PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing wood for project.

Greg Fairweather
06-19-2020, 2:08 PM
I am planning on building a side table like the one attached from maple (curly?) and purpleheart. I would like suggestions as to which species would look best for each part. I feel that purpleheart would look best on the legs and the drawer facing with maple for the box. I do next to no furniture building so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Greg435301

Frank Pratt
06-19-2020, 5:56 PM
Be aware that purple heard does not retain its color and will turn a not very attractive brown in time.

Jim Becker
06-19-2020, 5:59 PM
I would likely use a single species for that particular design/type of piece as shown in the photo. Franks is correct that over time, purpleheart is no longer purple. That said, my nightstands are purpleheart with curly maple top and drawer front and the combination looks quite nice, even as the purple is less purple over time. Do be aware that working purpleheart is a thankless task when it comes to splinters!

Andrew Hughes
06-19-2020, 7:21 PM
That piece would look nice in Walnut.

Jim Becker
06-19-2020, 9:03 PM
That piece would look nice in Walnut.

I agree...and it's kinda traditional for that style, too, AFAIK.

Stan Calow
06-19-2020, 9:15 PM
If you're determined to use maple, I would suggest plain maple. Its the color contrast you want, not the competing grains, I think. The design is too clean and simple to distract with the wild figure of curly maple. But my first gut reaction was Ash.

Prashun Patel
06-19-2020, 10:34 PM
Purpleheart is also a splintery, difficult wood to work with.

I’d make it out of a single wood. Maple is a good choice.

Greg Fairweather
06-20-2020, 8:15 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I will talk to the client regarding suggestions.

Jim Becker
06-20-2020, 8:48 AM
If you're determined to use maple, I would suggest plain maple. Its the color contrast you want, not the competing grains, I think. The design is too clean and simple to distract with the wild figure of curly maple. But my first gut reaction was Ash.

Alternatively, plain maple overall with figured maple on the drawer front would work very nicely.

Tom Bender
06-22-2020, 7:47 AM
I agree with Jim and others, a single simple wood will be good. If you try to do too much (two colors and bold grain) in a small piece it will need more pieces the same to make a room hang together. What else will be in the room with it? Be compatible with that.

John Jardin
06-22-2020, 5:21 PM
Greg,
I urge you to read the definitive FWW article by Garrett Hack on contrasting woods. His examples demonstrate the basis for selecting the correct combinations.

Greg Fairweather
06-23-2020, 5:08 AM
Thanks to all for the sage advice. The client has agreed to do the project in walnut.

Will Blick
07-01-2020, 10:51 AM
anyone know which issue of FWW the Hack article is?
or any other good references for combining complimentary woods?
I agree with previous posters, sometimes combining woods can overwhelm a piece
but other times, it completely makes the piece...
I never found a good resource for which woods compliment each other well...

glenn bradley
07-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Possibly this one (https://www.finewoodworking.com/2010/02/11/the-right-way-to-use-contrast)?