PDA

View Full Version : My $29 Slow Speed Grinder

Dick Parr
12-28-2005, 7:13 PM
Went to Woodcraft today and used my gift certificate my daughter gave me for Christmas and got their slow speed grinder that was on sale. I took a chip out of my 120 grit pink wheel and to replace it with a new wheel, it would be about half what this sold for. So I added a little to the gift certificate and now have a really nice grinder.

The picture is to keep Tyler Happy.;)

Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2005, 7:16 PM
Looks good Dick. I just got my Wolverine Jig set up today. Will try and sharpen my gouges tomorrow.

Ernie Nyvall
12-28-2005, 7:25 PM
Congrats Dick. That sounds like a great deal.

Ernie

Keith Burns
12-28-2005, 8:14 PM
Great gloat Dick ! I know you'll love it:) :)

Jim Ketron
12-28-2005, 8:23 PM
Nice Deal Dick!
Mine is still in the box:o

Travis Stinson
12-28-2005, 8:35 PM
Good deal Dick. I got mine set up today. (It was a lil more than $29:rolleyes: )

Doug Jones
12-28-2005, 8:38 PM
Great deal on a great grinder. All this time I thought you already had one.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2005, 8:57 PM
If the mounting board was white, It would look like my set up.

Way to go. Got yourself a winner there, Dick!

Bruce

Michael Stafford
12-28-2005, 8:59 PM
Excellent deal! Use it in good health!:D

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 9:27 PM
Hi Dick,

Although mine was a little more than $29, I got it all set up earlier this week and did some practice sharpening/dullling :eek: with the Wolverine.

That WC grinder is a sweet machine for sure. I see an idea or 2 on your mounting board I may borrow :D

Good job and a great gloat.

Sparky Paessler
12-28-2005, 9:59 PM
Good buy Dick. I've been using one for about a year and it works great.

Mark Cothren
12-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Good deal, Dick!

Robert Watsek
12-28-2005, 11:07 PM
No doubt about it thats a great deal Dick!

Mine is still at the store :rolleyes:

Bob adding to my wish list :D

John Hulett
01-01-2006, 1:17 AM
I was scrolling through my archived eposides of DM's Woodworks just last night. Woodcraft had the LN Rabit Block Plane on sale and planed on getting it (got it today), and wanted to re-watche the eposide on sharpening. I noticed he mentioned his slow-speed grinder and is looked a whole lot like this one.

Now armed with my first plane, I'm looking at sharpening a little more seriousy. My previous thoughts on sharpening were, "looks like a lot of work." Now it's more along the lines of, "necessity of my chosen hobby."

Dick - instead of me telling you, "nice purchase," could you tell me what you think of it?

After watching that episode of Woodworks last night, it seemed like the best way to sharpen was 1) use a grinding wheel to get a hollow bevel, and 2 use a water stone to follow up.

This method seems pretty strait forward. Of course, the editors could have left the sequence of DM getting the "correct" angle set on his grinder. Is it really that easy? How do you determine the right angle for this grinder?

Thanks,
John

Dick Parr
01-01-2006, 1:46 AM
John, not sure I can answer your question about how to sharpen plane blades. I have only done it on a diamond stone.

But the grinder is really nice. I tool all my turning tools today and put a really great edge on all of them. No more bouncing around on the wheels. Nice and smooth.

Sorry I can't help ya with the blade but I have never tried it.

Gary DeWitt
01-01-2006, 3:32 AM
When I initially sharpened my plane blades (all Stanleys off e-bay, pre wwII) I didn't have a grinder, but you can do it with a coarse enough stone. You can even use sandpaper, and many people swear by it. I tried it out and found I could get a MIRROR finish on my plane blades and chisels, a surgically sharp edge. Here is a link to a LONG page on the subject. http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM
If you loose patience reading it, the bottom(?) ten percent has a synopsis. I also found I needed a honing guide, a device to hold the blade at an exact and consistent angle. There are several good ones on the market, just do a search.
So of course you can start out on a grinder, if you have damaged, nicked or very seriously dull or mishapen blades. There are guides available for that too. But until you hone both sides of the business area of your blades to a very fine grit, say 2000 or so, you have not used a sharp tool.
Now be careful with your new surgical blades, and have fun!

Tyler Howell
01-01-2006, 1:01 PM
I Am Happy Dick And Hope You Will Be Too With Your New Grinder.
Others Should Take Note And Understand This Is All About Me.:d
Happy New Year.