PDA

View Full Version : Tip: paint remover tub you already own

Bill Dufour
06-19-2020, 11:19 PM
I needed to soak and remove some paint from a piece of cast iron too long to fit in the plastic tub I have used before to soak things. I realized that I have a cheap plastic tool box just long enough fit the part inside. I was using this box for firewood and hatchet etc for camping. I emptied it out, rinsed it and used it to soak the cast iron in paint remover. It worked fine then I rinsed it out and put the stuff back in the box. No metal at all on the inside since it had a lift out tray.
Bill D.

Jim Becker
06-20-2020, 9:00 AM
The one obvious caveat is that whatever solvent you are using can't be something that will dissolve or weaken the container you are using...that could be really messy!

Bill Dufour
06-20-2020, 5:09 PM
The one obvious caveat is that whatever solvent you are using can't be something that will dissolve or weaken the container you are using...that could be really messy!

I was using a water based stripper so no problems. I gave away an old wallpaper trough I used to have, to be used for flowers.

Jim Becker
06-20-2020, 8:48 PM
Oh, I believe you were using compatible stuff...but it still needed to be mentioned so that in the year 2039 when this thread is resurrected as necro-thread, someone doesn't end up with a steaming, nasty puddle of plastic and solvent. :) :D

Bill Dufour
06-21-2020, 11:51 PM
I do have a nice seamless aluminum tool box that I knew not to use since strippers are caustic.
Bill D