PDA

View Full Version : Running Glued up Boards in a Planer for CNC

Bill George
07-09-2020, 12:56 PM
I have got a bunch of aged boards that are nail free and look super when ran through my new DeWalt planer.

I want to glue them up and run again so I can make signs and designs on my CNC. Titebond glue, will that screw up my brand new planer blades?

Grant Wilkinson
07-09-2020, 1:01 PM
We run glue ups through the planer every day. The hardened glue is harder on blades than the wood, but it does not "ruin" them. Scrape off all the excess, top and bottom, before you plane them.

Jim Becker
07-09-2020, 1:12 PM
Scrape off the excess, preferably while it's still pliable, and you'll have zero issues with your planer knives. As Grant mentions, the dried glue is generally harder than the wood, but it still machines fine.

Mel Fulks
07-09-2020, 2:10 PM
Agree with all that it is OK. it's best to do it on fastest feed speed ( counterintuitive but true). And don't use multiple
light passes ,that causes MORE knife damage. Take heavy cut.

Andy D Jones
07-09-2020, 2:57 PM
If you have room (extra planer width), it may help (or provide extra insurance against problems) to run the glue-up at a slight angle, so the glue lines are not hitting the same exact point on the knives over and over.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

glenn bradley
07-09-2020, 3:04 PM
The thin glue lines have never been a problem for me. I scrape any squeeze out prior to running them.

Bill George
07-09-2020, 3:10 PM
Thanks guys, I will scrape off by hand with a sharp chisel , any blobs before I run.

Scott Bernstein
07-10-2020, 7:15 AM
I scrape off big chunks of dried squeeze-out but I don't clean it completely. Haven't noted any issues with carbide blades.