PDA

View Full Version : Rust prevention on cast iron moxon handlewheels?

Jen Joy
06-12-2020, 7:32 PM
Since rust questions are trending. I finally am putting together my vice.

Benchcrafted suggests something like blo+wax or a spray on lacquer or shellac to prevent rust. Everything rusts quickly where I am and I don't own any of those so before I buy, I thought I'd ask. Any suggestions on best rust preventative for something you will handle often?

For my shop stuff I mostly put Johnson's paste wax on regularly, but not sure about using it for this purpose where I'm touching it (versus being a tool surface).

Thanks!

J. Greg Jones
06-12-2020, 10:08 PM
I seasoned mine just as one would do with a cast iron skillet. Two seasonings in the oven with grape seed oil, has worked great.

Mark Gibney
06-13-2020, 9:57 AM
Greg Jones' idea sounds great, I haven't tried it.

I've used one coat of BLO on such parts and it has worked well. I've also used one coat of hard oil (poly / BLO / thinner).

Jen Joy
06-13-2020, 4:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to bake my wheels!

Eric Rathhaus
06-13-2020, 6:24 PM
Not sure if it'll be durable enough but Penetrol or Owatrol oil leave a nice clear finish that protects v rust.

Curt Putnam
06-13-2020, 9:59 PM
CorrosionX HD. For the last 20 years, nothing I've used the stuff on has rusted.

Andrew Hughes
06-14-2020, 12:20 AM
I use shellac on my Jointers hand wheels it works great. It’s a old time way that not talked about very often

Jim Matthews
06-15-2020, 6:45 AM
I have a damp shop, too.

My Moxxon vise is installed as a permanent fixture.
The wheels are untreated, still rust free.

More important is keeping the Acme screws clear.
I used SlipIt wax for that.

FYI - I cook with Cast Iron pans, which are properly seasoned and they have a slightly tacky "feel".

J. Greg Jones
06-15-2020, 2:56 PM
FYI - I cook with Cast Iron pans, which are properly seasoned and they have a slightly tacky "feel".
If your cast iron is tacky, it is not seasoned properly. When seasoned properly, the oils are polymerized which creates a non-sticky, or tacky, surface. A sticky surface indicated that there is an excessive build up of oil on the surface.

Jim Matthews
06-15-2020, 7:40 PM
Getting the inside of the pan right is easy enough - that surface is factory smooth.

I followed the Canter method on a flea market (Korean made) 12" pan and the coarse handles still felt sticky.

The process is laborious, time consuming and as *this* fool proves, not guaranteed.

This may be more than required for a workshop solution where waxing works fine.

J. Greg Jones
06-15-2020, 8:44 PM
Canter’s method of seasoning with flaxseed oil has been highly debated in the cast iron community, but as this is not a cooking forum I suspect further discussion would not be received well by those just looking to keep their Moxon hardware from rusting. Having said that, seasoning with a couple of coats of grape seed oil is highly effective, not laborious, nor time consuming, is not sticky, and unlike waxing, lasts forever.

Jen Joy
06-16-2020, 12:33 AM
Yes, my husband had already used Cantor (http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/)'s methods for our skillet, which worked great and we still had the flax oil, so I did 3 rounds in the oven and it's a lovely dark color like J. Greg's above.

Jen Joy
06-16-2020, 12:37 AM
I will say -- I was surprised how rough the edges of my wheels are -- Greg, yours look a lot rounder and smoother?

Bob Jones 5443
06-16-2020, 1:28 AM
Yes, my husband had already used Cantor (http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/)'s methods for our skillet, which worked great and we still had the flax oil, so I did 3 rounds in the oven and it's a lovely dark color like J. Greg's above.

That's not going to rust, and you could fry an egg on it.

Maybe we should take this cast iron frying pan seasoning discussion over to the Off Topic forum. My pans are a dream to work with, never sticky, always non-stick, not oily.

J. Greg Jones
06-16-2020, 8:12 AM
I will say -- I was surprised how rough the edges of my wheels are -- Greg, yours look a lot rounder and smoother?
It’s probably just how my overhead lights are hitting them in that picture, as mine do look pretty much like yours.

steven c newman
06-16-2020, 4:59 PM
Might take a cue from the British Rail Way Signalmen.....everytime they touched the signal levers ( nice and shiny bare metal handles) they always used a rag. Whether it had a bit of oil in or not...it kept their hands off the shiny metal parts.

Maybe have a rag handy, maybe a drop or two of light oil in the rag....and not use a bare, sweaty hand on the metal handles.....you'll soon have a very thin oil surface, that will keep the rust spots away.