PDA

View Full Version : New Harvey Woodworking table saw models

Garrad Miller
07-01-2020, 11:35 PM
https://www.harveywoodworking.com/collections/table-saws?sort_by=price-ascending

Looks like they just released some new models including what interests me most a $1595 2hp model with 31 1/2" deep table. Am i missing a saw or is that somewhat a class of its own?

Matt Day
07-02-2020, 7:50 AM
A Unisaw or PM66 have 29” deep, so 31.5” is a tiny bit more, but I wouldn’t say a class of its own. A 12/14 type saw is a different class I’d say.

Tony Shea
07-02-2020, 7:58 AM
It's certainly a nice looking saw and is something I would consider buying. There are some well thought out features and if the table is as flat as they say it is I am in.

Orlando Gonzalez
07-02-2020, 11:12 AM
Nice looking machines. The Ambassador C200-30 looks very similar to the Grizzly G0899. It has the same dual dust port system, the way the riving knife is attached (the plate that holds it down) the quick release system are almost identical, and the fence system are conceptually the same. I wonder if it's an offshoot of Grizzly or a clone. Not saying it's a bad saw because if it performs the same way as my G0833P (precursor to the G0899) it will make the owner very happy. The only thing I don't like about the Grizzly is the fence where I had to install a Uni-T fence from Peachtree to make it functional.

Here's what the Grizzly looks like https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-With-Riving-Knife/G0899

Garrad Miller
07-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Nice looking machines. The Ambassador C200-30 looks very similar to the Grizzly G0899. It has the same dual dust port system, the way the riving knife is attached (the plate that holds it down) the quick release system are almost identical, and the fence system are conceptually the same. I wonder if it's an offshoot of Grizzly or a clone. Not saying it's a bad saw because if it performs the same way as my G0833P (precursor to the G0899) it will make the owner very happy. The only thing I don't like about the Grizzly is the fence where I had to install a Uni-T fence from Peachtree to make it functional.

Here's what the Grizzly looks like https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-With-Riving-Knife/G0899

My understanding is Harvey is a long time oem for Grizzly but now selling direct as well. and the C200-30 like your saying is essentialy a G0899

Stewart Lang
07-02-2020, 4:36 PM
"A precision ground and hardened cast iron top... has a flatness of less than 0.0118"

Is it just me or does that seem like something NOT to advertise for a table saw lol. Maybe it's just me, but that's not really that great, considering how small the top is. That's almost 12 thou. I already consider anything above 8-10 thou to be pretty out of whack. I mean I know it's not a jointer bed, but still...

Andy D Jones
07-02-2020, 4:54 PM
A Unisaw or PM66 have 29” deep, so 31.5” is a tiny bit more, but I wouldn’t say a class of its own. A 12/14 type saw is a different class I’d say.

I cannot speak for PM66's, but my Unisaw, bought new in the early 90's, still has the original table which is 27" deep.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

David L Morse
07-02-2020, 4:56 PM
"A precision ground and hardened cast iron top... has a flatness of less than 0.0118"

Is it just me or does that seem like something NOT to advertise for a table saw lol. Maybe it's just me, but that's not really that great, considering how small the top is. That's almost 12 thou. I already consider anything above 8-10 thou to be pretty out of whack. I mean I know it's not a jointer bed, but still...

Sawstop specs .010" and is normally considered to be good build quality.

Where did you find that spec?

johnny means
07-03-2020, 3:11 AM
I like the idea of them packaging in a couple of accessories that most of us pay a lot for in the aftermarket world.

Stewart Lang
07-03-2020, 9:15 AM
Sawstop specs .010" and is normally considered to be good build quality.

Where did you find that spec?

It was on their website when you click on a model and scroll through the specs.

Garrad Miller
07-04-2020, 4:35 PM
Was looking at these more. Been debating on pulling the trigger on that least expensive Alpha model due to a coupon code. Looking at the specs its only about 15lbs heavier than the base Ambassador. Looks like they made the table deeper but also narrower, there is not much cast iron right of the right miter slot. The 3hp Ambassador is $100 more and considerably heavier but without thw fancy miter gauge and as many features. Any opinions between those 2? Or a saw im missing that i could get for $1500 total range?

Orlando Gonzalez
07-04-2020, 10:07 PM
I think the 3hp Ambassador would be a better choice. More HP and a better fence system but only 30" rip capacity to the right. The 2hp Ambassador is still in the hybrid category although you get 36" rip capacity and the fancy miter gauge, but the lack of space to the right of the miter slot may be an issue.

I would have bought this one had I had 220v capability when I got the G0833P. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-3-HP-240V-Cabinet-Table-Saw/G1023RL

Garrad Miller
07-04-2020, 11:13 PM
The fence on the c300 does look like a more substantial tube but im not sure if its any better in practice. Do you know for sure based on that design? I know its similar to some others. I have looked at the 1023rl its on the very upper end of what um wanting to spend currently though. Can get c300 for less and they seem pretty comparable.

Alex Zeller
07-05-2020, 1:29 AM
The real question is can you get parts for the saw down the road. They seam to be not an exact copy of the Powermatic or Delta. I don't think Harvey will go out of business but there's lots of competition so I wonder if they will stick with it.

Orlando Gonzalez
07-05-2020, 2:19 PM
The fence on the c300 does look like a more substantial tube but im not sure if its any better in practice. Do you know for sure based on that design? I know its similar to some others. I have looked at the 1023rl its on the very upper end of what um wanting to spend currently though. Can get c300 for less and they seem pretty comparable.

Can't say for sure on the fence but the Grizzly fence is, I think, the same as on the Shop Fox saws. But if was my decision, and it's not, I would opt for the 1023RL because it has a proven record and as Alex stated are parts going to be available if the Harvey venture doesn't pan out. This happened to me when Steel City (Orion made the saws for them and Craftsman) went under. I had the Craftsman hybrid and I couldn't get a replacement worm gear for the saw, even on ebay. Had to trash it and get the G0833P.

Garrad Miller
07-05-2020, 5:40 PM
Thats a good point and for very similar saws at the same price i would pick Grizzly, especially since theyre semi local to me.

On a side note are the Ambassador and Alpha 2hp models really hybirds? They weigh as much as a Sawstop PCS which i don't see people call a hybrid.

Phil Gaudio
07-05-2020, 6:42 PM
Looks like this is a china based company: that takes it off the potential vendor list for me.

Frank Pratt
07-05-2020, 7:50 PM
Looks like this is a china based company: that takes it off the potential vendor list for me.

That will certainly leave an extremely limited number of choices.

Phil Gaudio
07-05-2020, 8:02 PM
Lots of choices from Taiwan (including Sawstop).

That will certainly leave an extremely limited number of choices.

Frank Pratt
07-05-2020, 8:54 PM
Lots of choices from Taiwan (including Sawstop).

True. I haven't priced anything for ages. How is pricing of Taiwanese product compared to Chinese? Is the Taiwan stuff generally more up market?

I thought SawStop went to China. I'me pretty sure I saw a Made in China somewhere on the saw. It is a top notch machine.

Orlando Gonzalez
07-05-2020, 9:16 PM
......On a side note are the Ambassador and Alpha 2hp models really hybirds? They weigh as much as a Sawstop PCS which i don't see people call a hybrid.

I think the term "hybrid" is often used to describe a saw that has many of the same characteristics of the "cabinet" saw like a fully enclosed cabinet, table mounted trunnions, TEFC motor,and a riving knife system, etc but may not be as robust as the cabinet saw and the fence system is usually not the same as the full cabinet saw. The "hybrid" designation is usually based on the HP of the saw not on weight. Most are 1.75hp - 2hp while the full "cabinet" starts at 3hp. However, there may be some like the Shop Foc W1819 that has a 3hp motor but is classified as a "hybrid" saw. Why SS doesn't list their 1.75hp PCS as a "hybrid" saw is a company preference which I won't speculate on.

Curt Harms
07-06-2020, 6:26 AM
I'm not sure the term "hybrid saw" has ever really been defined, or at least I've never seen it. I thought the term meant fully enclosed cabinet but the trunnions mounted to the top, not the cabinet. Also able to run on 120 volts/dual voltage.

Frank Pratt
07-06-2020, 9:36 AM
A hybrid saw is one where the trunions are hung from the table but the motor is housed within the cabinet. That is the most widely accepted definition. It has nothing to do with the motor HP or voltage, or the fence design. A hybrid will generally have lighter, lower end components than a cabinet saw though.

SawStop's 1.75 HP PCS is fully a cabinet saw. The only difference between it & the 3 HP saw is the size of the motor & some of the accessory options.

Orlando Gonzalez
07-06-2020, 10:20 AM
What Curt said is true. I don't think there is a definitive definition for a "hybrid" saw. Frank also made a point that it will have lighter components than a cabinet saw. However, the Craftsman that I had was designated as a "hybrid" saw by the manufacturer (Orion/Steel City) had a 1.75hp motor (110v/220v) housed inside the cabinet and cabinet mounted trunnions. The Grizzly G0833P I own (now the G0899) has a 2hp (110v/220v) enclosed motor and cabinet mounted trunnions and is designated by Grizzly as a "hybrid" saw. Apparently, manufacturers are the ones that determine if their saws are "hybrid" or cabinet based on the manufacturer's rubric.

Carl Crout
07-07-2020, 12:54 PM
My understanding is Harvey is a long time oem for Grizzly but now selling direct as well. and the C200-30 like your saying is essentialy a G0899

Not sure about Grizz but they used to make saws for Laguna. Now they have started selling on their own. Not sure who makes Laguna table saws any more

Garrad Miller
07-08-2020, 4:33 PM
Found a demo Sawstop PCS 1.75 with mobile base and no rails or fence for $1800 locally. That sound reasonable? Not sure what the rails and fence should subtract.

Derek Meyer
07-08-2020, 7:09 PM
Sawstop sells the rip fence for $150 (T-glide), the 36" rails for $150 and the 52" rails for $200.

The 1.75Hp PCS with the mobility kit, 36" T-glide fence and no other accessories prices out to $2868 new direct from them. Shipping adds $250.

Orlando Gonzalez
07-08-2020, 7:28 PM
On the SS site the 36" rails are $150 and the T-Glide fence is $150. SO $1880 + $300 = $2100, $2150 if you want the 52" rails. New 1.75hp PCS with 36" rails and integrated mobile base is $2868 the same with 52" rails is $2968. You are going to need to see if it's worth it you.

Frank Pratt
07-08-2020, 8:23 PM
Resale value on SawStop is quite high, so that demo price seems reasonable. I'd go for it myself, but only you can decide how shiney & new you want your saw. If you go new, a few months down the road it'll be the same as a demo. On the other hand, they sure are pretty just out of the box.

When mine was brand new, my grandson set a can of Coke on it, leaving a round stain. Not really a big deal though. I explained the rules about wet stuff on cast iron. Now I can't even remember where the stain is.

Garrad Miller
07-09-2020, 6:32 PM
I went ahead and ordered the 2hp alpha. Hopefully will work well, should be a good upgrade from my older Jet contractor saw.

Alex Zeller
07-09-2020, 9:17 PM
Update us with a review once you get it set up.

Garrad Miller
08-04-2020, 10:40 PM
Well I got this the other day. Haven't had too much time with it yet but got it all put togethet with some initial impressions.

Shipped quick and was packaged well.
Cast iron top looks good, miter slots show a lot pf machine marks.
Cast extensiom table had a couple good scratches.

Right metal/wood extension table seems fine.

Cabinet stickers and labels are a little sloppy.

Took one piece of masking take on the bottom edge of the table to flatten out the cast extension, seems and edges line up pretty well.

Rails are very nice, have the best finish out of any of the parts.

Fence im still a little unsure on, it slides and locks down perfectly. I wish the aluminum high low portion had a 3rd locking knob there are 2 and both positioned on the front half. There is enough play you can set it touching the table or slightly above. The high low markers im not a fan of, the lainted lines on the plastic already arent perfecty sharp and slightly twisted. The locking knobs for the fine tuning dont tighten down with the H L letters straight.

Have not dived in to it real deep but everything looks very close to perfectly square out of the box.

The compass miter gauge is nice. I have not had this style with a fence so im not sure if its normal but it does have some ability to rock up and down on its long axis, it stays true with no movement at 90.

Orlando Gonzalez
08-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Enjoy your saw!. On my 2HP Grizzly I use Freud thin kerf rip blades and occasionally a full kerf one and it handles it well. The fence issue I resolved by getting the Uni-T-Fence from Peachtree - https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html.
It works really well.

Garrad Miller
08-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Enjoy your saw!. On my 2HP Grizzly I use Freud thin kerf rip blades and occasionally a full kerf one and it handles it well. The fence issue I resolved by getting the Uni-T-Fence from Peachtree - https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html.
It works really well.

Thanks for the link. That does look like a nice solution.

Brian Holcombe
08-06-2020, 8:25 AM

Apparently this is a pretty common number, I think it’s horrible but I’ve had one manufacturer quote me that number as their spec. They followed it with a typically guilty ‘you’re just working wood, right’ nonsense retort to my question.

Nevermind that my tablesaw and jointer tables are within .003 and .001” flatness respectively and the tables I’ve had flattened are better still. All of those are used ‘for working wood’.

My bandsaw table is a mile away from flat but one day I’ll probably get fed up enough to have it planed.

Jim Lafferty
01-16-2021, 9:13 AM
Hey Garrad - how’s the saw working for you?

I went ahead and ordered the 2hp alpha. Hopefully will work well, should be a good upgrade from my older Jet contractor saw.

Julie Moriarty
02-27-2021, 2:21 PM
While looking for info on the Harvey G700, I found out they make other tools. Never heard of them before seeing a video on the G700.

Their Alpha HW1105S looks pretty impressive for the price. 4HP, overarm DC, and a pretty nice miter gauge. All for quite a bit less than the Unisaw I've been eyeing.