PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Style stuff for Martin

harry strasil
12-29-2005, 9:53 AM
Not sure the Shakers would appreciate the embellishment Martin, but they might allow the religious theme.

Small table made for a young Preacher I liked real well.

Legs are native walnut, top is slightly spalted maple, and stretchers are maple. Cross is walnut, red oak, and mulberry. All hand work.

]

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2005, 9:55 AM
Harry....I'm not Martin but I hope you don't mind me responding.....Fantastic work! You've been holding out on us!

harry strasil
12-29-2005, 9:59 AM
Also a 2 piece sewing box and stand, no metal used, pine construction with maple hinges.

Front view-
Back view -
Close up of inlay-
Note - all of my inlay is hand cut, hand planed to thickness and width in small shoot boards I have made.

harry strasil
12-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Thank you Ken, My wood working has been on hold for almost 2 years since the death of my wife of 36 years, I have been consentrating on my work as a blacksmith since and have spent most of my time at Iforgeiron.com doing blueprints.

I have since remarried to a wonderful lady with a nice personality and she has renewed my life.

Wes Harper
12-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Paul Erickson
12-29-2005, 6:45 PM
Also a 2 piece sewing box and stand, no metal used, pine construction with maple hinges.

Front view-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/sewingbox.jpg

Back view -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/swngboxback.jpg

Close up of inlay-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/swngboxclsup.jpg

Note - all of my inlay is hand cut, hand planed to thickness and width in small shoot boards I have made.

Any chance of seeing pictures of the small shoot boards?

cheers, Paul

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 7:32 PM
Harry, thanks for sharing more of your work. It's great. I happen to like the inlay work on the sewing piece because of how it reflects the craftsmanship that went into it...it's slight imperfections from all the painstaking hand work compliment the piece so well.

harry strasil
12-29-2005, 7:56 PM
Paul, they are buried in the largest of my demo tool boxes in the trailer I keep the demo stuff in for transportation, I will try to get pics at the earliest opportunity tho

Martin Shupe
12-29-2005, 9:21 PM
Harry,

I don't want to limit you to Shaker, please post anything you make! Your work is fantastic! I have not done any inlay, but it looks like you are a master!

Seriously excellent work, Harry, I really liked the cross end table.

Thanks for posting.

harry strasil
12-31-2005, 2:07 PM
Martin, here is a multipurpose piece I use year round, In the winter its used for a display surface in my house, in the summer for demos its used as either an assembly table or a seat, but actually hides a 2inch sterafoam lined cooler to keep my food and drink cool. :)

Dan Forman
12-31-2005, 4:44 PM
Harry---You do outstanding work, thanks for sharing. Glad your life is on the upswing again.

Dan