PDA

View Full Version : A Walk-about..

steven c newman
06-26-2020, 5:44 PM
Well, at least I didn't fall flat on the sidewalk, THIS time, around...I went downtown, to visit a couple Antique Shops...3 blocks each way. By the time I got back home..I was $9 and change poorer:eek:

Last time I saw this brace..
He wanted $10 just for the brace. I Paid $9.65 counting Tax...for the brace AND 3 bits.

Then walk back home, and clean things up...

These two were just $2, for the pair...Top one is a Russel Jennings, #9...the other is a James Swan #5-1/2 ( 3/8")

Unable to find a name on either the brace or the #6 bit
I managed to get the thumbscrew off, and clean everything up.... a drop of oil where needed.
Had a better day walking, than I did driving to a few yard sales.....looking for info on the brace, now.

steven c newman
06-27-2020, 8:08 PM
While I doubt J. Fray put that apple shaped head on this brace.....he just might have made that chuck....

Bolt looks almost like a carriage bolt..known as a Stove Bolt? Square between the threads and the head of the bolt..is a TIGHT fit into a tapered square opening. All you have to worry about, is not to lose the wing nut,

Inside the top of the "apple" there is a hex headed bolt.....holding a washer in place. Was squeaking a bit, until a couple drops of 3in1 oil arrived....no squeaks heard, now. I could wander back to the shop, for a couple pictures of the inside of the chuck..IF anyone wants...

Going to go look up a James Swan bit size....5-1/2?

Thomas Wilson
06-28-2020, 11:39 AM
While I doubt J. Fray put that apple shaped head on this brace.....he just might have made that chuck....

Bolt looks almost like a carriage bolt..known as a Stove Bolt? Square between the threads and the head of the bolt..is a TIGHT fit into a tapered square opening. All you have to worry about, is not to lose the wing nut,

Inside the top of the "apple" there is a hex headed bolt.....holding a washer in place. Was squeaking a bit, until a couple drops of 3in1 oil arrived....no squeaks heard, now. I could wander back to the shop, for a couple pictures of the inside of the chuck..IF anyone wants...

Going to go look up a James Swan bit size....5-1/2?

Of course we want!

steven c newman
06-28-2020, 12:30 PM
OK...be careful what you ask for...
These markings are from a vise...and a matching set is on the other side...
There is a set of grooves, where the chuck got pressed on....keeps it from spinning around...
Rotate one half around, to show the inside groove the fits the tapered, square end of a bit...
Handle is held in place with washers, rubbing against spots that seem to be pinched by machine....same as in the head..
I imagine this was done first, then the knob slid into place....
Add another washer, then crimp in place...Knob does have a wood grain effect...not sure IF it is wood....wrist handle IS a dark coloured wood, though...

Meh..might be alright, for $7?

Chris Hachet
06-28-2020, 7:52 PM
Good finds...

steven c newman
06-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Happen to know WHERE a very nice $10 egg beater drill is....with a tight knob on it's hollow handle....Might be either a Stanley, Millers Falls or a Goodell-Pratt....didn't have the spare ten spot on me....

steven c newman
06-30-2020, 9:33 PM
Well, instead of a Walk-about ( too bleeding HOT, today) I did a drive about.....4 blocks. And, for $10 + tax...
This came home with me...Red Head Mfg, of New York,USA....model #110
had one issue...
The chuck. Only had 2 out of 3 jaws, and NO springs....

Have since replaced the chuck, and cleaned things up. 3in1 oil where needed.....even got the handle on the crank loosened up enough to work. Needs a coat of black paint where missing, and a coat of red paint on the gear wheel. Might even look like new.....maybe. Cap on the hollow handle is in great shape! Just wasn't any drill bits inside. Not a biggie, I am sure I have a few bits in a drawer...somewhere.

Will post "After" photos, once the paint is done....IF anyone wants.

steven c newman
07-01-2020, 12:41 AM
The after photos...
Threads for the cap even looked good...

steven c newman
07-02-2020, 7:04 PM
I am doing these Walk-abouts for now, as I am on Vacation from the woodshop. taking a bit of a break, this month. Just sitting back, and looking for ways to use up the scraps I have on hand.

Might be a week or two....we'll see...

The good news?

Saws that were at the sharpening service, have returned to the shop....Disston D-100 (wood handle version) Disston No. 4 ( 14", 9ppi), Disston No.68....and my home-built 9ppi frame saw....all sharp and ready for work, again.....