PDA

View Full Version : Testing ways to unglue joints. Thanks for all the help guys!

Gary R Katz
06-11-2020, 5:59 PM
Two days ago I posted a plea for help to fix a bad furniture assembly of a cherry bedside table. I got lots of good ideas and encouragement. I wanted to described what worked best in this situation.

The glue I used on the joints was original Titebond. The frame of the table was glued to a laminated apron glued together with TB II. I was concerned whatever technique I used would also delaminate the front apron. Fortunately none of these trials seem to affect the laminates.

I tried each of the techniques suggested in my earlier post, water, vinegar and heat. I sprayed hot water on a joint for about 20 minutes and tried to scrape any exposed glue with only minor success.

Next I used vinegar (a stronger concentrated version than retail vinegar) and had a fair amount of success but I resorted to using a Japanese flush cutting saw wherever I could to separate the pieces. The downside of vinegar is the extensive stain you can see in the photo. And the saw teeth clog every few strokes.434796

Finally I used a heat gun which easily separated the joints in about 15 minutes. There was no burning or charing of the wood.

The heat gun wins by far.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to write ideas and support. You guys are great.

Jacob Mac
06-11-2020, 7:05 PM
Glad it worked. That's going to be a beautiful table