PDA

View Full Version : Finish for eastern red cedar

jared herbert
06-14-2020, 11:28 AM
A neighbor gave me a gnarly piece of a tree trunk from an eastern red cedar. Not big but I was able to rough out four small Bowls that have a lot of character. I have used a lot of minwax antique oil to finish other pieces and am wondering if it is a good fit for the cedar. The cedar appears to be so soft and absorbent I just don’t know how it would work. Any suggestions or experience. Thanks Jared

John K Jordan
06-14-2020, 12:15 PM
A neighbor gave me a gnarly piece of a tree trunk from an eastern red cedar. Not big but I was able to rough out four small Bowls that have a lot of character. I have used a lot of minwax antique oil to finish other pieces and am wondering if it is a good fit for the cedar. The cedar appears to be so soft and absorbent I just don’t know how it would work. Any suggestions or experience. Thanks Jared

Jared,

I've turned a lot of ERC and have tried a variety of finishes. After trying various things, what I use depends on the look I want.

I like straight (softened) beeswax rubbed in with a cloth for a soft, non-darkening finish. Sometimes heated so the wax melts into the surface.

Spray lacquer gives a smooth surface perhaps more durable than beeswax.

I sometimes use Watco "danish" oil, multiple coats.

Some examples:

Beeswax, applied with cloth, wax heated by friction on the lathe.

Beeswax applied with cloth, hand rubbed.

Beeswax, melted with a heat gun.
435005 435008

"Danish" oil, multiple coats

Long, center wand is ERC with Mylands friction polish

Deft spray lacquer, 6 coats

You might cut and smooth some small pieces and try different finishes to see what you like the best. I've seen a variety of color from different cedar trees and yours may look better to you with a particular finish.

JKJ