PDA

View Full Version : Tideway Router bits

Jim Allen
06-19-2020, 2:36 PM
Anyone have any experience with Tideway Router bits? Specifically I'm looking for a 45° chamfer bit with a depth of cut over 1/2", found some on Ebay but am suspicious of the price.

Stewart Lang
06-19-2020, 2:44 PM
You get what you pay for with router bits most of the time. However sometimes if it's an easy wood or cut, sometimes you can get away with a cheaper bit. If it's a bit you're going to use on multiple occasions though, stick to a high quality brand, like Whiteside or Amana.

I will say though, their reviews on Amazon are almost all 4.5/5, so I'd actually be tempted to say these might actually be a up-and-coming brand with some good quality in them. Give it a shot and let us know.

Brian Tymchak
06-19-2020, 3:09 PM
http://tctrouterbit.btrworlds.com/

Chinese company if that makes any difference for you. Personally, this is the first time I've heard the brand, so at that prices I'm automatically suspicious of quality of steel, carbide, etc.

Jim Allen
06-19-2020, 3:21 PM
Thanks guys for your responses, for the price, and it's for a one time project, I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

Andy D Jones
06-19-2020, 3:48 PM
Never heard of them. Looked 'em up, but couldn't find a site for the company, just online vendors hawking them.

Those are about the thinnest, cheapest looking router bits I've ever seen.

Low mass means prone to chatter, and rough cut surface.

Or worse, the cheap bearing blows up and ruins your work piece.

I wouldn't risk it.

Is it possible to use a straight bit you already have, with an angled sled or fixture?

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Lee Schierer
06-19-2020, 4:43 PM
Anyone have any experience with Tideway Router bits? Specifically I'm looking for a 45° chamfer bit with a depth of cut over 1/2", found some on Ebay but am suspicious of the price.

Check our routerbitworld.com for some quality bits that match what you need.

glenn bradley
06-19-2020, 5:11 PM
Thanks guys for your responses, for the price, and it's for a one time project, I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

That was going to be my question. If it is a one shot project, go for it. inexpensive items are great for one shot deals. If I were looking for a bit and wanted to get the most bang for my money I would look at white side.

Stan Calow
06-19-2020, 9:10 PM
My first go-to for router bits is Eagle-America, especially if I'm looking for something with specific specs. They offer two product lines: the made in USA line, and the MLCS (China) line for less.

Eric Arnsdorff
06-19-2020, 10:30 PM
I'm not familiar with Tideway. However, Infinity Tools has a selection of 45 deg chamfer bits including their Mega Chamfer Router Bit which is well over 1/2" depth of cut (2-9/16" diameter).

Jim Becker
06-20-2020, 9:04 AM
Give you are planning on chamfering to a pretty good depth, know that this process does require some oomph to accomplish unless you do it in multiple passes. A better cutter that's sharper might be a more worthy choice here and since a 45º chamfer is an often used profile a nice one in your tooling collection is worth considering. Mine is a Jessada...which morphed into Infinity I believe a long time ago.

Frederick Skelly
06-20-2020, 9:16 AM
Dont recognize Tideway. I use Freud Quadricuts or Infinity. They both work well for me.

Stan Calow
06-20-2020, 9:53 AM
I looked on eBay and if they're the same ones we're talking about, a Tideway 45 degree chamfer bit is around $5 for 1/4" and $12 for 1/2". Whoa. That's hard to beat, or trust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tideway-0203-Chamfer-45-Router-Bit-1-2-shank-1-1-2in-diameter-NEW/114190865217?hash=item1a964e5341:g:9esAAOSwgy1emfU W

Alan Schwabacher
06-20-2020, 4:26 PM
Some of the low priced Chinese bits are probably fine, but some are likely not: the problem is distinguishing them.

MLCS has been around long enough to have a reputation, and now also owns Eagle America. Looking for an inexpensive bit for limited use, I'd check MLCS first. They do have a variety of chamfer bits.

Matt larkinson
07-11-2020, 11:38 PM
I have been using tideway router bits for over a year now and so far I am pretty happy with them. They cut nicely and are less expensive then most other brands. I find that ebay has the best selection and price on them currently.

Curt Harms
07-12-2020, 9:24 AM
Some of the low priced Chinese bits are probably fine, but some are likely not: the problem is distinguishing them.

MLCS has been around long enough to have a reputation, and now also owns Eagle America. Looking for an inexpensive bit for limited use, I'd check MLCS first. They do have a variety of chamfer bits.

I have quite a few MLCS bits. I only live about an hour from their showroom and used to drive past it a few times a week. They used to sell bits that they pulled from a batch to spot check them. I have some bits that were $10+ that I paid around $4 in new condition. It seems like their Katana bits might be ground to a finer finish, don't know if there are any other differences.

Ben Zara
07-12-2020, 1:12 PM
For budget bits, I have had good luck with Yonico.

Matt larkinson
07-12-2020, 2:50 PM
Yeah I used Yonico since they came out and only had about 40 styles to choose from back then. You could also only buy them on eBay I think or that is where I found them. A few people called them crap bits back then, but I defended that brand back in the day. It is nice that they took off. Tideway is still a new brand and hopefully they also grow. I like how they half the price of Yonico and perform just as good in my opinion.