PDA

View Full Version : Trash Pandas

Rob Luter
07-04-2020, 8:04 AM
I like to feed birds. I keep my sunflower seed on my deck in a galvanized steel trash can with a steel lid in order to keep squirrels and such out of it. Last year, the raccoons figured out how to pry the lid off. I secured it with a rubber bungee strap looped through the side handles and the handle on the lid. Now the damn raccoons have figured out all they need to do is chew it in half and they're in. They've done it twice this week. This morning we woke to a mama and baby 'coon feasting in the can. This time it's personal. I'm thinking a chain of some sort. Chew on that.

Steve Eure
07-04-2020, 8:18 AM
I had a neighbor who had a similar problem. He insulated the bottom of his can by placing it on a sheet of rubber. Then hooked an electric fence charger to it, and surprisingly solved his problem. He lives in the country so there was no issues with neighborhood kids and such. If you take this approach, make sure you check with authorities before doing so. Get one with a large enough jolt to really deter the little boogers. Oh, and by the way, put a large sign on it to remind your spouse and yourself that it may be plugged in.

Terry Wawro
07-04-2020, 8:39 AM
Maybe swap out the bungee with a custom length of light steel cable. (Years ago the local Dollar Store had 3 ft lengths with snaps on both ends for $1. I wish I'd bought a dozen) Also, mix in a health dose of cayenne pepper to the seeds and maybe sprinkle it around the can. Birds don't have the taste buds that sense pepper and it is perfectly healthy for them but it deters raccoons and squirrels. If fact, they sell birdseed with the pepper already mixed it.

Lee Schierer
07-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Who can't like these guys??

Rob Luter
07-04-2020, 11:15 AM

They're cute, especially the small ones. When I went to confront the two invaders this morning momma ran like a scalded cat but the small one rolled into a ball and tried to hide behind the seed scoop. He eventually realized the futility of it all and scampered off. I went to the hardware and got a length of chain and a couple operable links to attach to the handles. Any raccoon that could pry the lid off now belongs in a sci-fi movie.

Mel Fulks
07-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Yes, When Ive ordered raccoons that's the way they were packed. Here's a tip, it would be a lot easier to find one that
has run away if they were not ALL named "Bandit".

John Stankus
07-04-2020, 11:51 AM

Let me see...
The guy who has to pick up their droppings every week before he can mow the lawn (I hate turd-patrol!)
the neighbor who got them in his attic.

Only 7 or 8 (but the photos are from last year) not the 10 or 11 in your photo (If I found the right photo, dang thumbnails are pretty small)

Saw a pretty good size band go through the yard the other day, no photos though. I wish I could figure out how to redirect their route.

John

Mel Fulks
07-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Nature's way of reducing their numbers is, of course, Alamo and Davy Crockett films. Almanac says we are over due
for another re-make.

Zachary Hoyt
07-04-2020, 12:49 PM
I keep pig feed in a galvanized can with a light chain, and over the last 17 summers of pigs I have not had it get opened yet. A bear could do it easily, but they're not common around here yet, though a few have been seen in the last few years.

Alan Rutherford
07-04-2020, 2:24 PM
Factoids I discovered after a racoon found a vulnerability in our chicken coop a few years ago and was unwise enough to come back the next night: 1) One of those cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarms will wake you up if a racoon walks in front of it. 2) A headlamp will not only make the critter's eyes glow, it will illuminate the sights on your rifle.

Rob Luter
07-04-2020, 9:23 PM
The chain was effective. So much so that the disappointment was manifested in a pile of raccoon crap. How thoughtful. I’ll let it dry out a bit prior to removing it.

Bruce Wrenn
07-04-2020, 9:33 PM
The chain was effective. So much so that the disappointment was manifested in a pile of raccoon crap. How thoughtful. I’ll let it dry out a bit prior to removing it.

Told you what they thought of your chain idea, didn't they. I'm in the electric fence charger group. Years ago, in a local town, the dogs started marking the wall of a the drug store. Owner put some hardware cloth on insulators on the wall, and made sure the side walk was wet. Hooked up charger, and in two days, no more dogs marking the wall. I had a customer that had a LARGE dog, that every day marked my tires as soon as I got out of the truck. Hooked fence charger to truck bumper, and in just a few moments he announced that he had found it. Slow learner as the next day he tried it again, but not on the third day. If allowed, a single strand of electric fence mounted about 12" off the ground will help train them.

Rob Luter
07-05-2020, 7:05 AM
Told you what they thought of your chain idea, didn't they. I'm in the electric fence charger group. Years ago, in a local town, the dogs started marking the wall of a the drug store. Owner put some hardware cloth on insulators on the wall, and made sure the side walk was wet. Hooked up charger, and in two days, no more dogs marking the wall. I had a customer that had a LARGE dog, that every day marked my tires as soon as I got out of the truck. Hooked fence charger to truck bumper, and in just a few moments he announced that he had found it. Slow learner as the next day he tried it again, but not on the third day. If allowed, a single strand of electric fence mounted about 12" off the ground will help train them.

I have lots of experience with electric fence from growing up on the farm. The chain is simple but effective.

My shop teacher in 8th grade had a cool hot rod. Whenever he parked it anywhere there were folks crawling all over it, and that bothered him. He electrified the body using a car battery and an old Model T coil. On the maiden voyage he was sitting in a coffee shop getting a bite and watching the car through the window. Some punk started a far too close inspection and was knocked on his butt. Mission accomplished? It seemed so until the kid picked up a big rock and bashed in the windshield.

Mike Cutler
07-05-2020, 7:40 AM
They're cute and fun to watch, but in the end they have to go. They can be fairly destructive given an opportunity.
Don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm in the .22LR, and #2/BB, camp to resolve them.

Rob Luter
07-05-2020, 8:58 AM
They're cute and fun to watch, but in the end they have to go. They can be fairly destructive given an opportunity.
Don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm in the .22LR, and #2/BB, camp to resolve them.

That's my next step. Shortly after my last post I went outside to check a live trap I'd set for a groundhog. It was full of raccoon. The trap was torn all to hell. I think I can fix it. I hope so since it cost me $60 two days ago. I was going to dispatch the little bugger with my .22 but my bride objected, so I let it go. That's her gimme. I love the wildlife, but I'm the apex predator around here.

Lee Schierer
07-05-2020, 8:59 AM
That's my next step. Shortly after my last post I went outside to check a live trap I'd set for a groundhog. It was full of raccoon. The trap was torn all to hell. I think I can fix it. I hope so since it cost me $60 two days ago. I was going to dispatch the little bugger with my .22 but my bride objected, so I let it go. That's her gimme. I love the wildlife, but I'm the apex predator around here.

In PA, it is illegal to relocate raccoons and skunks due to the potential of rabies. They do make a real mess of your live traps.

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2020, 9:04 AM
I don’t know,

I tend to think we’re kinda in the animals way not them in ours. But I know that’s not a popular perspective.

I’d also tend to think logic would tell one that if they put out food to attract one animal they are smitten by, but it also attracts a animal they are not well then pretty simple solution.

Further pretty obvious maybe feeding the wildlife is not such a good idea.

And I have birds I like to watch, mostly on account of neighbors with bird feeders and a densely settle neighborhood. I also have a small water feature. As a result I get snakes, chip munks, rabbits, squirrels, skunks. I have some very expensive bonsai, like very expensive and they can create some serious damage and havoc. The birds poop on everything mostly my furniture Then I can’t sit out there, the chip monks are tunneling so bad my house will probably sink into the ground.

We also get coyote a few times a year, I have a dog, I love my dog more than people. People wanna eradicate the coyote. I’d prefer to remain cautious feeling we have encroached on their territory the poor things and more of a “us god dam humans”. Again how the hell can I love my dog so much then get mad at a coyote for being a coyote when I’ve left him no place to go. Again seems like logic.

But I see it this way, if I love nature so much as to love my garden the way I do, if i love my bonsai again a extension of nature, to be smitten by a beautiful bird but set out to attract them then get pissed when the rest of nature does something I don’t like well then seems the problem is me. Same with the coyote if I’m so threatened by it maybe I should change my habits to suit it not it to suit mine..

Rob Luter
07-05-2020, 12:47 PM
I’d rather peacefully coexist, but when they start crossing the line from mischievous to destructive I have to take a stand.

Jim Koepke
07-05-2020, 6:07 PM
My solution for raccoons was to stop feeding the cats outside and a few warning shots from a sling shot. It would sting them and they weren't so bold after that.

jtk

Curt Harms
07-06-2020, 6:38 AM
I’d rather peacefully coexist, but when they start crossing the line from mischievous to destructive I have to take a stand.

I doubt they view themselves as destructive. They will stay away if going there results in painful consequences or there's no good reason to go there, no food no warm shelter etc.

ChrisA Edwards
07-06-2020, 11:04 AM
My cat pretty much lives in our screened in porch most of the year.

We feed him on the cat tree, so our dogs don't eat his food.

He's on the chair at 5 o'clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoxBm8l5NV0

Rob Luter
07-06-2020, 11:04 AM
I doubt they view themselves as destructive. They will stay away if going there results in painful consequences or there's no good reason to go there, no food no warm shelter etc.

I doubt they view themselves at all. They're just doing what they do.