PDA

View Full Version : Band-saw blade search

Robert L Stewart
06-12-2020, 12:53 PM
I am looking for better quality band-saw blades. I have a Jet JWBS-18. Not into cutting veneer but need to re-saw on occasion, usually boards wider than 6". When I purchased the tool (used) it came with a few blades of unknown origin. They were 1/2" 3 tpi and re-sawed like a dream, 8/4 rift WO 8"
w x 8' L boards so I know my saw can handle it. I am thinking of: Wood Slicer from Highland Woodworking.

Any recommendations please?
I did not have much luck searching this site

Thanks, Robert

John TenEyck
06-12-2020, 1:23 PM
Woodslicers cut great for a very short period of time but dull quickly. I recommend you look at bi-metal blades in the 3/4" x 2 tpi size for resawing. They won't cut as smoothly as the Woodslicer but they will last 10X longer. Or step up to a carbide tipped blade of the same size. They will cut as smoothly as the Woodslicer, and last even longer than the bimetal. I really like the Lennox Woodmaster CT but there are plenty of fans of the Laguna Resaw King, too.

John

Bruce Wrenn
06-12-2020, 8:33 PM
Monday, call John over at Woodcraft Bands. He will steer you right! In the meantime, visit his web site

Bill Bukovec
06-12-2020, 8:40 PM
Thanks for letting me know about Woodcraft Bands. It's about 20 minutes from me!

Don Stephan
06-13-2020, 8:26 PM
My bandsaw blade supplier is Timberwolf. They have different geometries for different applications (sheet, softwood, hardwood, green wood, brass), and a good selection of blade width and teeth per inch for each blade style. They make the blades to the needed length and ship promptly.

Jim Becker
06-13-2020, 8:53 PM
Don, I've also used the Timberwolf bands from Suffolk for a long, long time, but honestly, I'm considering changing as I've realized that I've historically gotten relatively poor lifespan from them. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but trying something else will at least help me determine if I'm wrong or correct about said band life.

Dave Cav
06-14-2020, 3:28 PM
Another vote for Woodcraft Bands, great guy to deal with.

Mike Kees
06-14-2020, 3:45 PM
Don, I've also used the Timberwolf bands from Suffolk for a long, long time, but honestly, I'm considering changing as I've realized that I've historically gotten relatively poor lifespan from them. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but trying something else will at least help me determine if I'm wrong or correct about said band life.
Jim I have tried Timberwolf and my experience was they cut very well when new but seemed to dull very quickly. I still have one or two new ones at my shop that I have had for at least 10 years.

John Lanciani
06-14-2020, 5:53 PM
Lenox Diemaster II; twice the price, 5+ times the life of Timberwolf.

Matthew Hills
06-14-2020, 6:07 PM

Which tooth pattern do you like with the bimetal blades?

Matt

Joe Hendershott
06-14-2020, 6:53 PM
I had some similar experience with the Timberwolf dulling but have been happy with the Resaw King so far.

David Powell
06-14-2020, 7:23 PM
I'm also a fan of the Resaw King. As others have mentioned, I also experienced the Timberwolf dulling sooner than expected.

Bruce Wrenn
06-15-2020, 9:11 AM

And Woodcraft Bands sells these.

Zachary Hoyt
06-15-2020, 9:31 AM
Timber Wolf are good but dull relatively fast, I tried a Lenox Diemaster II and it broke at the weld in about the same amount of time it would take a Timber Wolf to get dull, so I was not impressed. Also it took a much thicker kerf, and since I am sometimes resawing high value woods like ebony and rosewood this mattered to me. I got a few blades from Highland Woodworking, they were not as sharp as Timber Wolf but stayed as sharp as they were for longer. I also have a JWBS-18, mine is an older one with the square column. I use 1/2" 3 TPI blades exclusively on it.

Stephen Bandirola
06-18-2020, 10:22 AM
I am going to try the Starrett Woodpecker Pro Bi-Metal They are M42 steel and the limited number of reviews I found say the weld is perfect. They also come in the width and tooth configuration I want.

Steve

Mike O'Keefe
06-18-2020, 8:02 PM
Lennox is what I use,no complaints. Mike O'Keefe

Mick Simon
06-18-2020, 8:24 PM
+1 for the Lenox Diemaster. Very good life and cut quality.

Thomas Crawford
06-18-2020, 8:30 PM
I use Lennox on my 16" Jet. Happy with the results and get good life out of them.

Mike Kees
06-19-2020, 11:32 PM
Check out the sticky thread at the top of the page. There is a ton of excellent info in it.

Curt Harms
06-20-2020, 6:09 AM
I have some blades from SuperCut, their premium gold. Good general purpose blades IMO. Good life, don't drift if set up properly. They also have blades optimized for resawing. I don't have one of those, it's on my list. Today their web site will let me spec blades but won't give me a price. When I last checked their blades were not inexpensive but not in Trimaster price territory either.

Dave Sabo
06-20-2020, 10:45 AM
I tried a Lenox Diemaster II and it broke at the weld in about the same amount of time .......

I think Lenox has an unconditional warranty regarding welds. Unless you DIY'd it, I'd be calling on my supplier for a new one.

Erik Loza
06-21-2020, 5:17 PM
Regarding blades breaking at the weld, I think it's important to make the distinction between the weld being defective and quality of the actual blade stock. ANY blade can be supplied with a bad weld. Back in my Italian bandsaw days, I would hear reports from customers of Lenox Tri-Masters (the most high-end blade there is) snapping at the welds from time to time, being supplied by some VERY well known third-party vendors. At the time, my company dropped a supplier of blade stock because we were getting so many with crooked joints. Blade stock was a good brand but they couldn't weld them straight. My advice: You can (and will) get lemons once in a while. Just my 2-cents.

Erik

Robert L Stewart
06-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Received my Woodcraft band saw blade order yesterday. Their selection was limited. The 1/2" 3tpi blade (5 blades @ 17.75 each, 20.00 shipping) I installed last nite sounded smooth on my 18" jet, happy so far. Will report on the cutting next.

Stewart Lang
06-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Sharpen your own blades.

I got a few blades from Timberwolf that were somewhat sharp when new, but only lasted maybe 50 linear feet of resawing. I ended up sharpening them with a belt sander stood up vertically and 600 grit sandpaper. Just touch the top of each tooth, and keep some mineral spirits spritzed on the sandpaper. I did that on my 2/3 blade and Wow! Probably twice as sharp and honestly it's lasted for months. Same exact blade.

I've heard it messes with the tooth geometry, but you're not grinding down the teeth, just brushing them on the 600 grit. I get great, accurate results when resawing, and my blades are incredibly sharp.

I also have a carbide blade which I've yet to try but I've heard good things..

Robert L Stewart
07-07-2020, 12:59 PM
So far the cutting has been very good with the new Woodcraft bands. No big volume yet. Re sawed some 3/4" thick solid bamboo ply, a good result.

Randall J Cox
07-07-2020, 8:18 PM
I've bought new old (on the shelf) Lenox Diemaster II and Starret bands off ebay with good results for the past 5-6 years (have both old Delta 10" and MiniMax 18" S45 units). New stock with a touch of rust, I just clean them and use them, no issues. Averaged about $10-12 each. Works fine for me. Randy