PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF

John Hart
12-28-2005, 9:37 PM
Inspired by Sparky, I dug through the firewood pile and found this piece of maple and gave it a go. This was hollowed completely with the Sorby from my secret santa. I got a lot more comfortable but the wall thickness is still not as even as I would like. This is 9.5" Diameter and 5" High...finished with the new stuff...but I still have some work left there. Just got excited and wanted to post it. Thanks for looking!!

Before...With a big ol' tenon and a 6" faceplate

Turned the Cylinder

Final

Mark Singer
12-28-2005, 9:42 PM
John,
Great work! I love the form!

Sparky Paessler
12-28-2005, 9:45 PM
That's some good looking firewood you got there.:D Looks great! love the shape. Glad I was able to inspire you. Now I need to get busy and do some more myself. (maybe for me this time!) :)

Corey Hallagan
12-28-2005, 9:49 PM
Just plain kewl John!!

corey

Mark Cothren
12-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Nice one John! Great piece of wood and a nice pictorial!

Dick Parr
12-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Very nice John, Sparky did light a fire.:) Did you make another bowl from the tenon when you were done with HF?:rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
12-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Dang John! Here I am going smaller and smaller and you are going bigger and bigger!:D:D:D Nice form! How long did it take you to hog that baby out?

Bill Stevener
12-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Very nice John, sure has a lot of caricature.

Ernie Nyvall
12-28-2005, 11:15 PM
That's a wonderful piece John.

You people and your maple firewood piles... just shameful.;)

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
John - She's a beauty all right. But why the monstrous tenon? Was it all you had? Seems as though you'd have some exaggerated eccentricity issues.

Gary DeWitt
12-29-2005, 12:44 AM
If you weren't a whole continent away, I'd gladly come over with an equal amount of unturnable firewood and trade you for what you got. That's a real nice HF there, John.

Ed Scolforo
12-29-2005, 6:05 AM
John: That's a beautiful piece of wood. The form is great!
Ed

John Hart
12-29-2005, 6:13 AM
First off....Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I'm glad I didn't blow this one up. Now I just gotta get over the fear factor and get that wall thin and even.

Very nice John, Sparky did light a fire.:) Did you make another bowl from the tenon when you were done with HF?:rolleyes:

Nope...not yet. The tenon is still on the faceplate though and I think it should turn into something! (It's got some nice burl in it, and it's time for something smaller :) )

Nice form! How long did it take you to hog that baby out?

This took me two evenings(Tuesday and Wednesday after work). The first night, I got it shaped and halfway hollowed. Then I took it off and bagged it in a bunch of shavings. Finished it off the second night. (probably 8 hours total)

.....But why the monstrous tenon? Was it all you had? Seems as though you'd have some exaggerated eccentricity issues.

I knew that I would have a lot of work to do from the headstock side so I wanted to give myself some room. I just made sure I had good concentricity and squareness during my resaw and glue-up. Surprisingly, it was well-balanced when I started it up.

If you weren't a whole continent away, I'd gladly come over with an equal amount of unturnable firewood and trade you for what you got. That's a real nice HF there, John.

You should send me your address!;)

Thanks again everyone!

Glenn Hodges
12-29-2005, 8:48 AM
John, the form on this one is super. I like the shoulder, the curve, and the lip. I can see why you are excited. Thanks for showing it to us.

Mike Forsman
12-29-2005, 9:44 AM
John,

I like it, it is very nice.

Larry Browning
12-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Being a flat guy and all, I can't for the life of me figure out what "HF" means. I am pretty sure you are not talking about Harbor Freight. Maybe Hollow Form?

John Hart
12-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Being a flat guy and all, I can't for the life of me figure out what "HF" means. I am pretty sure you are not talking about Harbor Freight. Maybe Hollow Form?

Yup...Hollow Form...sorry Larry....just laziness I reckon! Too many acronyms in our lives eh? :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-29-2005, 10:31 AM

Different for different people... for John it would be HighFalutin and for others, Hollow Form.:D :D

Ernie

Keith Burns
12-29-2005, 11:16 AM
John, your talent continues to amaze me. This is one great looking piece, form, finish and details are spot on.:) :) .

John Hart
12-29-2005, 9:25 PM
Y'all are just too kind.....really.
I did go ahead and turn the tenon tonight The screws went a little deeper than I estimated so I ended up with little holes in the bottom. I think I'll dress this up a little and keep it anyway. It can hold screws and stuff. :D

Mike Ramsey
12-30-2005, 8:25 PM
Bravo John!! Good lookng HF. Like the before and after pics....