PDA

View Full Version : Best applicator for Danish Oil?

Rob Luter
06-13-2020, 9:03 AM
I'm working on a little project that will feature a finish of Danish Oil and Wax. This is easy peasy on flat work but there's plenty of "nooks and crannies" on this job so I need something to apply the oil with a degree of precision. I've been using little sponge brushes to apply the oil but they're being eaten up. What's a good brush material to use? Any difference between natural and synthetic bristles when it comes to danish oil?

Jim Becker
06-13-2020, 9:08 AM
I've always just rubbed it on with a rag or paper towel. (with proper disposal afterward) For nooks and crannies that the rag/towel can't really reach directly, I'll either flood it a little with the rag or use a cheap glue brush to get the oil in there...and if necessary, blow it out with a little compressed air after it sets for a bit while wiping off the excess from the rest of the project. Wipe on finishes like this don't need fancy brushes, IMHO.

Stan Calow
06-13-2020, 9:27 AM
Danish oil is a mixture of varnish and oil and some solvent, so it doesn't act like pure oil. I use rags as well.

Ron Selzer
06-13-2020, 11:10 AM
rags for bigger areas, brushes for smaller areas
keep it wet until time to wipe off
nothing expensive or special

Prashun Patel
06-13-2020, 11:36 AM
I use foam brushes if I have to flood it on. They always last for at least one application.

John K Jordan
06-13-2020, 12:02 PM
I'm working on a little project that will feature a finish of Danish Oil and Wax. This is easy peasy on flat work but there's plenty of "nooks and crannies" on this job so I need something to apply the oil with a degree of precision. I've been using little sponge brushes to apply the oil but they're being eaten up. What's a good brush material to use? Any difference between natural and synthetic bristles when it comes to danish oil?

I use pieces of paper shop towels and small acid/flux brushes to get into tight spots. I often trim the ends of the little brushes as needed. If I had larger areas I'd probably use the cheap disposable paint brushes from the big box store.

"Danish" oil is one of my favorite finishes for wood turning - 6 to 10 coats, well "dried" between, some wet sanding as needed. Each coat applied liberally, wiped off after 20 minutes or so. Takes a week or two.

JKJ

Rob Luter
06-13-2020, 2:57 PM
Thanks all. I wound up using a small natural bristle trim brush from the graveyard of old and used brushes. It did the trick. The wood is alder and the fine face grain prefers a light application to a flood. It went on smooth, soaked in uniformly, and there wasn’t a soggy mess to wipe off, just a little bit.