PDA

View Full Version : shop made mobile bases

troy havard
12-28-2005, 6:14 PM
anyone out there have any pictures of shop made mobile bases

Frank Guerin
12-28-2005, 6:19 PM
I don't do pictures. Crappy camer to start with. PC a year old and couldn't get camera software to work so gave up but I have built several from Wood Magazine that work well. You can look up the plans on the Wood site I think.

Usuall disclaimer: I don't know nothing.

Frank Pellow
12-28-2005, 7:04 PM
I have mader a few simple but quite effective bases out of 3/4 inch construction grade plywood and this set of wheels (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40133&cat=1,240) from Lee Valley.

Here is a picture of such a base that I use with my drill press:

Rob Will
12-28-2005, 7:52 PM
I have a sketch of a good simple design but I can't post it. How do I reduce the size of a file for posting here? (JPEG). E-mail me and I'll send it that way.

Rob

Jeff Eiber
12-28-2005, 8:03 PM
Here's two pictures and a drawing.

Rick Shelton
12-28-2005, 8:06 PM
Geezus, Frank. That looks downright dangerous. No wonder you're holding on with two hands. :eek:

Rob Will
12-28-2005, 8:13 PM
Jeff,
How do I make a file smaller to post here?
Thanks,
Rob

Jeff Eiber
12-28-2005, 8:30 PM
Rob,

I'm not sure how to reduce the size of an existing jpeg file but I was able to choose a 640 x 480 picture size on my camera (rather than the default setting of 2288x1712) before I took the pictures.

Jamie Buxton
12-28-2005, 8:34 PM
Troy, SMC's Search function works quite well. You can find many pictures and ideas about mobility bases that way.

Bob Johnson2
12-28-2005, 8:43 PM
Jeff,
How do I make a file smaller to post here?
Thanks,
Rob

Use Pixresizer

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Frank Pellow
12-28-2005, 8:49 PM
Geezus, Frank. That looks downright dangerous. No wonder you're holding on with two hands. :eek:
I am not sure why you think it is dangerous. Rick, maybe you think that it looks like it might tip over. But, the unit is not at all tippy or anything like that. The drill press is heavy -thus the two hands.

Rob Will
12-28-2005, 9:28 PM
Hey all you WW types, this calls for some angle iron and a few simple welds. Lets see if I was able to upload the attached sketch.
Rob

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>

Rick Shelton
12-28-2005, 9:43 PM
I am not sure why you think it is dangerous. Rick, maybe you think that it looks like it might tip over. But, the unit is not at all tippy or anything like that. The drill press is heavy -thus the two hands.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because 90% of a drill press' weight is a the very top. :) Most mobile bases are built with a lower center of gravity than what you have. If it works for you, go for it.

Tyler Howell
12-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I've been battling all week with a mobile unit for my drum sander. 2 major failures trying to get the angles straight,the center of gravity low enough and still have the weight capacity. I may have to throw in the towel and go shopping.:(

Frank Chaffee
12-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Rick,
The base on Frank Pellow’s drill press looks to be the size recommended by Delta to resist overturning moment in use. I have the same drill press.

To others who posted bases; great and better than I have done yet. Keep the ideas coming.

I am interested in mobiles that return bearing to leveling posts that are easily adjusted, especially by a screw gun.

And to bring this up one more time, search for M. Tropin (Mike)’s lever activated cam for putting swiveling wheels under a load and then returning the load to levelers.

Frank

Frank Pellow
12-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Rick,
The base on Frank Pellow’s drill press looks to be the size recommended by Delta to resist overturning moment in use. ...Frank
It is.

By the way, after Rick reply, I went out and re-tested how easy it would be to tip my drill press. I am happy to confirm that it would not be easy, in fact to tip it by myself, I would require some device such as a lever..

Frank Chaffee
12-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Frank,
I do not yet have mobility of my drill press, but I am designing a wheeled base. I know about where the CG of that thing is and your base is very stable.

Actually, I think you have more resistance at the front than you would ever need.

Nice work!

Frank

Joseph N. Myers
12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I've have just about everything on wheels. Quite simple, 3/4 plywood and some plastic 200 lb 2" casters w/ brake and stem. Wheels from CSH (Customer Service Hardware, 800-882-0009, for around $1.00). For regular units like drill press, contractor's saw, etc, 4 wheels, workbench, etc, 6 or more wheels. Works great.

Picture is band saw with HTC mobile base which I hated and the new base. HTC has the 3 wheels with 2 of them straight so you can't move it sideways. Never had any trouble with my units tipping over but I guess I would have trouble with something like a stand-alone drill press.

Regards, Joe

Rick Shelton
12-29-2005, 9:36 AM
I've been battling all week with a mobile unit for my drum sander. 2 major failures trying to get the angles straight,the center of gravity low enough and still have the weight capacity. I may have to throw in the towel and go shopping.:(

Tyler,

FYI, Rockler is selling their mobile base kits (you supply the hardwood rails) for $32 right now (retail store), $39 mail order. Not bad, considering what decent wheels cost.

Cheers.

Russ Filtz
12-29-2005, 10:28 AM
By the time you go through all the motions and buying parts, etc., you might be better off just going with the Delta mobile base at about $50. You supply the lumber or steel for the custom sized sides. I've got 2, for my TS and DP.

Used laminated maple 1X on the TS and that works well. Used SOLID steel bars on the DP. Really heavy to prevent tips, but a PAIN to drill the mount holes. Took forever and burned a few bits. Of course I drilled a few holes on the wrong sides and had to re-drill too! Still haven't figured how to clamp the DP to the base so it's still tippy, and the heavy base isn't put to use. :o

Tyler Howell
12-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Tyler,

FYI, Rockler is selling their mobile base kits (you supply the hardwood rails) for $32 right now (retail store), $39 mail order. Not bad, considering what decent wheels cost.

Cheers.
Thanks Rick,
I have a couple of them and it works great for light weight stuff but the last one bottemed out under a heavy load (300lbs) Wood Craft has a universal rated at 400lbs and not too pricy.
Like Russ said, I spent a lot of time trying to beef up The Rockler with limited success. (Welding skills would be handy now).
Once apon a time it was the journey for shop gizmos and jigs but this week I've squandered away a day and a half try to get something to work for me.:o

Jason Sanko
12-29-2005, 11:28 AM
I made these two for my TS and BS. To do it again in my new shop I will not have any mobile bases I hate having to move around and reset up my tools.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14576&d=1104970603

Frank Pellow
12-29-2005, 11:36 AM
To do it again in my new shop I will not have any mobile bases I hate having to move around and reset up my tools.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14576&d=1104970603
Jason, you are going to have to have a massive shop to avoid moving machines. And, even if you do get such a shop, I will bet right now that down the road sometime, you will want to rearrange things. All the big machines in my shop are mobile and I am so glad that they are.

Mark Rios
12-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey Jason, those bases arethe exact same ones I tried to link to in my LAMO post earlier. I wanted a better wheel for easier rolling over 3/4" edges and rough surfaces so I modified the plan so the bigger and better whells would fit. I found though that when it was all said and done a premade mobile base would have been about the same price or cheaper. About $65 or $70 for the wood and hardware. But they are really nice when they are done.

Jason Sanko
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Jason, you are going to have to have a massive shop to avoid moving machines. And, even if you do get such a shop, I will bet right now that down the road sometime, you will want to rearrange things. All the big machines in my shop are mobile and I am so glad that they are.

Guess I should rephrase it. There a a couple essential machines I am tired of moving around. I will not move my Tablesaw in the next shop at all, as well as my jointer. The Tablesaw will be the center of the shop with work paths flowing around it. I am tired of having to move it around.

My wife and I are going to buy her parents house this year when they get thier new one built. It has a shop attached to the house as well as a two car garage. The shop is walled off from the garage and the garage also has a wall seperating the two stalls. The shop is 24' Wide by 28' Deep (this will be main shop/machine area) a set of double doors connects this to the far stall of the garage which will also be shop space it is 14' Wide by 28' Deep (this will be assembly/wood storage area).

Mark Rios
12-29-2005, 11:51 AM
My wife and I are going to buy her parents house this year when they get thier new one built. It has a shop attached to the house as well as a two car garage. The shop is walled off from the garage and the garage also has a wall seperating the two stalls. The shop is 24' Wide by 28' Deep (this will be main shop/machine area) a set of double doors connects this to the far stall of the garage which will also be shop space it is 14' Wide by 28' Deep (this will be assembly/wood storage area).

What are you going to use the other garage for? Finishing? New tools? Show Room? I know your not going to just put the silly old car in there.:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Jason Sanko
12-29-2005, 11:56 AM
What are you going to use the other garage for? Finishing? New tools? Show Room? I know your not going to just put the silly old car in there.:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Probably the wifes car, but I would like to have my boat in there instead of under the car port where it is at now (I park my boat at the in laws all ready). It has been a sorce of contention about our Zero car garage we have now. Up here in Washington it rains a lot and she would like to be able to park inside.