calipers, you can measure opening and shaft size.

Bill Dufour
07-09-2020, 10:27 PM
Measure the diameter of the cord then the inner and outer diameter. It could be metric or English units, where was it made? Are you sure it is just a o-ring and not a seal or a square ring seal.
Bil lD

Mike Kees
07-09-2020, 11:34 PM
Not sure what size it is but I replaced mine with an O ring from my O ring kit so it is a common size.I sold my 380 about a year ago.

Bill Dufour
07-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Harbor freight sells an O-ring assortment in a plastic divider case for under $10. If it fits that is probbably cheaper then ordering one. That is how I bough the metric woodruff key I needed for my lathe.
Bill D

Mike Kees
07-10-2020, 5:48 PM
Vince while you have that thing apart make a new gasket for the chain case cover and install it when you put everything back together.

Bruce Wrenn
07-10-2020, 9:37 PM
Vince while you have that thing apart make a new gasket for the chain case cover and install it when you put everything back together.

Would black RTV work instead of a gasket? Honda's small engines are put together with RTV, no gasket except carburetor and exhaust.

Vince Shriver
07-10-2020, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Mike & Bruce. I changed the original gasket to a cork gasket, and it continued to leak. We then reused the original gasket (a neoprene type material) with a thin coat of Permatex which sealed it up, but then we found a new leak coming from the feed shift knob. The only oil seal we found there was a small o-ring buried deep on the feed shaft. Bruce the old gasket seems to be fine, so no issue there - right now it's finding the right o-ring behind the shift knob.

Mike Kees
07-11-2020, 12:55 AM
My factory gasket was a piece of plastic that missed one top corner completely,leaked for years and when I finally pulled it apart I figured out why.

Bruce Wrenn
07-11-2020, 8:02 PM
Because the 380 was made in either Brazil.or Tiawan, the O rig will probably be a metric size. Tonight, I bought the 225 piece (SAE) assortment from HF for $5.99, less 20%. Odds are one of these will fit your 380. Look at similar planer from Grizzly and see what they show for O ring.