PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding between the Kreg or Grizzly 14" bandsaw fence

Gabriel Garcia
06-19-2020, 1:08 PM
I was just about to pull the trigger on the Kreg KMS7200 bandsaw fence, but then I saw that the Grizzly H7587 resaw fence beat the Kreg in a Fine Woodworking article tool test.

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/pdf/fw_bdswfnc_11-12.pdf

There is a price difference of about $40 more for the Grizzly. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the Grizzly? I don't have the opportunity to play with either one since no one locally has them in stock, so I'll be strictly going off reviews. I'm sure either will fit the bill for what I'm doing, but just want to get some opinions before I make the purchase.

Thanks!

Brian Tymchak
06-19-2020, 2:43 PM
Make sure each fence works with your blade slot (parallel vs perpendicular to fence) in the table. There was a post here on SMC in the last year or so by someone who bought the Kreg fence and found it incompatible with his table.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?274859-Kreg-bandsaw-fence-table-slot-conflict

Gabriel Garcia
06-19-2020, 3:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up Brian. It's going on an older Delta USA 14", so both should work.

Alex Zeller
06-19-2020, 4:04 PM
My Grizzly bandsaw came with that style fence an the main thing I don't like about it is the black locking handle is in the wrong spot. When released it's tilted up and in the way of any wood you have up against the fence. So if you have a board with a mark on it and you want to line it up with the blade it will hit the handle when in the release position. I, like others, made an adapter that changes the angle of the handle so it's not in the way.

glenn bradley
06-19-2020, 4:18 PM
This must be a banner day. This will be the third time I have posted this simple fix . . . TODAY!?! Must be something in the water.

Remove the handle.

Drill, Forstner and chisel a piece of hardwood scrap and dig up a bolt and washer.

This is the locked position.

This is the unlocked position. You can adjust the fence without any interference.

I've had it this way for so long I forget about it until one of these threads comes along. This is the third one today.

Orlando Gonzalez
06-19-2020, 4:35 PM
I have the 7587 on my 14" Grizzly G0555LX and it works well. A few things though. First, is what Alex alluded to but what Glenn fixed, which is what I'm going to do. Second, if you are planning on keeping it upright all the time, I had to replace the socket cap screw on the left side of the upper blade guide casting with a set screw because the fence would butt up against it and not allow for thin width cuts. Third, if you lay it on its side you have the potential to lose some width in the material you can cut. Other than that it's a fine fence.

Alex Zeller
06-19-2020, 5:59 PM
This must be a banner day. This will be the third time I have posted this simple fix . . . TODAY!?! Must be something in the water.

Remove the handle.

Drill, Forstner and chisel a piece of hardwood scrap and dig up a bolt and washer.

This is the locked position.

This is the unlocked position. You can adjust the fence without any interference.

I've had it this way for so long I forget about it until one of these threads comes along. This is the third one today.

I was hoping you would post your pictures of the fix. I think you were the one who inspired me to do a very similar fix.

Tony Joyce
06-19-2020, 6:45 PM
It's going on an older Delta USA 14", so both should work.

The Kreg will definitely work on the older Delta 14" saw(mine has Hex guide post). I looked at the Kreg for a long time and one day it came up on Amazon for $60.00 so I pulled the trigger. So far so good.