PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite contractor's saw?

brian zawatsky
06-24-2020, 8:55 PM
So I recently bought a Ridgid portable table saw for jobsite use, and I returned it after using it once. What a piece of junk! Very disappointing, as I have owned Ridgid tools in the past and found them to be of acceptable quality for the price. Not this one. It was like a $550 Fisher Price my first table saw.

Thinking about the DeWalt DWE7491, but I'm wary of buying another piece of junk with lousy tolerances and plastic everything. What are you guys using?

Tom M King
06-24-2020, 9:05 PM
I doubt you can even find one, but I bought a Powermatic 62 new in 1974. That was the model before they figured out how to cheapen them to make the model 63. It's heavy though, with cast iron wings, as well as top. It also has the best mobility kit ever for a contractors saw. There are wheels that stick out a little behind the back legs, and a handle on each of the front legs. You just pick the hinged handles up, lift to a comfortable height, which makes the wheels lift the rear legs, and move it like a wheelbarrow.

It still cuts accurate, and smoothly, but like all contractors saws, has non-existent dust collection possibilities.

Andrew Hughes
06-24-2020, 10:14 PM
The Bosch gravity rise stand is a good one very easy to load and unload in my truck. I put a thin kerf Forrest blade one it when it was new and the cuts very clean.
I also sold it very quickly for a little less then half of what I paid for it.
What a great reputation the saw has.

Good Luck

Bruce Wrenn
06-24-2020, 10:25 PM
I own ,and have owned several Delta Model 10 contractor's saws. Like most Delta tools, they were the "Gold Standard" for many years. Used,twenty year old models are now selling for about 100% of their original costs.

James Dempsey
06-24-2020, 10:54 PM
I have the saw stop jobsite, the build quality is excellent and I get great results with it, however for what it costs you can get a decent used cabinet saw.

John Grossbohlin
06-24-2020, 11:53 PM
I had a Jet contractors saw with cast iron wings, Xacta fence, Biesemeyer T-Splitter, zero clearance insert, and a dust collector pan (??). It was a great saw but after about a year and a half I upgraded to a 3 HP Jet cabinet saw and sold the contractor saw to my brother... Shortly afterward he suffered a job site injury to his spine and the saw went unused. The saw is still at his house...

Rob Luter
06-25-2020, 5:44 AM
Surprised to hear the poor review of the Ridgid. I have had a Ridgid TS3650 for over 10 years and it's been a solid performer. I understood their jobsite version to be the same saw with a different base and perhaps a smaller table.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2005/10/25/contractor-saw-no-ts3650-review

andy bessette
06-25-2020, 7:28 AM
Watch for a used Delta in excellent condition.

Alan Schwabacher
06-25-2020, 7:47 AM
It sounds like you are asking about a job site saw. The term "contractor's saw" refers to a much heavier type that was used by an earlier generation of contractors. You have gotten responses about both.

Peter Kuhlman
06-25-2020, 7:56 AM
I own the DeWalt DWE7491 and like it quite a bit.
Had to sell my cabinet saw as was moving and new shop area far smaller than what I had.
I like that it is compact when stored, easy and quick to set up. Fence so far has been really good at staying calibrated. Plenty of power so far but have not tried using my dado blade set yet. Functionally it works perfectly fine. The saw is actually not that loud although hearing protection is still needed. I like the fence as it gives good support and is accurate. Love the 32” width adjustment feature.

Issues -

The table is far smaller and is really an issue when using my Incra miter gauge or my Woodpecker sled. The very short surface and narrow width need to be understood as it will be the same on all portable saws. The miter slots were not perfect and I have had to file and sand on them to get smoother sliding of my miter gauge. Adjusting blade height takes lots of cranking. Adjusting the blade angle is fine if you only do 45 or 90degree cuts. Fine adjust of blade angle does not exist as you have no wheel for that so I needed to use stop blocks. When the saw is set up the legs by design extend out at angles for support but take up quite a bit of space and I catch my feet on the back ones at times. My saw had gaps in the blade shroud for dust collection as it was missing 2 screws. Fixed that and the dust collection is ok but no where near as good as my old Bridgewood cabinet saw was.

Hope that helps. All small portable saws have issues and the Dewalt for the price had the best base and saw for the money for my needs.

Brian Tymchak
06-25-2020, 8:11 AM
Surprised to hear the poor review of the Ridgid. I have had a Ridgid TS3650 for over 10 years and it's been a solid performer. I understood their jobsite version to be the same saw with a different base and perhaps a smaller table.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2005/10/25/contractor-saw-no-ts3650-review

+1. I've had the TS 3650 as well for about 10+ yrs now and it's been a great saw.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-25-2020, 8:39 AM
My construction company has two of the Dewalts you mentioned and a Bosch jobsite saws plus 3 other bigger saws. We've had most of the other pass through to, and they have been sold because we didn't like them. The Dewalts are really good though, better than anything else. They are tough, accurate, the dust collection actually works pretty well, and they are easy to move. In fact, if there is something being built in the shop and a tablesaw is required, it is common to see that one of the Dewalts is set up instead of using one of the cabinet saws or the slider. Reason is the little things really do work well and they are so easy to move to the lumber instead of the lumber to the saw. We build some beautiful stuff with these saws. Also common to use them on 16 foot stock with a sawhorse set up on in and outfeed side for support. Highly recommended.

Ron Citerone
06-25-2020, 8:52 AM
I have the Dewalt Jobsite saw. I really like it, but haven't really used any other ones latelyto compare. My friend is a builder and says he thinks it's the best for the money.

It's not a cabinet saw, but I am very happy with mine.

My 2 pennies, ron

Jim Becker
06-25-2020, 8:52 AM
From context, you're interested in a portable saw, not a "contractors' style saw" which is larger and heavier.

If I really had to get one of those, it would be the Bosch with the telescoping stand.

Josko Catipovic
06-25-2020, 11:01 AM
'80s vintage Delta. Almost too heavy to be called a contrators' saw, but it's worked flawlessly for years.

Thomas McCurnin
06-25-2020, 11:36 AM
+1 on the Bosch portable table saw. Light weight, accurate, and the base is user-friendly

Brian W Evans
06-25-2020, 6:37 PM
I also had the Bosch 4100 for several years. It was a solid tool and I made some nice things with it. It, with the gravity rise stand, is about $600.

Osvaldo Cristo
06-25-2020, 8:17 PM
Makita contractor table saw 2704 is my choice. It is made in the USA and stays adjusted for years after initial setup. Light and precise. I am plenty glad with it and I recommend it.

bill epstein
06-25-2020, 8:19 PM
From context, you're interested in a portable saw, not a "contractors' style saw" which is larger and heavier.

If I really had to get one of those, it would be the Bosch with the telescoping stand.

That's what I have for home use and my aching back loves the Gravity Rise stand. The fence is dead accurate and the motor surprisingly powerful. A minor drawback for cabinetry is the short arbor, just 3/8" dado's possible with the washer on.

However, if I were still pick-up trucking to job sites, I would eschew any saw with a built-in stand and choose one that a lone person can lift on and off the truck separate from the stand. That would be the DeWalt. The Bosch would be no picnic to push or pull up a ramp, either.

Mike Kees
06-25-2020, 8:31 PM
My favorite contractors saw is a Delta with a Unifence or Biesmeyer fence. My choice for a lightweight jobsite saw would be a Dewalt or possibly the Skil with the wormdrive motor. I just used one of the Milwaukee M18 cordless jobsite saws and it was very impressive. Lots of power,light enough to pick up and move to the work and a blade brake. When you shut it off it stops almost instantly,another benefit of battery technology.

brian zawatsky
06-25-2020, 10:55 PM

Yes you’re correct Jim, I was referring to a portable job site saw, as opposed to a contractor’s saw. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Steve Rozmiarek
06-26-2020, 8:57 AM
That's what I have for home use and my aching back loves the Gravity Rise stand. The fence is dead accurate and the motor surprisingly powerful. A minor drawback for cabinetry is the short arbor, just 3/8" dado's possible with the washer on.

However, if I were still pick-up trucking to job sites, I would eschew any saw with a built-in stand and choose one that a lone person can lift on and off the truck separate from the stand. That would be the DeWalt. The Bosch would be no picnic to push or pull up a ramp, either.

The reason that the Dewalts get picked over the Bosch by us is that while the Bosch stand is pretty cool, the whole saw when folded is bigger and heavier. The Dewalts we have (and the one the OP is referring to) have the built in stand. It's a much simpler design, lighter, and more stable on anything less than a flat floor. The Dewalt fence is also better. Currently our Bosch is down with a switch issue, no body seems very motivated to hurry and fix it.

Bruce Wrenn
06-27-2020, 1:39 PM
The Delta contractor's saws were originally built for use within a new house construction. They were brought in without wings attached, set up in the middle of the largest room, with "down the hall" as an out feed table. Cabinets were built in place, with doors made from plywood, edged using a molding head. A lot of the trim was made with a molding head.Only the "door guy" owned a router. Door jamb stock was made inside the house. In the yard was a BIG DeWalt RAS, used for cutting the framing, esp. the rafters, floor joist, studs. At that time, circular saws weren't common. So any end cuts were made with hand saws. If there was a circular saw on job site it usually was a Skill 77, Rockwell, or B&D Sawcat. I remember the Rockwells having a grease cup on them.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-27-2020, 2:29 PM
The Delta contractor's saws were originally built for use within a new house construction. They were brought in without wings attached, set up in the middle of the largest room, with "down the hall" as an out feed table. Cabinets were built in place, with doors made from plywood, edged using a molding head. A lot of the trim was made with a molding head.Only the "door guy" owned a router. Door jamb stock was made inside the house. In the yard was a BIG DeWalt RAS, used for cutting the framing, esp. the rafters, floor joist, studs. At that time, circular saws weren't common. So any end cuts were made with hand saws. If there was a circular saw on job site it usually was a Skill 77, Rockwell, or B&D Sawcat. I remember the Rockwells having a grease cup on them.

That's a fun walk down memory lane Bruce! I still keep a Skil 77 in my pickup just in case that newfangled stuff quits and a big old Dewalt RAS in the shop ;)

Patrick Walsh
06-27-2020, 2:53 PM
My two cents and I’ve owned them all.

Never had a issue with the rigid contractor or job site saw. Gave it away when I purchased a sawstop job site saw.

Stated with a craftsman job site saw and it was very light and what I’d call a pos. Moved to the rigid.

I never owned but used the old Bosch and the reacts and they are both very nice but large. If you taking your tools in and out everyday or even weekly it’s kinda annoying. Plus space in the van or truck and it’s a bit much. But as far as that class of saw goes it as nice as they get.

Then the little and medium desalts. These are my favorite all considered. I hate dewalt just because I’m a tool nerd and well dewalt is American and ever meat head contractor or homeowner thinks cuz it’s dewalt it must be good. And sadly my attitude aside it’s pretty much true. There is always nicer than dewalt but dewalt tools pretty much always work. Add to that like their airless nailers and they actually get a best in class. The little dewalt is slick. It’s powerful has a nice fence and is small enough to drag up on a roof if your doing a cedar roof or trimming out a dormer or something. It also doesn’t take up much room in the van and it’s not bitch to move around.

The sawstop is by far the nicest of them. I owned one and sold it as I’m done with site work. Kinda lie tattooing your throat you’ll neve get a real job again, sell your site tools and well pretty much the same thing.

The ridged was fine but I think they faded it out. The sawstop is slick but more than I want to deal with. The dewalt is the all a rounder and pretty much a winner regardless of everything else to consider.

If you do the type of work where you setup for a few weeks to a few months to a few years on a job at a time I’d have both the sawstop and the small dewalt.

I should add the Bosch as noted has a fence that kinda sucks. It also has aplastic crap base that under normal construction site use will take a beating. The one I used to use was pretty much I two pieces.

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2020, 10:06 PM
I also have an "older" DELTA ..Generally, extremely good performance.
.I added a riving knife, mobile base, built a sliding panel cutter, added a FOREST WW2 blade etc.
99% of time, performed all tasks well.
The newer ones do not have that same reputation.
Finding one could be difficult...

Neil Gaskin
06-30-2020, 1:08 PM
We have switched over our company to pretty much all SawStop saws for the shop and field work. This was more of a business decision at the time because the added safety feature of the break eliminated potential risk. That said, I really like all of them except the job-site saw. The job-site SawStop is a good saw in every way except the motor is under powered in my opinion.

We added a contractors saw on the mobile base earlier this year. The fence is decent but not as good as the cabinet saws. We went with stamped steel table extensions rather than cast iron to keep it lighter. If you have a trailer one person can load it. If you need to use a truck bed it will take two people to load it.

We're only 6 months in or so, but it sees daily use. So far no one has complained about it.

michael langman
03-03-2021, 10:37 AM
I have a 9" Rockwell contractors saw that was in like new condition when I bought it after getting my house.

I like it because it is a little smaller then the 10" saws table wise and fits nicely in my small shop. Original fence needs checking when adjusting, but is always almost perfectly lined up, and I have a collection of Freud 9" saw blades that will cut most woods. The table is perfectly aligned at 90 and 45 degrees after spending some time with it.

Though heavy, and not as large as the 10" saws, I will regret selling it someday.

And I would buy another if I was a house builder.

Dave Sabo
03-03-2021, 4:55 PM

Yup, what are you really looking for ?

Both the bosch and dewalt give acceptable cuts without much fuss. If you want lightweight, a small footprint, and easily portable - you're gonna have to accept plastic , aluminum , and universal motors. If you're willing to give up weight, size, portability and cost, then a real contractor saw will give you and induction motor with lots of torque, a cast iron table, and a generous size capacity.

Trouble is, those are difficult to find these days, especially new. I believe the only choices now are Delta, SawStop, and Powermatic.

Warren Lake
03-03-2021, 5:17 PM
non

anything less than a general cabinet saw and im out of my witts.

few times I was somewhere with a carpainter saws were painful, under powered, under weight and. Zero patience for waiting for a machine that cant keep up.