PDA

View Full Version : Band saw box sanding question

Ron Jones near Indy
12-28-2005, 8:08 PM
I am interested in making band saw boxes. Thanks to MIL, I received Ventura’s book on making band saw boxes for Christmas and have read it.:) It indicates I need a 6” sanding belt. I don’t have one and don’t see one coming in the near future.:( I do have a Jet OSS and a 12” disk on my ShopSmith. Is there any reason I can’t do the band saw boxes if I am willing to do a lot of hand sanding?

Chuck Hayes
12-28-2005, 8:43 PM
Ron;

I have made numerous bandsaw boxes with just a wilton OSS. You will need to sand the inside corners by hand. A belt sander would be nice for to outside of the boxes, but not at all necasary.

Chuck

David Fried
12-28-2005, 8:44 PM
Ron,

I read the same book. I went out and bought a 6" belt sander. I then did a lot of hand sanding! The belt sander is only used on the outside and that is less than half the sanding and it is the easy sanding. Your OSS should be a great substitute and will make the inside sanding much easier. Still, expect a lot of hand sanding.

I did mine during the summer when I could sit on the front steps, enjoy the sunset, and talk with the neighbors as I sanded.

Have fun!!

Dave Fried

David Wilson
12-29-2005, 9:00 AM
Ron
I have built a few bsb,s and do not have a belt sander. I use an OSS rof most of the sanding. It is very important to sand the interior of the boxes before reattaching the back. Good luck and have fun.

Dan Larson
12-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Go for it, Ron. I built this box without using a belt sander or an OSS.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26030

Have fun, and post a few pics when you're done!

Dan