PDA

View Full Version : Donations to SMC

dennis thompson
06-20-2020, 11:05 AM
I continually see people with many posts who are not contributors. At only $6/year, I wonder why?:confused:

Bill McNiel
06-20-2020, 12:01 PM
This may provide some perspective https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?260259-Members-and-Contributors&highlight=Bill+McNiel

Charlie Velasquez
06-23-2020, 4:19 PM
I continually see people with many posts who are not contributors. At only $6/year, I wonder why?:confused:

I can’t answer that. And, yes it would be nice if everyone became a contributor.
But, look at your first phrase. For me that is what is the most important. People contribute in different ways. If I have a problem and someone has a solution she/he adds value to the forum. I really don’t care about the problem solver’s contributor status.

It would be nice if those asking for help showed their gratitude by helping the forum financially, but just by being members they add to the overall collective knowledge. Sooner or later that knowledge will be helpful.

I know we have to have some sort of revenue generating plan to keep the lights on. But if people are willing to share knowledge, there is value to the forum even absent a donation.

Stan Calow
06-24-2020, 3:38 PM
Countless hours of education and entertainment, for the cost of one woodworking magazine.

Keith Outten
06-24-2020, 6:16 PM
In the 17+ years that SawMill Creek has been online you will find posts from people here that were once Members and Contributors who have left us for one reason or another. You will also see a number people whose title is "In Memoriam", that have passed away. When their accounts run out of time our software automatically changes their title to Member, the exception is those who have passed away, I assign them a permanent title.

Everyone here contributes in one way or another. Whether you ask a question or answer one, both are valuable and everyone wins. I operated SawMill Creek for almost four years without any advertising support or asking anyone for financial support. The company that owned SawMill Creek paid all of the bills and we operated as a community service. This community grew and grew and grew beyond our wildest dreams in the first few years and when the company that owned SawMill Creek went out of business I announced that I was taking the site down. A huge number of people here asked me to find a way to keep The Creek flowing, at a time when I had just lost my job and my wife was already unemployed because we owned the company that owned The Creek. The decision to keep the lights on here was made by all of you who were here at the time. You decided to send money to pay the bills and I offered to do my best to offset the costs via advertising. This was our decision not mine and I have kept my promise to all of you but I cannot pay the bills here out of my pocket.

Believe me we have weathered a bunch of storms here over the years and we are still here because we all contribute.

Frederick Skelly
06-24-2020, 6:57 PM
Thank you Keith!

Bernie Kopfer
06-24-2020, 10:21 PM
This thread reminded me to “renew” my subscription. But I realized that I do not receive any notice to tell me when the year is up. Or am I missing something?

Keith Outten
06-25-2020, 12:09 PM
Bernie,

If you are a Contributor you will get a notice when your account is down to 30 days. If your account changes to Member you cannot receive messages here so the notice cannot be delivered.

Bruce Wrenn
06-25-2020, 9:01 PM
Keith, You have never replied to my question of more than once. Is SMC a business, co-op or is it a 501-C. That's the reason I was hesitant to send money. There are liability issues associated being in any of them, so I, for one would like to know which SMC is.

Frank Pratt
06-25-2020, 11:28 PM
Keith, You have never replied to my question of more than once. Is SMC a business, co-op or is it a 501-C. That's the reason I was hesitant to send money. There are liability issues associated being in any of them, so I, for one would like to know which SMC is.

I'm scratching my head trying to imagine what kind of horrible thing would happen when I send in my $6.

Steve Fish
06-26-2020, 4:22 AM
I just threw a 20 in when I signed up. I’m not well off but 6$ seemed kinda low when I considered that I would be taking out way more than I could ever put in.

Mel Fulks
06-26-2020, 9:49 AM
I just threw a 20 in when I signed up. I’m not well off but 6$ seemed kinda low when I considered that I would be taking out way more than I could ever put in.

Steve, thanks for helping to keep it going. And for providing early morning content !

Charlie Velasquez
06-26-2020, 9:49 AM

Steve, thank you.

Keith Outten
06-26-2020, 5:35 PM
Bruce,

SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums are owned by Northwind Associates Inc which is a privately owned company. It has to be this way because The Creek is a serious legal risk, being owned by a corporation protects my personal assets. There is a lot more to being responsible for an online forum than most people know. A good portion of the 6 dollar donation people contribute here goes to state and federal taxes after PayPal gets their piece of the pie upfront. Thankfully most donations are in the 2 to 5 dollars per month.

The Freedom Pens Project belongs to me, it is a 501.C3 non-profit organization providing free custom handwriting pens to our servicemen and women in the Middle East.

Bruce Wrenn
06-26-2020, 9:33 PM
Kieth, thanks for taking the time to explain business model for SMC. I know about the liabilities of not being a corporation.

Keith Outten
06-27-2020, 7:03 AM
Thanks everyone for helping out, I don't say this enough but I am always appreciative of every donation whether it is financial or your participation.

Mark Gibney
06-27-2020, 12:37 PM
Keith thanks for keeping SMC going. I use the forum to ask questions I can’t find answers to elsewhere and I don’t know if I’ve ever been disappointed.
I’m glad to hear most contribute at the $25 - $60 a year range, would $6 even buy a six pack of beers?

Lisa Starr
06-27-2020, 1:06 PM
I've been a contributor for several years, but recently sold a fair amount of stuff on the classified section. I considered what it would have cost to sell the items on the auction site or elsewhere and then donated 50% of that amount to SMC as an extra contribution. I figure everyone won. Maybe others could consider something similar?

Bob Jones 5443
06-29-2020, 2:44 AM
A few weeks after I discovered SMC, I was running into trouble with my jointer. I turned to the Creek and described my problem. Three or four folks chimed in with different facets of the absolute correct solution. I made the change: since then the problem is gone. I learned a simple but crucial lesson in jointer setup that for some reason I never knew, but that will now stay with me.

Was that worth six bucks?

I think everyone here would agree that life without Sawmill Creek Forum would be poorer indeed. I will count on Keith to let us all know well before we ever get close to the point of no return.

Charles McKinley
11-28-2020, 5:37 PM
Where is the contribute/donate button? I haven’t been here for several years. Even if I don’t get active again now I want to ensure the Creek is still here as a safe, friendly and knowledgeable place.

Thank you Keith and all who help out!

Chuck McKinley

Charles McKinley
11-28-2020, 5:42 PM
I found the donate button. This it the first time here on a phone.��

Jim Matthews
11-28-2020, 6:25 PM
Those of us successful in selling in the classified section should consider a "tithe" to SMC from the proceeds.

Keith Outten
11-29-2020, 11:50 AM
The Donate button is on the blue menu bar at the top of every page.
If you see the Red "Friends of the Creek" button look to the left for the yellow "Donate" button.

Thanks again everyone!

Rick Potter
12-05-2020, 3:50 PM
I have said it before, but I ask a lot of off topic questions, and have always gotten good answers. So.....not always just woodworking. I do not participate in any 'social media websites'.

My favorite question was when I asked if WWI German submarines had an outside steering wheel. Short answer....yes. I had read about it in a novel, and it just sounded 'fishy' .

Thanks, Keith.

lowell holmes
12-05-2020, 6:37 PM
I was a member for years and never thought about it, but then I realized that I need to carry my own weight and became a contributor.