PDA

View Full Version : Plane length related to jointing ability

Eric Todd
12-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Hello,

First time posting, really enjoy reading and learning here.

What is the appropriate jointing ability for plane based on there length.

Example #5, #6,#7

Is there a common relationship between the length of a plane and the length of a board to be jointed effectively?

Thanks

Mark Singer
12-29-2005, 11:22 AM
My personal preference for gluing up boards is to joint with a shorter lenth plane....This way I can allow a bit of camber in the joint ant one clamp at the center closes it...I do use more than one. So I will usually start with a jointer and the make an extra pass in the central are with a #4 or #5

Tim Sproul
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
You can joint with a block plane. It just takes a lot more skill and checking for straight and square.

In general, longer planes make for an easier time of jointing. Longer planes also make for a MUCH EASIER time to get both straight and smooth. The other factor to consider is where the cutter is located. The closer to the center, the 'longest' the plane will be.

To do what Mark does....'springing a joint'....you don't need to switch to a shorter plane for the last stroke or few. Just skew your longer soled jointer plane. Take into account what the humidity has been at for the last couple weeks or longer. If it has been bone dry, I skip springing a joint. If it has been very humid, you might want to add a bit more spring to the joint.

Back to your question....the appropriate length for a #5, 6, 7, etc. is very much dependent upon the wielder of the tool. Some folks can joint a 12 foot plank with a #4 smoother. Other can't do it even if given a 14 foot straight edge and properly tuned circular saw....nevermind the disaster that would ensue if you gave those folks a hand plane :)

Mike Wenzloff
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi Eric--Welcome!

As with a powered jointer, if the goal is a straight edge--as opposed to a sprung joint as Mark prefers--the longer the better. To a point.

Wood jointers were available in much longer lengths than a cast iron plane is capable of. A few modern makers still can and do make them longer than the 24" of a Stanley-styled #8. One can still find them occassionaly on the used market up to 36" in length.

I have found that a #8 is a decent length for everything of length I have made. But I only have used it to joint long boards destined for gluiing into a buffet sized top. Else I use a #6 and down for other work.

It's a trade-off between control and length/balance on the edge of a board. There are good reasons even with modern glues to spring a joint, the main reason being keeping the joint closed at the ends during the cycles of expansion and contraction.

Still, with a sprung joint, one should start with a straight joint and add spring like Mark describes. Technique/practice is as or more important than the length of the plane.

But to answer more directly, there is not a formula for what plane *should* be used for X length of board in jointing. In general, my preference is to at least be able to have the entire plane on the board before having the toe leave the far end. For me, this allows a bit of control to help me prevent creating a convex joint.

Accordingly, on certain work, I have jointed with block planes up to the #8. There has been some work that if I had a 36" wood jointer I would have used one, but it is not necessary. Careful attention will allow a shorter jointer to work edges at least 4 times as long as the plane--at least that would be the longest relationship I have worked.

Take care, Mike

Jerry Palmer
12-30-2005, 2:18 PM
Unlike a tailed jointer which indexes on the leading end of the workpiece being jointed, thus limiting the length of board that can effectively be jointed, a handplane indexes to the area beneath it at any given point on the board. Also, while a properly set up and adjusted tailed jointer pretty much does the work on its own with little guidance once the operator has perfected the relatively simple procedure involved, a handplane must be guided by the operator. It does not automatically make the board coplanar, but requires operator intervention. You must guide the plane to the areas that need attention. For example, an edge with a convex curve in the middle requires the handplane operator to work that high area down by only applying the plane to that area initially, then incrementally lengthening the area to which the plane is applied as the straight flat area in the middle lengthens until one is obtaining a single full width shaving over the entire length of the piece.

harry strasil
01-01-2006, 7:30 PM
This is a picture of my 5 foot long jointer, its 5 inches wide a little over 4 inches thick and the blade is a piece of 3/8 thick by 4 inch wide truck spring. I need to remouth it as the mouth is a tad wide, but it works really well. I did install a 90 degree guide on the right side to keep things square.

Gene Collison
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Hello,

First time posting, really enjoy reading and learning here.

What is the appropriate jointing ability for plane based on there length.

Example #5, #6,#7

Is there a common relationship between the length of a plane and the length of a board to be jointed effectively?

Thanks

I believe that the rule of thumb is that the edge you are jointing must be no longer than 2 1/2 times the length of the plane being used. I will remember where I read this as soon as I hit "submit reply". I have used this rule for years and have never had any issues with it. It works for me.

gene

Eric Todd
01-02-2006, 7:08 PM
Thanks everyone- great info.

Jerry Palmer
01-03-2006, 3:16 PM
I believe that the rule of thumb is that the edge you are jointing must be no longer than 2 1/2 times the length of the plane being used. I will remember where I read this as soon as I hit "submit reply". I have used this rule for years and have never had any issues with it. It works for me.

gene

While I have heard that for a tailed jointer the effective length is about twice the total length of the infeed and outfeed beds, I have never heard of a limit for jointing with a handplane in any relationship to the length of the plane.

Gene Collison
01-03-2006, 6:30 PM
While I have heard that for a tailed jointer the effective length is about twice the total length of the infeed and outfeed beds, I have never heard of a limit for jointing with a handplane in any relationship to the length of the plane.

The same relationship should exist between the powered jointer and the handplane. The powered jointer is nothing more than an inverted handplane with a powered blade. Two to one, two and a half to one, very close. Without looking at his post Mike W. said he can't remember going more than 4:1 which may be pushing it a bit.

gene