PDA

View Full Version : Anti fog spray for glasses with mask

Bill Dufour
07-09-2020, 4:28 PM
With having to wear a mask almost all the time outside I would like to find a better antifog spray for my eyeglasses. I used to get it at walgrens or CVS. They dropped the antifog part and raised the price several years ago. I would like to buy a decent size bottle not the 2 mil ones I see online. Can I just put a few drops of ca windshield rain-X in my existing spray? I think the antifog stuff is basically silicone oil in water.
Bill D.

Don Peters
07-09-2020, 6:52 PM
Rain X works great on glass and goggles. Use it straight out of the bottle.

John K Jordan
07-09-2020, 6:57 PM
Rain X works great on glass and goggles. Use it straight out of the bottle.

Scuba diving stores used to carry an antifogging solution. I've seen wipes too.

Lee Schierer
07-09-2020, 7:18 PM
Scuba diving stores used to carry an antifogging solution. I've seen wipes too.

Scuba diving anti fog is a mixture of baby shampoo and water. Also Original Rain X for glass has a warning about use on plastics. They now make a plastic Rain X.

Bruce Page
07-09-2020, 8:07 PM
Soap & water works for me. Depending where your focal length is set, sliding them down your nose a little also works.

Wayne Cannon
07-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Ditto on the baby shampoo + water mix. I used it SCUBA diving, but it also works well under safety glasses and ski goggles.

Increased ventilation in the safety glasses also helps a lot.

Best answer ($$) is a Positive Air Pressure Respirator (PAPR) that blows a steady stream of clean air across your face and glasses behind the face shield.

Brian W Evans
07-10-2020, 11:08 AM
As mentioned above, plastic lenses would be a concern. I know that my glasses also have a coating that reduces glare, which I would also worry about putting windshield cleaner on.

Bill Dufour
07-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Many of the sprays say not for AR glass. That means anti reflective glass. Which all of mine are. Thanks for the help.
I do have a powered shop visor but I do not think I can really wear that as a teacher in front of the class.
Bill D.

Brian W Evans
07-10-2020, 1:22 PM
Many of the sprays say not for AR glass. That means anti reflective glass. Which all of mine are. Thanks for the help.
I do have a powered shop visor but I do not think I can really wear that as a teacher in front of the class.
Bill D.

Bill,

I'm a teacher too, and having the same problem. The masks / respirators that have the outlet valve work great, but they don't help protect anyone but you. My school is considering letting teachers wear face shields but I'm not sure that's going to help much.

Bill Dufour
07-10-2020, 3:32 PM
Bill,

I'm a teacher too, and having the same problem. The masks / respirators that have the outlet valve work great, but they don't help protect anyone but you. My school is considering letting teachers wear face shields but I'm not sure that's going to help much.

I agree that a face shield is better but our governor has required cloth face masks in public. Of course he does not wear one while he speaks in a room full of reporters so maybe the mask is not needed if I stay 6 feet away from students.
Bill D