PDA

View Full Version : Another fine mess....(kinda long)

Tom Pritchard
12-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Well, I learned something the hard way, and thought that I would share it with SMC folks because it's 1)funny and 2)may save you from a similar mistake!

I was recently building a 35" x 21" wooden cover for the bottom grate of my Dad's gas fireplace insert. When the fire in the insert is off, cold air pours in through the grate into the room at a rate great enough to blow out a match :( ! I made the box out of luan with a 1" x 1" pine frame, and then used that "stick on magnetic tape" on the pine frame so it would stick to the metal insert.

Well, the last step of the process was to glue a piece of pine on the top of the box to go up snug against the glass on the insert, and I needed to trim about 1/8" off one side of the box for a proper glue joint. Here's where the "fun" started! I set the fence on my TS to take off the 1/8", started the saw, and placed the box on the saw to make the cut. The box wouldn't budge! I couldn't move it! What's wrong, is my fence gouged? Is there a problem with my zero clearance insert? Is the tabletop scratched? NO! I had put the side of the box with the magnetic strips DOWN and the box was stuck to the tablesaw top! :eek: Whew, all is ok. I flipped the box over and made my cut thinking I was pretty smart, but when I turned off the saw, there was another problem! That little 1/8" cut included the magnetic strip, and my saw was COVERED with magnetic sawdust!! :D I couldn't wipe it off, vacuum it off, or get it off with WD-40! It took me almost an hour with a lite rag and elbow grease to get all those little pieces off my saw!!:rolleyes: Someday I'll get brave and look in the saw base, I'm sure those little buggers are in there too!!

My friend Scott and I had a pretty good laugh over the experience, so I thought I would share it with all my SMC pals as well!

Happy New Year everyone!!

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Look at this as an opportunty to lobby for a new table saw since that one is now excessively "dirty"... LOL!! :D :D :D

Seriously, that's something that could happen to anyone of us when "trimming" something already prepped for installation with hardware. But slicing a soft magnetic strip is better than ripping a steel screw down the middle...something I have personally done. That was one expensive screw...it cost me a new saw blade.

Tom Pritchard
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Look at this as an opportunty to lobby for a new table saw since that one is now excessively "dirty"... LOL!! :D :D :D

Seriously, that's something that could happen to anyone of us when "trimming" something already prepped for installation with hardware. But slicing a soft magnetic strip is better than ripping a steel screw down the middle...something I have personally done. That was one expensive screw...it cost me a new saw blade.

Hi Jim! Yes, you are correct. The fact that this mistake didn't cause any damage is what made it laughable! I once ripped a stainless 2" #10 woodscrew right down the middle!! I bet the folks at Forrest are still laughing over that one....:D

Dave Richards
12-29-2005, 2:25 PM
It seems to me that one way to demagnetize something like a screwdriver is to drop it on the floor. Maybe you could do that with your tablesaw blade. :D

Kidding.

Glad it is a laughable moment. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. I know it would have to me.

Frank Chaffee
12-29-2005, 2:30 PM
Tom,
That one is good! Truly a Great Moment in Woodshop History.

Glad to hear that it only cost you a bit of time to recover from.

Reminds me of when I decided to change the material of a part so it wouldn’t rust. We had been using steel dowel pins that we surface ground on one side. To get an acceptable price I had to purchase maybe 5000 pcs of ~5/16” x 2” SS pins from a job shop. Read “Made for My Order, not a stocked item”.

Everybody had a good laugh at my expense when the new pins arrived but were non-magnetic so we couldn’t hold them on the grinder table!

Frank

scott spencer
12-29-2005, 2:49 PM
Funny story Tom! What struck me as funny is that any of us could do the same thing given similar circumstances!

Did you save any of that magnetic dust? You've given me a great idea to get even with the person at work who keeps parking in my spot! :D :D :D

Frank Chaffee
12-29-2005, 3:19 PM
Oh Scott,
You are bad!
And you look like such a nice guy in your avatar too.

Frank

scott spencer
12-29-2005, 3:57 PM
Oh Scott,
You are bad!
And you look like such a nice guy in your avatar too.

Frank ...and here I thought that was a "lighter sentence" from the original idea! :eek: :D

Frank Chaffee
12-29-2005, 4:03 PM
Scott,
Isn’t it cool how the ‘Creek helps us to become kinder persons? So much new information, so many perspectives never before considered.
Frank