PDA

View Full Version : Grinder

Matt Riegerix
06-14-2020, 10:00 AM
I ordered a rikon 1/2 hp slow speed grinder last week. They are on sale for $100 at rockler right now. I used it for the first time this morning and it is a game changer. I've been struggling trying to get chisels to work in a honing guide, getting rounded bevels without a honing guide. I've had success with plane irons in a honing guide, but it limits how much of the stone I can use. I've been dishing and flattening waterstone a lot trying to get good edges. I dont why I waited so long, a few minutes at the grinder and I had a nice hollow grind, then it was so easy to hold the tool at the right angle on the stones. I'm ecstatic how much time and waterstone I'm going to save.

Frederick Skelly
06-14-2020, 10:27 AM
I bought that same tool a couple years ago and experienced the same thing - for me, it was a game changer. Glad you're enjoying yours!

I've been upgrading mine here and there to get more out of it. I bought a cbn wheel - love it. (I suspect the 1/2 hp grinder doesnt have enough ooomph to spin 2 cbn wheels but havent tried it.) I also adapted the toolholder for a Tormek - works better for me than the Lee Valley grinder tool rest. (Tormek BGM100 Bench Grinder Tool Rest Mount Kit for Tormek Sharpening Jig.)

Here's a pic to give you ideas:

Fred

Matt Riegerix
06-14-2020, 10:55 AM
Nice Fred. Thanks for the advice. I'm happy with the stock wheel and tool rest currently, but I imagine I'll get a CBN after this one wears down. I'm unsure whether I'll want a better tool rest, but time will tell