Rick Peek
12-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I am building a built in for a entrance way in my house. It will have
a bench for sitting when putting on shoes, cabinets and coats hooks
on a maple plywood wall over the bench with some figured maple
rails & stiles. I have used some blo with a touch of stain and shellac
to seal. I really like the way it looks right now,but am afriad the
shellac won't be durable enough. The shellac can says not to use
with poly,but I have read that many people do. Whats the scoop ?
Can I poly over it,or should I use varnish ? Any other suggestions ?

Alan Turner
12-29-2005, 5:04 AM
Rick,
Welcome to SMC.

If the shellac is dewaxed, then you should be OK, but if not, then you may/will have a problem with adhesion. If you used premixed shellac, and it was not Zinzer Seal Coat, then it was likely a waxed shellac. My impression is that the Sealcoat is the only premixed shellac that is dewaxed.

John Mihich
12-29-2005, 8:06 AM
You can use lacquer (deft is a good choice) over shellac and it will give you pretty good protection.

Russ Massery
12-29-2005, 9:09 AM
Welcome John, It's nice to have someone close by on the forum.:D

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Rick,

If it was Dewaxed Shellac, you can topcoat with pretty much whatever clearcoat you would like to apply. If it was waxed shellac? The shellac is your finish of choice. I always use dewaxed shellac.:rolleyes: :D

Tim Sproul
12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
water based poly sticks to non-dewaxed shellac. Oil-based poly doesn't do so well.

IME, shellac is quite a durable finish...and the good thing about it is that ease to repair, unlike polyurethane. If you want more durabilty than shellac while maintaining ease in repairability, I'd go with lacquer. What you want is a finish that 'burns in' with previous coats. This property makes for an easily repaired finish.

Howard Acheson
12-29-2005, 2:47 PM
Tim, I think you will find that waterborne finishes have even less adhesion to shellac containing wax than oil based poly.

The general rule is not to overcoat wax containing shellac with any waterborne finish or an oil based poly varnish.

Rick Peek
12-29-2005, 3:49 PM
I used Zinsser clear premixed. I thought that it was dewaxed.
I read it on their web sight. ( I think). Is varnish a good choice?

Rick Peek
12-29-2005, 5:49 PM
Just checked their site agian. Its only their seal that is wax free.

Jim Becker
12-29-2005, 6:05 PM
Rick, you can use an alkyd or phenolic varnish over the shellac you used with no problem, or add an application of de-waxed shellac over the existing shellac if you want to use polyurethane varnish for your finish.

Howard Acheson
12-30-2005, 2:29 PM
As Jim said, you can use a non-poly varnish over the shellac with no problem. While the superior abrasion resistance of a poly varnish will have some benefit in your application, you will lose little if you use a non-poly varnish. Non-poly varnishes are clearer and make a nicer finish too.