PDA

View Full Version : Screen to put in Bilco Door.

Clarence Martinn
06-13-2020, 7:04 PM
It's an off the wall idea, but I want to install a removable screen that I can place in the frame of my Bilco door when I open it . It would have to be removed either when I close the doors, or when I want to go out the stairs from the Basement. Is such a thing possible to do??? It would sit on the concrete block foundation that the Bilco door sits on.

Matt Day
06-13-2020, 7:16 PM
Buy some screen material at the big box store, and use those woodworking tools to make it yourself.

Jamie Buxton
06-13-2020, 7:55 PM
There are screen doors which roll up around a pole at the side of the door opening, and ones which roll up around a pole at the top of the opening. Perhaps you could adapt one of them to your Bilco. Here's an example -- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Andersen-36-in-x-80-in-LuminAire-White-Retractable-Screen-Door-90001/302197300

There's also roll-up screens intended for windows of various shapes and sizes. They might better fit the Bilco.

Jim Becker
06-13-2020, 8:54 PM
As an alternative, it may actually be easier to fabricate a screen setup for at the bottom of the stairs than to put something up at the door opening...

Lisa Starr
06-14-2020, 6:25 AM
At one of my prior homes, there was a wooden screen door at the bottom of the Bilco. I could open the doors on top, walk down the steps and just push the door open if my hands were full. When I was done, just close the Bilco.