PDA

View Full Version : Spindle/Belt Sander for small round parts?

bill epstein
06-16-2020, 12:32 PM
I'm looking at the several machines of this type and approx. $300 price, Rigid, Shop Fox, Grizzly, etc.

My current need is to make a batch of small round (1 3/4") wheels and it looks as though only the Shop Fox has channels for a pin I can use to register the wheels against the spindle. The belt would simply be a plus.

Anyone using the Shop Fox or others for that task?

Michelle Rich
06-16-2020, 3:21 PM
no, never used that sander. But you can use any with an accessory ply table and put a pin in it. Just clamp it to your table.

glenn bradley
06-16-2020, 3:49 PM
If you're talking about the miter slot, the Ridgid 4424 also has this. The shop Fox looks nice too but, the Ridgid has the Lifetime Service Agreement. I worked mine hard for years. It developed a shimmy. They kept the table and housing and slid a brand new motor and mechanism into it, no charge. The Ridgid table is some sort of casting but, it is made to be portable and only weighs in at 40 lbs. I kept mine on a shelf in a cabinet and brought it out when I needed it. Dad uses it now and it lives on one side of a flip top table.

johnny means
06-16-2020, 5:09 PM
I use a 12" Delta Disc sander for these types operations. The adhesive backed paper and machined disc seem ao much more precise than a fluttering belt.

andy bessette
06-17-2020, 11:36 AM
A spindle sander would be useless for fabricating wheels as it is designed to sand an inside radius. A stationary belt/disc sander might be helpful, though I think a lathe would be much better suited.

Steve Fish
06-17-2020, 2:29 PM
Can you mount them on a bolt and chuck it in a drill press? All you need then is a couple sanding blocks. I wouldn’t try it with bigger parts.

Rod Wolfy
06-17-2020, 10:44 PM
I've had an $800 belt/drum sander and a $700 oscillating spindle sander. Neither got much use, so I sold them.

If you're trying to do an outside radius of a wheel, a belt or drum sander will work, but they are likely to leave a flat spot if you're not careful.

I like spindle sanders. The Rigid one actually also has a belt sander for about $250. There are a lot of users and good reviews on it. For my rare use anymore, I use a belt sander or my $100 Wen spindle sander.

Joe Hendershott
06-18-2020, 7:14 AM
When I need to do an outside curve I use a couple of soft backing pads on the Festool. You can stack a couple up to get a really soft back that conforms to the curve. Might want to check into that.