PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use "Microsoft Edge" web browser

dennis thompson
06-24-2020, 5:51 AM
I restarted my computer after a widows update and there was a message to try the new "Microsoft Edge". I normally use Chrome. Anyone use Edge? How do you like it?
Thanks

Curt Harms
06-24-2020, 6:50 AM
I don't use either but Microsoft Edge and Chrome have the same 'parent', Chromium (Chromium.org). I try to limit my exposure to things Google but that's just me.

Matt Day
06-24-2020, 8:35 AM
Where’s Lowell?

I have both on my laptop. Prefer Chrome but some random things require Edge.

Jim Becker
06-24-2020, 9:02 AM
The latest versions of Edge are based on Chromium. But I'd still stick to Chrome because that's what I'm invested in across multiple platforms. I only have one Windows box and that's on the CNC, anyway.

Frank Pratt
06-24-2020, 10:09 AM
The last update my computer has included the new Chromium Edge. I'd be tempted to try it, but I hate how MS is always trying to shove Edge down my throat & force me to use it, so I'll stay with Chrome for now.

Jim Tobias
06-24-2020, 11:57 AM
I have the new version of Microsoft Edge and it seems OK so far. It came as an update in Microsoft 365. I do not like Bing at all as a search engine so I have a Google search on my Favorites banner.
I agree with you about Microsoft and EVERY other tech company always pushing their stuff on you....it is a constant.

Jim

Mike Henderson
06-24-2020, 12:02 PM
I've been using Chrome for a good many years now and have it on all my platforms. I like that when I go to any of them, everything is there - my favorites, my history, etc. I'm sure that Edge will do the same but I haven't seen anything that would cause me to switch. Microsoft is too late with Edge. They should have done it years ago.

Mike

Frank Pratt
06-24-2020, 12:44 PM
It seems like MS lost their way years ago with respect to web browsers. Windows 10 came with IE and the older version of Edge, both of which were pretty terrible. But there was no way to select an alternate browser, although that was changed at some point. Now they finally have what looks like a decent browser, but for me it's too late to bother using it.

Lee Schierer
06-24-2020, 2:39 PM
I don't like the intrusiveness of edge wanting access to many areas of my computer. I have the same problem with Apps on my mobile devices that want access to my phone, contacts, files, etc. Why does a Sudoku program need to know who my contacts are and who I talk to. What is it going to do call home if I don't play often enough and it gets lonely?

dennis thompson
06-24-2020, 3:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, I plan to stay with Chrome.

Wade Lippman
06-24-2020, 9:44 PM
The "news" is that Edge is taking advantage of a new Windows development that will make it much faster. Chrome will also do that in the near future.
That's all I know, except I use Chrome because my son thought it hilarious that I used Edge.

Ole Anderson
06-25-2020, 7:21 AM
Would be interesting to turn this into a poll. I use Chrome.

Don Coffman
06-25-2020, 8:31 AM
I'm giving Edge an opportunity due to things I'm reading about Google and their lack of support for our folks in blue. Now after about a week I can say the switch was pleasantly uneventful.

Aaron Rosenthal
06-25-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm the outlier: I use Firefox.
I also had Edge put on after the last update, never bothered with it. I'm forced to use Chrome for one of my applications, on this computer, and Edge on the other one for one application (not the same application), but generally, it's Firefox and Thunderbird for my mail service.

roger wiegand
06-25-2020, 6:10 PM
Another outlier, I use Safari mostly, sometimes Chrome. The browsers seem so similar and so capable these days I haven't found any particular reason to choose one over another. I'm old enough that my instinct is to run from any Microsoft branded browser, but that's a prejudice from quite a while ago.

Donald G. Burns
06-25-2020, 7:58 PM
I have a financial page that won't let me log in with Firefox and so I use Edge for that one. Otherwise, no I don't use it.

Curt Harms
06-26-2020, 7:03 AM
I have a financial page that won't let me log in with Firefox and so I use Edge for that one. Otherwise, no I don't use it.

Donald, what might help with that one page in Firefox is to restart in safe mode. Help -> Restart with Add-ons Disabled. I've always used Firefox as my default browser, they appear to be the only provider that has some concern about my privacy, not making $Billions by selling users information and flinging ads at them.

Bob Grier
06-26-2020, 8:38 AM
I use Firefox because it is what I use. Maybe it has more privacy than others, I couldn't say but it works for me. I have one app that used to use Edge and I think it still does but it is in the background.

This morning I stuffed Internet Explorer back to where it came from. I have Edge on task bar in case I need it for some reason.

Lee DeRaud
06-26-2020, 11:11 AM
I do not like Bing at all as a search engine so I have a Google search on my Favorites banner.^^ This. It just seems odd to me to use Google as the search engine on a non-Google browser when Chrome is available.

Jim Tobias
06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
^^ This. It just seems odd to me to use Google as the search engine on a non-Google browser when Chrome is available.

I got used to google when I was using Chrome all the time and did not like some of the later versions of IE. I now use Microsoft 365 for my laptop and phone(Samsung) and like the compatibility. Tried the latest version of Edge and like it (other than Bing as search engine) so here I am with a combination that I like. It all works fine so no issues.

Jim

Chuck Wintle
06-26-2020, 12:28 PM
I use Firefox because it is what I use. Maybe it has more privacy than others, I couldn't say but it works for me. I have one app that used to use Edge and I think it still does but it is in the background.

This morning I stuffed Internet Explorer back to where it came from. I have Edge on task bar in case I need it for some reason.
I have never used this browser as I am along time Firefox user although FF has some problems. To me its a case of too little and too late by MS to provide an acceptable experience for computer users. :D

John Meyer
06-26-2020, 4:51 PM
So I have a question about Chrome. It has really gotten slow loading web pages and it says it is resolving host. I have looked this up and tried some of the suggestions, but nothing has worked. Really frustrated with how Chrome is working. Any help?
John

Lee DeRaud
06-26-2020, 5:01 PM
So I have a question about Chrome. It has really gotten slow loading web pages and it says it is resolving host. I have looked this up and tried some of the suggestions, but nothing has worked. Really frustrated with how Chrome is working. Any help?
JohnYou on Spectrum by any chance? Their DNS server has gone down multiple times in the last week.

Curt Harms
06-27-2020, 9:18 AM
John

I'm able to select my DNS provider via my router. I find DNS providers other than my ISP seem faster. I run a 3rd party firmware on my router (DD-WRT), I don't know if SOHO router typically provide that capability.

Jim Becker
06-27-2020, 9:23 AM
Curt, most, if not all routers/gateways allow the end user to switch from automatic to manual DNS server entries which in turn, are passed to the devices on the user's network via the DHCP process. Where that's done in the router interface varies with make and model, but it's usually not difficult to do.

The downside with abandoning an ISP DNS is that one doesn't get any benefit from caching of content in the ISP's network for efficiency. The upside might be other things, such as taking advantage of filtering options for families with kids (OpenDNS, for example) that isn't device specific or, perhaps some privacy factors. (real or imagined...)

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2020, 11:24 AM
Curt, most, if not all routers/gateways allow the end user to switch from automatic to manual DNS server entries which in turn, are passed to the devices on the user's network via the DHCP process. Where that's done in the router interface varies with make and model, but it's usually not difficult to do.The Spectrum boxes will let you restrict DHCP to a specific IP range or shut it off completely, but not set the server. I just went full-manual on anything mission-critical, set the primary DNS to Spectrum's default and the secondary to Google's.

(The only reason I even noticed Spectrum's DNS outage is that Netflix in my Blueray player has been stalling intermittently with a DNS error. it doesn't have a secondary DNS entry so I had left it on DHCP.)

Stan Calow
06-27-2020, 12:22 PM
It was the MS change to Edge that converted me to a MAC. I cant provide technical reasons, but it did not seem to provide any additional features useful to me.

Myk Rian
06-27-2020, 2:03 PM
I restarted my computer after a widows update and there was a message to try the new "Microsoft Edge". I normally use Chrome. Anyone use Edge? How do you like it?
Thanks
I got the same thing after installing and using Webex video conference, which turned out to not like my system.
A full screen prompt to install Edge
I'm using win7pro.

Bert Kemp
06-27-2020, 2:29 PM
Firefox for me everything else is awful

Michael J Evans
06-27-2020, 4:42 PM
I used edge for about 3 months, when I got my laptop. The most annoying part about it is it's lack 9f integration with YouTube or Gmail, etc. I would search for a video, it would give me the video, but at all costs avoid me going to YouTube it seemed like. Or when I would try to go to the Google search bar it would send me a alert Everytime saying something along the lines of "edge is faster than Google search"
So while it works, if your used to chrome integration it is annoying.

Jim Becker
06-27-2020, 5:11 PM
The Spectrum boxes will let you restrict DHCP to a specific IP range or shut it off completely, but not set the server. I just went full-manual on anything mission-critical, set the primary DNS to Spectrum's default and the secondary to Google's.

(The only reason I even noticed Spectrum's DNS outage is that Netflix in my Blueray player has been stalling intermittently with a DNS error. it doesn't have a secondary DNS entry so I had left it on DHCP.)

That can sometimes be an issue with an ISP-provided router/gateway since they "doctor" the firmware in some cases to restrict options.

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2020, 5:27 PM
That can sometimes be an issue with an ISP-provided router/gateway since they "doctor" the firmware in some cases to restrict options.Yup. Usually not an issue, since I prefer the full-manual approach for the computers and printers anyway, and (normally) don't care what the other miscellaneous devices end up with.

Under the current circumstances, I may move that BluRay player to the "mission-critical" list. :)

Rollie Meyers
06-29-2020, 1:29 AM
When a computer was "upgraded" to Windows 10 it came with the Edge browser there was something about it not working with most sites so I downloaded Firefox & have never looked back, I won't use Chrome, & almost never use Google as a search engine, prefer DuckDuckGo, or Startpage.

Jim Becker
06-29-2020, 8:31 AM
Rollie, the original Edge was very much like that...terribly dysfunctional. The current version is based on the Chromium engine (same as Google Chrome) and should hopefully be a lot more compatible with the world. Of course, like you, I made my choice long ago and will stick to it as I previously mentioned.

Mark Bolton
06-30-2020, 1:58 PM
Ive been using Edge quite a bit lately. I am really liking the new Windows all around but Ive always been an MS fan and I love change. I love an update when everything is new and different and finding new features and so on. Edge has made the transition super seamless importing everything from Chrome so its honestly hard to tell which browser your in once your up and running. I have been a long time google junkie but am getting a bit leery as of late and never thought I'd peel of Chrome but its happening. That said Ive been dumping them both quite a bit and using Brave and DuckDuckGo as well as playing around with all the other options.

Who knows how wide spread but I think a lot of people out there are getting sick of this corporate BS that we have all be programmed to now believe is just normal.

Bruce Page
06-30-2020, 2:40 PM
It just popped up on my computer. I'm still using Win7 and don't see any advantages using Edge. I deleted it.
I’m another outlier. I’ve been a Firefox user for years and haven’t seen anything that makes me want to change.

Bill Carey
06-30-2020, 4:02 PM
Another fire fox user here. And DDGO. And most of the time thru a vpn. My only contact with google is my gmail account which I use with thunderbird. Long time mozilla user.

Peter Stahl
07-01-2020, 4:54 AM
At work we have to use either Edge or IE. Edge was a pain so I use IE. For my personal use I like FF but it acted up on my home PC so I use Chrome. I should try Fire Fox at home again.

Frank Pratt
07-01-2020, 6:25 PM
At work we have to use either Edge or IE. Edge was a pain so I use IE. For my personal use I like FF but it acted up on my home PC so I use Chrome. I should try Fire Fox at home again.

Give the new Edge, (just released) a try. It uses the Chromium engine & is very similar to Chrome. Much better than the old Edge. I use Chrome & have no reason to change, but if I did I'd switch to edge without hesitation.

Roger Feeley
07-02-2020, 2:28 PM
My son-in-laws neices significant other is an 'ethical hacker' for a Fortune 100 company. He directs a group that invents new ways to break into the corporate networks. They try to get around the hardware, software and people (social hacking). When they get in, they work with the IT security folks to seal the breach. Sometimes it's a hardware problem. Sometimes they just fool someone into giving up a password. For the people problems, they try not to embarrass the victim too much but they look carefully at their training.

My point here is that he is a computer security expert. His preference these days is a browser called Brave.

Mark Bolton
07-08-2020, 2:08 PM
My son-in-laws neices significant other is an 'ethical hacker' for a Fortune 100 company. He directs a group that invents new ways to break into the corporate networks. They try to get around the hardware, software and people (social hacking). When they get in, they work with the IT security folks to seal the breach. Sometimes it's a hardware problem. Sometimes they just fool someone into giving up a password. For the people problems, they try not to embarrass the victim too much but they look carefully at their training.

My point here is that he is a computer security expert. His preference these days is a browser called Brave.

I have brave on all my machines and use it quite a bit. Its perfectly acceptable and gives you the comfort of no tracking, no ad's popping up because of some google string.. Its all a give an take and its all about being smart and vigiant. As you said, most breaches happen because of arbitrary clicking and people no paying attention. My SO did this very thing.. you get people with miles of ad's spam, and so on, that are also online buyers, and eventually someone catches them off guard. No browser will save you from that.

Peter Stahl
07-09-2020, 9:34 AM
My laptop just updated and installed Edge. I use it at work and this newer version is much more friendlier. Going to try it for a while.