PDA

View Full Version : help with tool purchase by 12/31!

Peter Pedisich
12-28-2005, 8:06 PM
First, thanks to everybody who has helped with my previous questions on this topic...I assure you it is helpful and appreciated.

Some rebates I'm going to use (Festool and Panasonic) will run out 12/31/05 so I will make my purchases tomorrow.

1) Panasonic 12v impact (rebate for free 12v drill body) -or- Festool C12.
I do mostly trim carpentry and cabinetry projects - is an impact driver overkill for me? Will the festool be strong enough? it will be replacing a 12 year old DW 12v.

2) Jigsaw. between Bosch 1591 and Festool Trion (yes, I've read all the archives)
my main questions are if the Festool is so much smaller (checked out both today in person) can it be as smooth and powerful as the Bosch? is there some compromise? And, the Festool has no blower - is this a big deal? (current older B&D has no blower) Does the Bosch make as straight a cut in thick material as the Festool?

Going with the Panasonic/Bosch combo I save $200 and I get an extra 12v drill while still getting quality tools.
Going with the Festool I get the special chucks and a more comfortable (to me) Jigsaw.

Thanks!

Jim W. White
12-28-2005, 8:49 PM
I have both a Panasonic driver and the Bosch jig saw. I think they are both excellent tools and would serve you well.

I've had the Bosch jigsaw for several years now and still MARVEL at how well it operates. I'm sure the Festool is sweet; but I can't see it being any better in function and I'm sure it costs a lot more.:(

The panasonic drills are very well balanced and extremely light for the power. I think 12v is the perfect size for woodworking also. Again, I'm sure that C12 is just incredible, and I TOO have lusted over the technical reviews of it in various magazines.... but the only question is, do you really need it? ...if you do, go for it! ...if not the Panasonic is a very sound performer and I'd much rather have two units than one. I have two, actually three 12v drills (2 bosch and 1 Pan.), and having two really is usefull when your in full assembly mode and you can keep a driver in one and and the other configured with the pilot drill.:D

my 2 cents,

Jim in Idaho

Frank Pellow
12-28-2005, 9:02 PM
I have the older pre-Trion Festool jig saw (PS2) and it can certainly cut anything that I have thrown at it and cut it well. I have used the jig saw A LOT and many many different applications in the almost two years that I have owned it.

But, I would really like a blower, so that might be a good enough reason to go with a Bosch should I ever need a new jig saw.

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 9:43 PM
I love my Bosch jig saw. Couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands :D

I feel about the same with my yellow 18v drill. :eek:

Jim Becker
12-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I have cut VERY thick material with my Festool jigsaw...no power problem...and the cut was also straight up and down. I have the barrel grip which is the format I prefer for such a tool. I don't use it a lot, but do like it. The new Bosch, however, is a very good value for a very good tool.

Frank Chaffee
12-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Peter,
You don’t know how lucky you are to have this dilemma. Many years ago after I had worn out two of the old Milwaukee saber saws, and we no longer used them in production, I needed a good jigsaw in the shop to make steel clad wood dies. R&D and tooling monies were in short supply, so I bit on the best deal in town for my personal jigsaw, the Bosch 1581VS from Seven Corners Ace Hardware in St. Paul MN. Only $229.00!!! I still have it and it is an awesome saw.

I cut a lot of sheet and plate steel with this saw. For the most accurate cuts required I filed the last few thousandth of an inch to the scribe line. I only needed safety glasses then, not the 1.75 or 2.25 magnifiers that I need now.

I also cut many 30” to 60” radius arcs in Ύ” plywood and 2x material. In these cuts I could not count on the Bosch to cut squarely. No matter as I could sand off any material that stood proud of the required dimension and the wood would still be a sufficient base for the Ό” to 3/8” rolled steel that was to cover it.

The Bosch saw that you are considering is far evolved from mine. Yours likely has a blade guide and blades are changed w/o a tool. Wow!

Recently I bought a Festool jigsaw, hoping that it would cut squarely in very thick material. I have not yet cut thick material with it so I cannot attest to its performance there. John Miliunas however told me that his Festool jigsaw does not cut squarely in 3” thick stock, so if that is something you need to do check with him before making your purchase.

Best wishes Peter,
Frank

Frank Pellow
12-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Peter,
John Miliunas however told me that his Festool jigsaw does not cut squarely in 3” thick stock, so if that is something you need to do check with him before making your purchase.

Best wishes Peter,
Frank
I have definately make square cuts in 3+ inch material (cedar, spruce, and oak that I can remember) with my Festool jig saw.

Frank Chaffee
12-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Frank Pellow,
The square cutting by the Festool jig saw that you are doing is good news for me... that is why i bought it!
Frank