PDA

View Full Version : Job site saw table saw top material?

Jacob Mattingley
06-16-2020, 12:01 AM
What material is a job site table saw typically made from? Is it steel (or aluminum? but probably too costly) that is powder coated, or is it some kind of high-density resin? Interested in specifics, but obviously a beginner question about this tool. I am especially interested in the SawStop job site saw, but more generally interested too.

Regardless of the material, follow-up question: how well do they typically wear, and do they stay flat if treated well and reasonable quality?

Dave Sabo
06-16-2020, 12:33 AM
Most or all are aluminum. Some are painted, some milled, and some powdercoated or a similar textured coating.

My my limited experience is they stay flat enough, especially for jobsite work. The coated tops will show wear in the coating after a while, especially if cutting anything but s4s. Never know it to affect the cut.

It's a reasonable question , but not one you should really lose any sleep over. If you really want or need a long wearing and flat table , you'll have to get a cast iron saw. Be prepared to have it machined too as they are rarely (or never) absolutely flat either.