PDA

View Full Version : Need an air powered pin nailer recommendation in the $100 range

dennis thompson
06-12-2020, 11:02 AM
As the title says, any recommendations?
Thanks

Lisa Starr
06-12-2020, 11:33 AM
I have a Hitachi (now Metabo) that I purchased as "reconditioned". I think I paid are $75.00 for it. It works well.

Bruce Wrenn
06-12-2020, 12:19 PM
I've got both a Bostich and HF pin nailer. No preference to either except price. Buy brand name nails though.

glenn bradley
06-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Terrible to say, I've been using a Harbor Freight $25 one for almost 10 years. I keep expecting the next use to be its last but, it just keeps going.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2020, 12:46 PM
I have a PC that was given to me over a decade ago. It keeps on ticking.

dennis thompson
06-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Terrible to say, I've been using a Harbor Freight $25 one for almost 10 years. I keep expecting the next use to be its last but, it just keeps going.

Well I have been using a Harbor Freight too, but it is now jamming every other pin😠

Jim Becker
06-12-2020, 1:25 PM
Mine is the Grex. Zero complaints or issues. It gets a ton of use in my shop, too, both for projects and temporary holding needs.

Ron Citerone
06-12-2020, 1:32 PM
I have the PC and have had it for a year. It doesn't get much use, but has worked without fail.

Dan Friedrichs
06-12-2020, 1:34 PM
I've got both a Bostich and HF pin nailer. No preference to either except price. Buy brand name nails though.
+1. The HF one is a gem. Use Grex pins.

Roger Bull
06-12-2020, 1:48 PM
I use the Porter Cable. It drives both headless and slight head pins. I love it.

John C Bush
06-12-2020, 4:28 PM
I have the Cadex for longer--up to 2+"s- very nice but spendy, and the HF on sale for $15-has worked well for 1" max length.

Bryce Walter
06-12-2020, 4:43 PM
I'm thinking a Grex will be my next purchase. Curious if folks find the 1 3/8 adequate, or if it is worth spending more for the 2"?

Jim Becker
06-12-2020, 4:49 PM
Bryce, I've never been in a situation where I felt that a 2" 23 gage pin was the right fastener for the job, so I've been very happy with the smaller gun. The pins follow grain and bounce off things even quicker than too long 18 gage brads do!

Ralph Okonieski
06-12-2020, 8:41 PM
I use the Harbor Freight one but use brand name nails. Not sure what exact price was but around $20. I’ve had it for maybe 10 years. It works great.

Aaron Rosenthal
06-12-2020, 11:36 PM
Cadex/Grex. Look at the tag line on Jim’s posts. The best costs more.

Bill Carey
06-12-2020, 11:41 PM
HF pin nailer here. 4 years and going strong.

dennis thompson
06-13-2020, 7:18 AM
I was Surprised by the Harbor Freight recommendations, so I went and bought one for $22, thanks for the responses

Derek Cohen
06-13-2020, 12:16 PM
Just to note another maker, I recently purchased 18g and 23g Freeman nailers. This was after reading many reviews and the recommendations of a few friends. I've only used the 23g to date, do not have anything to compare to, but these look well make and worked flawlessly with Grex pins/nails.

https://www.amazon.com/Freeman-PP123-Ergonomic-Lightweight-Pneumatic/dp/B002EVPO7W?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Drew
06-13-2020, 12:16 PM
I have not purchased a pin nailer, yet. But I think I will. I usually just grab my 18G brad nailer. A few weeks ago, need forced me to replace my 20 YO Makita brad nailer that I have not treated very kindly over the years. I had to buy a replacement from my local hardware store. They had Bostitch and Senco. I bought both and test drove them. Returned the Bostitch. The Senco is adequate, but I sure do miss the Makita. I'll most likely get a new Makita, and give the Senco to my son.

Bill White
06-13-2020, 1:49 PM
Air Locker here. Not expensive, and it works.

Jim Becker
06-13-2020, 5:31 PM
Michael, a pinner is really handy to have...there are so many instances where a tiny, headless fastener is "just the ticket" for something and they hold surprisingly well when you need them to, especially if you put them in a varying angles to lock stuff together while glue is curing. The tiny holes are very easy to disappear. And then there are those temporary needs where you want to be able to rip something apart easily. The 18 gage gun isn't the best choice there...too much holding power!

Ole Anderson
06-14-2020, 8:07 AM
Bostich, staying with the brand of my 18 ga brad nailer and 15 ga finish nailer.

Michael Drew
06-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Michael, a pinner is really handy to have...there are so many instances where a tiny, headless fastener is "just the ticket" for something and they hold surprisingly well when you need them to, especially if you put them in a varying angles to lock stuff together while glue is curing. The tiny holes are very easy to disappear. And then there are those temporary needs where you want to be able to rip something apart easily. The 18 gage gun isn't the best choice there...too much holding power!

I'm such a tool junkie. Makita pin nailer ordered.........

Jim Becker
06-14-2020, 12:44 PM
I'm such a tool junkie. Makita pin nailer ordered.........

:D It's so much fun spending other people's money... LOL. But I don't think you'll regret the investment.

Michael Drew
09-26-2020, 10:06 AM
First time using the Makita pin nailer yesterday. I ordered a few boxes of pins, ranging from 1/2 to 1.25". This Makita does not like 3/4 pins. There is something wrong with the way the sliding pin holder captures, and keeps tension on the pins. It shoots 1/2" pins OK. Have not tried any other lengths yet. I'd send this Makita back for a refund, but it's too late for that option. Pretty disappointed with Makita. My Makita 18g brad nailer was a great tool. Looks like they screwed up the pinner......

Anyone else have similar issues? Suggestions?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2020, 10:09 AM
I was given a PC years ago by a former manager. Then 2 years ago I bought a Hitachi. I used mine yesterday to attach a curved drawer front to the curved drawer bottom. I like the Hitachi.

Dave Sabo
09-26-2020, 10:21 AM
Hitachi here also.

Michael Drew
09-26-2020, 10:42 AM
It appears that Hitachi has had a name change..... Metabo HPT? I checked out the "Metabo" nailers. There are two. NP35A and NP50A... The smaller of the two has a limited range of pin lengths (5/8 - 1 3/8"), whereas the larger gun shoots a wide range from 1/2 to 2".

FWIW, the pins I bought are all Grex.

I should have read the reviews. There are a lot of dissatisfied Makita owners.

Brian Holcombe
09-26-2020, 11:06 AM
If any of you need a stapler, Josef Kihlberg. I bought one for upholstery, that thing is sweeet.

Jim Becker
09-26-2020, 4:52 PM
If any of you need a stapler, Josef Kihlberg. I bought one for upholstery, that thing is sweeet.
Is that a wide crown unit? They are harder to come by, but yea...very useful. I have an inexpensive one off Amazon that I use when I'm making photo frame/panels for a client...I use the staples instead of vee-nails on the back of the mitered corners.

Osvaldo Cristo
09-26-2020, 6:44 PM
As the title says, any recommendations?
Thanks

I really like Makita AF505N Brad Nailer as I have used it for three years. I am not a heavy user but certainly I have used it for more than 5,000 brads from 20 mm t o 50 mm (2 inches), most of them were 30mm. No single jam.

Less than USD 100 in the USA.

Recommended.

jamil mehdi
09-26-2020, 6:48 PM
I have a Grex, a PC, and a Hitachi. Why three? It's the tool I'm most likely to forget at the shop and re-buy because it's easier than driving back. Pin nailers and coping saws... I don't think I've ever used a coping saw twice, just keep buying them. At Christmas this year, everyone is getting a pin nailer or a coping saw, lightly used.

Jim Becker
09-26-2020, 8:56 PM
I really like Makita AF505N Brad Nailer as I have used it for three years. I am not a heavy user but certainly I have used it for more than 5,000 brads from 20 mm t o 50 mm (2 inches), most of them were 30mm. No single jam.

Less than USD 100 in the USA.

Recommended.

23 gauge pins (headless fasteners) are a different animal...

Curt Harms
09-27-2020, 8:42 AM
Air Locker here. Not expensive, and it works.

Another Air Locker user! Uncommon brand. Mine shoots 1 3/16" (30 mm), I wouldn't mind 1 3/8" (35mm). My gun has a safety sort of like bigger guns, a metal loop around the tip. The metal loop can prevent getting the tip real close to a vertical part, I think the two trigger arrangement is better. The gun works well though, I don't think I've ever had a misfire or jam.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-27-2020, 8:56 AM
I have a Grex, a PC, and a Hitachi. Why three? It's the tool I'm most likely to forget at the shop and re-buy because it's easier than driving back. Pin nailers and coping saws... I don't think I've ever used a coping saw twice, just keep buying them. At Christmas this year, everyone is getting a pin nailer or a coping saw, lightly used.

I can totally related, but not with pin nailers or coping saws specifically.

Mine is a Bosch, works great so far, had it a couple of years.

johnny means
09-27-2020, 10:11 AM
I've got a Grex, PC, and a Bostich, all have performed as designed for years. The Grex is the 2" model. It's my go to, especially in finished work situations where I just need a little holding power untill glue sets up.

Mike Henderson
09-27-2020, 1:01 PM
I have the Grex which will shoot 2" pins. I don't think I ever used 2" pins. Great pinner - never had a problem.

Of course, that's more than $100.

Mike

Jim Matthews
09-27-2020, 3:56 PM
Came with my "Quiet" compressor from California Air Tools. $35 for a blemo.

https://ultraquietaircompressor.com/CALIFORNIA-AIR-TOOLS-NGTQ18G-18-Gauge-Brad-Nail-Gun-CAT-NGTQ18G.htm