PDA

View Full Version : no welcome

richard fisher
12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
i guess i will look for another forum that will welcome me. i will still look here for expert advice.

Mike Cutler
12-29-2005, 12:17 AM
?????
I don't have an explanation for your lack of response, other than it's the holiday. kinda weak eh.
I will say that on this forum it is proper etiquette to use your real name and not internet Id's.
Edit your post to include your real name, and give a little info about yourself. Properly introduce yourself, and things will roll from there.

Take care, and welcome. Give it a chance, no one bites very hard here.;) :D

Allen Bookout
12-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Mike is right. Just follow his advice and you will be very welcome. You must have got a bad start as this is a very friendly place. I have looked at some other forums and seen some really crummy things that you will not find here. I think that the reason is that the moderators really do a good job and everyone appreicates it.

Stick around with your real name and you will like it if you are serious about the subject of woodworking.

Welcome! Allen

sascha gast
12-29-2005, 5:05 AM
Hi there. the guys are right. this is a great forum with great people that have many answers to our questions. We do use our real names here and stay polite. This is where I hang out when I am tired of the "other forum" where it's is common to get ripped apart.
you'd be missing out if you left, just stick with forum rules, very well organized forum.
i love it here

sascha

John Bailey
12-29-2005, 5:54 AM
Wood,

Sorry for the delay. I'm a morning person and I go to bed early. That's not an excuse for last night, because I think I was up when you posted, but I'm not built for that time of day. Anyway, a big "Creeker" welcome to ya'!!

This is the best site around. It's very friendly. We work hard at being friendly and civil. Stick with us and you'll find it's not just friendly, but also has the best woodworking advice there is anywhere.

As far as your name, it's one of those quirky things that make this the site it is.

John

James Boster
12-29-2005, 5:57 AM
welcome to the creek, I noticed the times of your posts and there was only about 20 minutes betwwen them and around midnight. I get up a 4am to go to work so I'm not on late at night. Give it a chance, this is a good group of people on this sight and lots of resource.

Frank Pellow
12-29-2005, 6:00 AM
Wood,
As far as your name, it's one of those quirky things that make this the site it is.

John
Hey John, how can introducing one's self with their real name be considered to be "quirky"? :confused: It's just good manners. :) I consider anything else to be quirky (as well as akward) and I always use my real name no matter what internet site I am using.

John Bailey
12-29-2005, 6:13 AM
Frank,

Yup, you're right on and I stand corrected.:rolleyes:

John

Keith Starosta
12-29-2005, 7:33 AM
Not sure I remember a time since I've registered when there was such an influx of "whinyness", by both new and established members. :rolleyes:

Keith

John Bailey
12-29-2005, 7:36 AM
Keith,

It's called "Persnickity" and it comes with age. You've got a few years to go before you'll fully understand.:D

John

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
12-29-2005, 7:43 AM
Hi Ya WD, sorry for the delay, but I'm working 16 to 18 hours a day right now trying to run our liquor shop here in Japan. I'm usually Busy, but right now I'm so busy that......ah......what was I talking about....?

Oh yeah, stick around, this is a great place and great group of woodworkers, or, you can leave in a huff, I hope you don't, your call.

Cheers & Happy New Years!! :D

Frank Pellow
12-29-2005, 7:50 AM
Persnickity, now there is a great word! Yes, this morning I feal persnickity.

Keith Starosta
12-29-2005, 7:59 AM
Keith,

It's called "Persnickity" and it comes with age. You've got a few years to go before you'll fully understand.:D

John

Thanks for clearing that up for me, John! Although, at 35, I've been known to be a bit crotchety, and as far as I know....I'm outta THAT range, too! :D

Keith

Andy Hoyt
12-29-2005, 8:05 AM
Yeah, but when you add "doddering" to the equation it all becomes very clear.

Robert Mayer
12-29-2005, 8:11 AM
i guess i will look for another forum that will welcome me. i will still look here for expert advice.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out. I suggest taking up cross stitching.

tod evans
12-29-2005, 8:23 AM
joe blow??????? welcome
richard, please let me retract the "joe" moniker and welcome you again...

Maurice Ungaro
12-29-2005, 8:49 AM
Sheesh....life's too short!

Rob Russell
12-29-2005, 8:52 AM
i guess i will look for another forum that will welcome me.

Wood,

I was curious, so I looked at the threads based on your other posts and you have - indeed - had folks say "Welcome to the Creek". They've also reminded you about the forum rules on use of real names.

Rob

Rob Russell
12-29-2005, 8:53 AM

Robert,

That seems to me to be a bit uncalled for, despite the tone of Wood's post. It's not the tone of post I'd expect from a "friendly" forum like SMC.

Rob

Greg Heppeard
12-29-2005, 8:55 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Wood

Thanks for clearing that up for me, John! Although, at 35, I've been known to be a bit crotchety, and as far as I know....I'm outta THAT range, too! :D

Keith

I think persnickity comes at around age 50 and crotchety over 75:D

Aaron Koehl
12-29-2005, 9:06 AM
Not sure I remember a time since I've registered when there was such an influx of "whinyness", by both new and established members. :rolleyes:

Keith
Keith,

They're just growing pains. We get a wave about twice a year--it comes, last a few weeks, and disappears. Just the natural ebb and flow of a forum based on human input. Even so, there's still plenty of woodworking-related material through the fuss! :)

As far as usernames are concerned, we're pretty serious about using real names. Though we can't necessarily verify names, we do tend to notice the obvious ones. These rules are clearly stated and agreed to when registering. Sending me a private message is all that is necessary to get your username changed.

Gary Whitt
12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the site, Mr. Destroyer.

Steve Clardy
12-29-2005, 10:38 AM

:eek: [ Steve. Cleaning coffee off of keyboard and desk]:eek:

Sorry ahead of time, but I thought that was funny:D Just the way I came outa the oven I guess:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Larry Browning
12-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Some people don't want to post their real name anywhere on the Internet. It makes no since to me, but I guess that's just the way some people are. Who knows? Maybe he is somebody famous, or an axe murderer or just a very private person, but for whatever reason, he feels he cannot use his real name. So, since that is one of our rules, he chooses to not be a member. That's ok by me, It doesn't make me mad, (or glad for that matter) it just is. I am sure that he will gain much knowledge and enjoyment from our forum by just reading the posts, and one day he may change his mind and join us, and that would be great.

Lee DeRaud
12-29-2005, 12:01 PM
It's called "Persnickity" and it comes with age.I prefer to phrase it, "in touch with my inner curmudgeon".:cool:
(Or, this time of year, "in touch with my inner grinch".:eek: )

Tony Falotico
12-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Some people don't want to post their real name anywhere on the Internet.

Do a Google search on your name........ you may be surprised. Or, go to the county tax accessors page (if your county has one). Boy will you be surprised. If your a registered professional, contractor, or whatever .. check the state Department of Professional regulations site.... There you are again.

Or, if you've been married, divorced, had a traffic ticket lately, got a judgment, late on child support, been living in jail or worst; check the jail records, county clerks records, state records...............

The Internet is here to stay and you are part of it...... like it or not.

Lee DeRaud
12-29-2005, 1:28 PM
Do a Google search on your name...Of course, the usefulness of that activity will vary wildly, depending on how common your name is: probably get just a few more hits for "Larry Browning" than for "Tony Falotico". (Or "Lee DeRaud" for that matter.:p )

Joseph O'Leary
12-29-2005, 4:22 PM
I'm with Robert on this one. I haven't been around long enough to recognize the cycle that Aaron is referring to. I can say that there has been a lot of nonsense being posted around here. Much of it appears to be intentional. If folks want to play that game go to one of the zillion or so forums on the web where that is welcome. If this guy can't or won't abide by the user rules for using a real name and gets in a huff over not being overly,warmly welcomed then, Don't let the door hit you in the... back of the legs... on the way out!:)

Chris Giles
12-29-2005, 4:23 PM
I think that using such an obviously false name conveys a sense of distrust among the members of this particular site. They may feel you are holding back in your opennness, and do not wish to embrace you as a confidant while you feel this way. I would suggest that if you do not want your real name used here, create a false one that is not quite so "in your face" to our members. It is worth the effort.

Andy Hoyt
12-29-2005, 5:12 PM
I think that using such an obviously false name conveys a sense of distrust among the members of this particular site. They may feel you are holding back in your opennness, and do not wish to embrace you as a confidant while you feel this way. I would suggest that if you do not want your real name used here, create a false one that is not quite so "in your face" to our members. It is worth the effort.

Chris - The trouble is - he wants to be in our face. He's one of the Woodnetters that's getting his jollies by bolloxing us up on these threads. I just went over to that forum and it didn't take too long to get the skinny.

This particular fellow has posted a handful of these messages throughout SMC and each has been responded to with the usual message to contact an admin type to fix the name. Since that has not happened by now, it's my bet it never will.

My reccommendation therefore is for all of us to stop posting on these particular threads and let them wither. The thread should stay readable though, to serve as a reminder about these children

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 5:20 PM
Chris, I don't necessarily agree that a handle necessarily represents distrust. Many folks arrive at SMC from other forums that most, if not all, folks use "Creative" handles. For example, I was a host/moderator at the WOOD Online site for about five years. I can probably count of two hands and two feet the number of folks who used a "real name" in those forums at any one time. The majority of folks coming here and registering with a handle, rather than a real name, do so because they don't know about our community's policy of real names at first. When they do, the moderators generally send them a private message directing them to request the record be changed...and the vast majority cheerfully do so.

Using a real name here is actually pretty safe because the member retains control of how much other information they provide as well as how communications are handled. Your own entry is a good example..."New England" is a pretty big place! The system does not display email addresses, either, which pretty much eliminates abuse of that medium from the forums. And I do agree that one can use a name that is made up but at least appears real...although some folks that I know who have done this found it more cumbersome once they got to know the people who make up the community and started to interact with them more in real life.

Andy makes a good point, too...there is a little extra mishigas going on right now...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2005, 6:08 PM
Andy's right......quit replying ......let it wither........soon the troll's will just be talking amongst themselves..........

(And no Andy....I haven't ordered a lathe yet)

lou sansone
12-29-2005, 6:58 PM
hi jim
what is " mishigas" ?
lou

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2005, 7:19 PM
Lou....just a guess on my part.....mischief

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 7:21 PM
hi jim
what is " mishigas" ?
lou

Ken it it...it's yiddish and "mischief" or "crazyness" applies real well in this particular case.

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2005, 7:51 PM
Ken it it...it's yiddish and "mischief" or "crazyness" applies real well in this particular case.

Well.....there ya go.......Come to SMC and you can even get yourself a ferign language teachin while you is here. This place here just amazes me!!!!:rolleyes: :D

Matt Meiser
12-29-2005, 7:53 PM

I thought it had something to do with greasy lunch.

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 7:57 PM
I thought it had something to do with greasy lunch.
It could, depending on what you happen to do with said lunch...

Now, in Russian, we could say things are duuroga (roll the R)...which my youngest has replaced now with the ever-popular English translation, "Cwayzy..." (usually when she is refering to a doctor or her soon-to-be 1st grade teacher, Mr. Moyer)

(Do notice the new saying I added to the bottom of my signature...good advice, especially in this house)

Steve Clardy
12-29-2005, 7:59 PM
I've lost the original question here.:confused: ;) :)

Greasy lunch.:eek: :D :D

Gary Whitt
12-29-2005, 8:31 PM
Chris - The trouble is - he wants to be in our face. He's one of the Woodnetters that's getting his jollies by bolloxing us up on these threads. I just went over to that forum and it didn't take too long to get the skinny.

Care to clue us in on which Woodnetter?
I've only been a member there for a year and a half (vs 1 3/4 years here) and Woodnetters can't figger out who it is......

Frank Pellow
12-30-2005, 7:51 AM
Now that I have a name I can use in response, wecome to SMC Richard. I hope that you have not been put off by the rocky start,

Ted Shrader
12-30-2005, 9:51 AM
Hi Richard -

Welcome to the Creek. This is a good place to hang out, with lots of knowledgeable folks willing to share. We do have a few rules and they seem to work to everyone's benefit. Thanks for joining in.

Regards,
Ted

Bruce Page
12-30-2005, 5:18 PM
Welcome aboard Richard! If you give this place a shot, I think you will like it. ;)

Joe Mioux
12-30-2005, 8:09 PM
Welcome aboard Richard! If you give this place a shot, I think you will like it. ;)

What Bruce said.

joe