PDA

View Full Version : Another magazine thread

Rick Potter
06-17-2020, 12:16 PM
I have been a magazine hoarder all my life, and have mags back to the late 50's.

Woodworking magazines from the 80's, Pop Sci and Pop Mech from the 60's, car mags from the early 60's,etc. I quit saving them about 10 years ago, except for a couple WW mags. I have about 75 boxes with about 100 mags in each.

I am at the point, where I realize I will never use them, and no one wants them. Tried the usual places like thrift stores, even tried rest homes to no avail. Found one guy who tears old ads out, frames them and sells them, but he was loaded up already.

I hate to throw away history.

Any suggestions?

PS: The wife also has sewing, craft, decorating, scrap booking, etc. in large amounts.

Frederick Skelly
06-17-2020, 12:33 PM
Hi Rick,
Sometimes you can adverize things as free on craigs list and other places. You could do that rather than recycle. I mean, if someone has room to store or sell them, you might rather that happen than recycling them. Just one idea, anyway.
Fred

Bernie Kopfer
06-17-2020, 12:38 PM
What a horrible dilemma. Ask yourself this, “ when I pass on what will my kids do with these mags ?” Quite possibly say thanks for at least putting them in boxes so they will be easy to recycle, and confirm your village idiot status for having kept them. ( just kidding) It is hard but recycling might be your best option.

Jim Koepke
06-17-2020, 1:13 PM
This is also a problem for me. My brother buys and sells estate sale finds. Recently he purchased a bunch of Fine Woodworking Magazines and offered to send me the ones not already in my library. That was going to take some time to inventory, so he just sent me the first few years worth because that is where most of the holes are in my set.

So when my next medical or dental appointment comes up a few of the duplicates will come along and be left behind. If no one takes them home with them they will likely be recycled along with other items.

jtk

Frank Pratt
06-17-2020, 1:55 PM
I had that problem with about 15 years worth of FWW. Just couldn't even give them away. I finally got my son to take them off my hands, but he recycled them a year later. Sure was nice to have them gone.

Lee Schierer
06-17-2020, 2:33 PM
So when my next medical or dental appointment comes up a few of the duplicates will come along and be left behind. If no one takes them home with them they will likely be recycled along with other items.

jtk

I really like that idea.

Jim Allen
06-17-2020, 2:56 PM
Another option, which is what I did 5 years ago, is to donate the to a library.

Mel Fulks
06-17-2020, 3:45 PM
Keep some in the car trunk. Along with some pee- cans. If you are ever in a traffic wreck it will help quiet the enraged mob. And it's a good way to meet new friends.

Tom M King
06-17-2020, 5:16 PM
After our kids were grown, and gone, I turned one of the bedrooms into a library.

Aaron Rosenthal
06-17-2020, 10:05 PM
I ran into the same problem with Fine Homebuilding, National Geographic, Hot Rod, and now, both FWW & Road Rider.
Nobody wants them not even the thrift or ReStore places.
Shredded.

Tim Tibbetts
06-17-2020, 10:33 PM
If you are a member of a woodworking club (or have one in your area), take a few boxes to a meeting with a big FREE sign on them. I got rid of decades worth of Fines Woodworking, Fine Homebuilding, Woodsmith, etc. that way...

Rick Potter
06-18-2020, 4:07 AM
Actually I took some to a doctors office, but made up for it by taking some when our small WW club was unloading their library.

I had planned to go through some, looking for new car ads for all the cars I have owned (120 or so), to make a scrapbook. Decided I could just get pics from the interweb.

I will probably put them for free on craig list. Some people will take anything, and maybe some will end up being useful, rather than trashed. I will call the local library, but I bet they will laugh at me.

I will find it much easier to unload all my wife's mags, until she catches me.

I already knew what answers I would get, but had to give it a try.

Jim Koepke
06-18-2020, 6:09 PM

jtk

I really like that idea.

It seemed like a good idea. Today on a visit to my local care provider the whole scene has changed. To make a long story short due to germs there are no more magazines at the hospital. Well, at least there was something to read even though the cover barely got cracked before they called my name.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go agackly.

jtk

Dave Lehnert
06-18-2020, 8:05 PM
Another option, which is what I did 5 years ago, is to donate the to a library.

I second this idea. Around here they sell them at a book sale so often during the year to raise money for the Library.

Wade Lippman
06-24-2020, 9:46 PM
I just bought 100 old FWW for $20. Odds are someone will buy them if you put them on CL.

Frank Pratt
06-25-2020, 9:44 AM
I just bought 100 old FWW for $20. Odds are someone will buy them if you put them on CL.

Odds are nobody will buy them. You MIGHT get lucky & find someone to buy them.

Mark Gibney
06-26-2020, 4:17 PM
I have heard that prison inmates can be very appreciative of good and varied reading material.
I have no idea how to go about finding a jail or prison to donate to however.

Keith Outten
06-26-2020, 5:19 PM
Over the last two years when I have been in medical facilities everyone was looking at their cell phones while they were waiting. It's been rare to see any magazines in waiting areas.

Roger Feeley
07-02-2020, 2:22 PM
My wife got sick of all the magazines so she made me a deal. I gave up the hard copies and she replaced them with the dvds. Now I have something that's searchable. I can print something if I want. I still subscribe to FWW so the deal includes a new dvd every other year at Christmas. She also gets me Fine Homebuilding and Wood.

I imagine that FWW and Fine Home Building would be fairly popular with the doctor/dentist/barber. It can be light reading whether someone intends to do this stuff or not. Pictures are nice.