PDA

View Full Version : Wooden beater for a froe

Jack Frederick
07-02-2020, 11:59 AM
I have some logs I've cut to a rough length and needed a froe to get them to rough size. I just rec'd the LN froe. I had an old knot that was intended to to be carved up to make my hammer, but when I went looking for it, well in a cleaning frenzy this winter it didn't make the cut but did make it to the fire. So, back to square one, prompting the question, what do you like in a Froe hammer?

Tom M King
07-02-2020, 1:20 PM
It's going to get beaten to a mush, so don't buy one for that job. Usually, just a Hickory limb with the handle whittled down with a hatchet, after sawing around the base of the head.

Jim Koepke
07-02-2020, 2:19 PM
Do you have a lathe? Here is one turned out of alder firewood:

It was a bit heavy so some more was removed above the handle.

Without a lathe a piece of split firewood and tree limbs have had handles cut in to them with various tools:

This shows how much the "Big Whacker" was cut down.

It also shows my mini froe and mini whacker.

The one on the left was a piece of split firewood that had good balance. The one on the left is a piece of bog or bitter cherry.

The mush ring can be seen on all of them where they contact the froe.

jtk

Bill Baethke
07-02-2020, 4:57 PM
I have one out of Osage Orange. Heavy and pretty indestructible. It is a booger to shape, though.

John Keeton
07-02-2020, 6:40 PM
Froe mauls are a disposable item depending on your amount of use. Grab a nice size piece of hardwood firewood and shape it on a lathe if you have one. If not, use a draw knife or hatchet.

Jim Matthews
07-02-2020, 9:29 PM
I used a Louisville slugger remnant that was broken at a local softball tournament.

Bill White
07-03-2020, 4:26 PM
I have one I made from a dogwood root ball. Pretty darned tough.

John K Jordan
07-03-2020, 5:12 PM
I have one I made from a dogwood root ball. Pretty darned tough.

I made mine from a chunk of dogwood, turned on the lathe.

Jim Hoti
07-03-2020, 10:48 PM
we always use dogwood with froes, and also made wooden wedges out of dogwood when we were making split rail fence. Start with Iron wedges, then use the wooden ones down the crack.

Bill White
07-04-2020, 11:19 AM
Yep! Dogwood wedges here too.

Bill Bukovec
07-04-2020, 11:11 PM
I am using a hunk of locust I turned on my lathe. Before that, I used hard maple.

Jerome Andrieux
07-05-2020, 6:16 AM
I usually make two sides flat, to produce a 90 degrees angle, as to make it easier to hit the tip of the froe on big logs.
Mine is quite small, being a barrel maker froe. The lie Nielsen or gransfors are longer iirc, geared towards shingles making.

Michael J Evans
07-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Deadblow or rubber mallet? I have a old big rubber mallet, that I may have borrowed from my dad about 8 years ago, that I literally use for whacking almost anything. I bring it camping to hit the top of my hatchet. Assembly of stuff, hitting my chisels, setting my wood planes, and dang near about any other non metal hammer task. The mallet was half chewed up when I got it and just won't die. It's not technically a deadblow. But it has almost no perceivable bounce back.