PDA

View Full Version : Air leak - framing nailer

Bob Cooper
07-04-2020, 6:48 PM
I have a Dewalt framing nailer — believe it or not sometimes I even use it for cabinetry. Haven’t used it in a while but pulled it out yesterday and it’s leaking air like a sieve right at the top where the nails exit. Any ideas?

Tom M King
07-04-2020, 7:02 PM
Firing seal. I've never been in a Dewalt, but you can probably find a youtube video for the repair. Usually, firing valves/seals can be found on ebay, with free shipping.

Bill Dufour
07-04-2020, 7:09 PM
Not clear, is it leaking at the bottom where nails shoot out or the top of the cylinder where the exhaust comes out.
Bil lD.

Bob Cooper
07-04-2020, 7:14 PM
I’d need to check to verify but I believe it’s leaking very close to where the nails come out.

peter gagliardi
07-04-2020, 9:18 PM
Give it about a teaspoon of air tool oil in the inlet fitting, hook up air, cycle about a dozen times- sometimes it goes away- the oil helps keep the seal sealed. If that don't work, time for a teardown.

Bob Cooper
07-04-2020, 9:40 PM
Will do. Thanks guys

Tom M King
07-05-2020, 8:23 AM
The other high-probability cause could be a piece of trash, or insect. I keep little covers on all of my air tool inlets after getting a dirt dauber in one of them. It's little effort to pull the top off the gun to see if there is anything obvious. I have some guns 46 years old, and have never had an o-ring go bad, but have had a number of firing seals split.

Bob Cooper
07-05-2020, 1:58 PM
Will do. Thanks

Chris Fournier
07-06-2020, 1:08 PM
Give it about a teaspoon of air tool oil in the inlet fitting, hook up air, cycle about a dozen times- sometimes it goes away- the oil helps keep the seal sealed. If that don't work, time for a teardown.
This! And if this doesn't work you'll need a seal kit, but this works almost always. I put my guns away with oil in them and a cycle or two. A stitch in time...

johnny means
07-06-2020, 5:57 PM
Clearly, the only answer to your problem is to pick up a shiny, new rechargeable framing nailer.