PDA

View Full Version : Finished Bed

Matt Meiser
12-28-2005, 8:08 PM
I finished my daughters bed in time to give it to her for Christmas. We had her aunts distract her while my brother, my wife, and I took apart her "baby bed" and put together her "big girl bed" on Christmas Eve. She spent the next hour in her room trying to get the dog up there.

John Towns
12-28-2005, 8:26 PM
Matt,
Very nice bed. Your daughter will charish your work for many years, no doubt. Did you make the nightstand as well?

Is this maple? What finish did you use on this?

John

Matt Meiser
12-28-2005, 8:32 PM
Yes I made the night stand as well. This is its first public appearance as a finished piece as well, just forgot to mention it. Both pieces are maple finished with satin Minwax Wipe-On Poly.

Jim W. White
12-28-2005, 8:38 PM
Matt,

Those two peices look awesome!! :eek: ...I'm sure your daughter was elated!

Nice work!

...Jim in Idaho

John A. Williams
12-28-2005, 8:50 PM
Matt, that is really beautiful work! Is there a footboard also? Is it your own design? Does it disassemble for moving?
How is your hand injury coming along? Did you have a hard time getting back into the shop?
John

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2005, 8:51 PM
You have a VERY LUCKY daughter!

Great Work!

Bruce

Jim Young
12-28-2005, 9:18 PM
Yep, that's the best part of woodworking for me, the kiddies. I've made both kids a bed and they both love their beds.

Peter Pedisich
12-28-2005, 9:24 PM
Matt, The bed turned out great! I really like the light color, stands out nice with the colors in the room

Pete

Matt Meiser
12-28-2005, 9:30 PM
Matt, that is really beautiful work! Is there a footboard also? Is it your own design? Does it disassemble for moving?
How is your hand injury coming along? Did you have a hard time getting back into the shop?
John

I did make the footboard. It has Rockler's bed hardware to make dissassembly easy. The design was derived from one by David Marks.

My finger is doing pretty good. I'm back to 10 finger typing and I don't wear the guard any more, though that has caused me pain a few times because I hit it on things. I still have to wear a bandage to keep it clean and probably will for a while. I think the drive to get this project done made getting back to the shop a little easier.

Corey Hallagan
12-28-2005, 9:40 PM
Excellent Matt! It looks great!

Corey

Jim Becker
12-28-2005, 10:04 PM
That's really beautiful, Matt. Your daughter is a very lucky girl!

Roy Wall
12-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Looks great Matt! Nice joinery.............

The best part is how it will be handed down to your "daughters - daughter" someday!!!:)

Matt Meiser
12-28-2005, 10:09 PM
BTW, the HOT PINK walls go in a couple weeks! I can't wait to get rid of them after 2 years of living in this house.

Matt Crew
12-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Beautiful work Matt. I bet it brings her many wonderful dreams in her slumber.
Glad to hear your finger is doing well. Keep up the good work.

Vaughn McMillan
12-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Very nice pieces, Matt. The maple looks beautiful, and you did a great job with it. Good to hear about the walls, though. I was thinking a nice lime green would go well with the new furniture. :D

- Vaughn

Dick Parr
12-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Very nice job Matt, it looks great.

richard fisher
12-28-2005, 10:35 PM
i am new to this forum. i have been looking at this forum for months and am impressed with the knowledge about woodworking that is displayed here. i have learned a lot about woodworing here. i look forward to all the woodworking tips i can get.

Steve Stube
12-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Wood Destroyer,

i have been looking at this forum for months

Then you know as per TOS we use our real names here at SMC.

Welcome to SawMillCreek and unless Wood Destroyer is your real name you may want to make some corrections to your registration.

Oops! Matt, I became sidetracked, sorry. I like the bed (read, beautiful) and it marks the transition to the Big Peoples bed so has special meaning for the little one.